PDA

View Full Version : 69 FJ55 fun

timmbuck2
02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
So you may have read that I bought Frontrange4x4's 1969/77 FJ55, and he had sold the 4.88 gears and ARB locker to Mtntrucker. So we had a gear swapping party where somehow I had to do all the work! :D Had 2 issues with the swap:

1. Rear diff somehow ended up with a bunged up stud...and of course it was the lowest stud possible, so it leaked like crazy. Pretty much drained the diff overnight. Thought I would just pull the stud, but of course there is no room between the stud and the diff housing for a stud puller. So.....guess that means I have to pull the cover, take out the locker (NOT looking forward to that), unbolt driveshaft, take off diff, pull stud, replaces stud, replace gaskets, install locker, and reinstall everything else. :mad:

2. When Ige went to hook up the front driveshaft she could not pull it out the couple of inches it needed, so she asked "strongman Timm" to do it and I could not budge it. Then we even hooked up a chain to it and my considerable weight pulling on it would not budge it. :rant: We ended up tying it to the frame with some wire we had lying around. Any ide why or how that could happen? I will be taking it off and see what I can do...I also have as extra driveshaft if needed.

:thumb:
T

nakman
02-13-2009, 12:35 PM
2. Is there some crazy vacuum action in the splines? did you try removing the zirc fitting? :confused:

corsair23
02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
2. When Ige went to hook up the front driveshaft she could not pull it out the couple of inches it needed, so she asked "strongman Timm" to do it and I could not budge it. Then we even hooked up a chain to it and my considerable weight pulling on it would not budge it. :rant: We ended up tying it to the frame with some wire we had lying around. Any ide why or how that could happen? I will be taking it off and see what I can do...I also have as extra driveshaft if needed.

If I understand you right you cannot extend the front driveshaft so that it can be bolted up at both ends correct?

My first thought is if there is a zerk on the shaft and if so did you remove that? That might release the pressure/suction and allow the two pieces to pull apart. Not much advise but hey, it's free :hill:

Edit: Nakman beat me to it :) - I feel better now that my suggestion matches his :thumb:

Shark Bait
02-13-2009, 02:04 PM
I thought the diff studs screwed in and out? Some PB Blaster and a vise grips should do it. I'd probably snap the stud off trying. :D

If you get the zirc fitting off, try some PB both inside and out. If it's frozen you might as well get a new drive shaft. It needs to be able to slide in and out.

Chris

FJBen
02-13-2009, 02:54 PM
I might have a front driveshaft for a pig. Lemme check my stash at home. If so you are welcome to have it.

Chris
02-13-2009, 03:13 PM
What struck me odd about the DS is that after unbolting the front it sucked in and wouldn't budge. Crazy vacuum action seems the only answer.

Timm, the good news is that it's the rear diff bunged bolt, not the front.

PabloCruise
02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
What struck me odd about the DS is that after unbolting the front it sucked in and wouldn't budge. Crazy vacuum action seems the only answer...

Cold temps = vacuum on a sealed system.

Did you try hitting it with a torch? :eek: :D

Beater
02-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Cold temps = vacuum on a sealed system.

Did you try hitting it with a torch? :eek: :D

you beat me to it. sizzle sizzle, drip drip!

Chris
02-13-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't hit anyone else's truck with a torch. :D

We were inside for 11 hours so I don't think cold was a factor. ;)

treerootCO
02-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Double nut the stud and take it out with a wrench.

timmbuck2
02-13-2009, 06:39 PM
good idea, but it is so buggered I can't get a nut on there...

Chris
02-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Timm, you should be able to tap those threads with the dif out. I suspect it just got whacked when the pumpkin was pulled or replaced, easy to do.

timmbuck2
02-14-2009, 01:09 PM
probably...was just hoping to not have to pull the whole diff, especially the locker!! that took me forever to install...

anyone have a place I can wrench on Monday? I have the day off,and my garage is unavailable...

SROR/AKA 2BAD
02-14-2009, 08:33 PM
got a welder?

weld a nut and back it out.

timmbuck2
02-14-2009, 09:04 PM
darn good idea! now I just need a garage and a welder. :)

got a welder?

weld a nut and back it out.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
02-15-2009, 12:24 AM
gotta know someone up that way that can do that for ya.
drive it to castle rock and i'll do it for ya.
out in the cold!!

we don't need no stink'n garages :D

art hog
02-15-2009, 11:37 AM
bring it to me and you can pick-up your back seat too.

timmbuck2
02-15-2009, 11:45 AM
good idea...PM me your address :)

Jacket
02-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Double nut the stud...

That's almost sig worthy... :eek:

leiniesred
02-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Pump front driveshaft full of cheap grease to push the slipyoke apart.

Mark the shaft/splines first.
You'll have to take it all the way off too scoop out some of the extra grease when you are done, but it'll work fast. I bet you can pull it apart as soon as it starts moving.

bigbluefj
02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
I never have this problem with my ds they seem to fall apart and smack me in the head..
ouch...