PDA

View Full Version : Tent Cots?

Convert
02-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Thinking about getting one for those runs where you are moving daily or the :Princess: is not going. We have a very nice 4 season tent that is easy/quick to set up but is way more than I need alone. No an RTT is not the answer she does not want to sleep on the roof and climb down a ladder. Just looking for pros and cons of the tent cots.Thanks Dan:thumb:

Beater
02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
need more information...

1 person, 2 person, 3 person?

backpack?
true 4 season?
vestibule important?

I NEVER skimp on tents... I think that least I have paid for a tent was for my backpacking unit, similar to a sky-view, for like 120, and that was on major close out.

my 3 person backpackable 3/4 season was around 340.00 on sale

Convert
02-12-2009, 07:03 PM
oversize 1 person need a rain fly and want to stay dry. if I need 4 season I will use the one I have

Romer
02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
My Oasis II RTT is like a tent cot. You saw how it worked on the Rubicon and fit two fine on the roof and on the ground. weighs only 42 pounds and hangs on the wall of the garage when not being used.

bigbluefj
02-12-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat602107&id=0034805516987a&navCount=2&podId=0034805&parentId=cat602107&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

I have a friend that has this and he seem's to like it...

Convert
02-12-2009, 07:42 PM
My Oasis II RTT is like a tent cot. You saw how it worked on the Rubicon and fit two fine on the roof and on the ground. weighs only 42 pounds and hangs on the wall of the garage when not being used.

Thanks Ken forgot about that one. Are you going on the Overnight prerun to the Swell? If not any chance of field testing the Oasis II. I like the option of on the roof or ground.

Convert
02-12-2009, 07:43 PM
PS Is that the ladder that comes with the it ?

Romer
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
I am 80% going, if not I'll let you borrow it. I'll decide by the end of the month.

Romer
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
PS Is that the ladder that comes with the it ?

Yes

Convert
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Thank You :thumb:

Uncle Ben
02-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Thinking about getting one for those runs where you are moving daily or the :Princess: is not going. We have a very nice 4 season tent that is easy/quick to set up but is way more than I need alone. No an RTT is not the answer she does not want to sleep on the roof and climb down a ladder. Just looking for pros and cons of the tent cots.Thanks Dan:thumb:

Dan,
If ya wanna try the tent cots I have two of the oversize ones you are welcome to use.

Convert
02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Dan,
If ya wanna try the tent cots I have two of the oversize ones you are welcome to use.

Thanks I will shout if needed

Beater
02-12-2009, 09:04 PM
if you need to borrow 2 person backpacking tent, you can borrow mine, as long as you air it out when done... lol

It's not made anymore, so I just be gentle...

VERY roomy for what it is, with two vestibules...

with no fly, you have something like a 240 degree view out... awesome at night

j

Red_Chili
02-13-2009, 08:29 AM
I've thought a lot about a tent cot for solo trips, seems very convenient. The only thing is, where do you put your boots and clothes such that they don't get rained on? Underneath only works so well, depending on wind.

I love sleeping on a cot in my tent these days, versus the ground, the only thing to remember is that your butt won't be as insulated if it is COLD, and you need to have a plan for taking care of that.

nakman
02-13-2009, 08:48 AM

Dude quit showing those pictures of the Rubicon... we had everyone convinced that it was a "tough" trail, now you go and throw that up there.. sheesh.

farnhamstj
02-13-2009, 08:50 AM
I have two of these. They are the greatest sleeping pads ever made. Like a thermorest but made of white water rafting materials. Totally bomber. Jump on it on broken glass and you'd have a hard time getting it to go flat. I have no experience with a cot but thought I'd share. http://www.coloradokayak.com/Jacks-Plastic-Welding
Added bonus is if your sleeping in a wash and a flash flood comes, you can just ride it down through the rapids.

Hulk
02-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Like a thermorest but made of white water rafting materials. Totally bomber. Jump on it on broken glass and you'd have a hard time getting it to go flat. I have no experience with a cot but thought I'd share. http://www.coloradokayak.com/Jacks-Plastic-Welding

Good to know. My old Thermarests have a really slow leak, so that they are full when you fall asleep, and flat when you wake up.