PDA

View Full Version : Sequioa vs. 100 series

FJBen
02-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Okay, sooo...the wife and I are considering the Sequioa also to the 100 series. This is basically a soccermom SUV with the occasional camping trip (not wheeler) It appears we could get a lot newer sequioa with less miles for less money.

I realize that the fit/finish isn't as good as the 100, and MY biggest hangup is the lack of fulltime 4wd. I know this is blasphemous for me to think about but...

oh and mini-van isn't a consideration whatsoever :lmao:

Any other issues or concerns we should be worried about.

Jacket
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
You might find this recent discussion on Expo interesting?

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23212

powderpig
02-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Toyota's Multi mode system is a great switch from the full time.
If it is close to the system(which I am sure it is). You will find a switch for 2 wheel drive, all wheel drive, center locked(usually a 2nd switch for center) all wheel drive and low range. Any how it will take a bunch of stress and save a bit of fuel over the all wheel drive system. I would not be too concerned with the loss of full time of the 100 series. But you are right in that it is not the same build quality, but you will get a more roommy vehicle that drive quite nice.

Romer
02-16-2009, 11:12 AM
My wife has the newer 4runner and so does Robbie's. It gets better gas mileage and is a pretty good vehicle for that use.

You could rationalize to yourself it's on the same frame as a Prado 120 landcruiser :D

FJBen
02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks Robbie! I figure it's toyota, it can't be that bad.

Hey Romer, my wife thinks the 100's are kinda small, bigger than the 80 but small. No way in hell we'd fit in 4 runner. Last time I tried my head was literaly on the sunroof:eek: It feels stupidly small to me. Of course I"m 6'4"so that doens't help. :D

Any years of the Sequioa to steer clear of?

wesintl
02-16-2009, 04:05 PM
dude, 6'4" is the new 5'8" you ain't that tall anymore ;)

FJBen
02-16-2009, 04:12 PM
dude, 6'4" is the new 5'8" you ain't that tall anymore ;)

I know, my brother in law is 7'0 330lbs. But they still don't make cars that fit me any better :)

wesintl
02-16-2009, 05:31 PM
:eek:

My sisters brother is either 6'7 or 6'9 and he drives a new runner. I dunno if he has the seat pimped or what but he seems to like it.

I dunno how you drive 80's all the time. To me it's small for a driver. I can never stretch out my legs. It's kinda tight. If I had to drive one all the time I'd have to modify the seat brackets. The couple trips we've taken I felt really cramped as a driver. Just shooting around town it ain't that bad.

Uncle Ben
02-16-2009, 07:16 PM

My sisters brother is either 6'7 or 6'9 and he drives a new runner. I dunno if he has the seat pimped or what but he seems to like it.

I dunno how you drive 80's all the time. To me it's small for a driver. I can never stretch out my legs. It's kinda tight. If I had to drive one all the time I'd have to modify the seat brackets. The couple trips we've taken I felt really cramped as a driver. Just shooting around town it ain't that bad.

One of the first mods I did on my 80 was Landtanks seat mod! Without it I was constantly kicking the tranny out of overdrive as my knee hit the shifter. Wes, wouldn't your sisters brother be named Wes? :rolleyes: ;)

LARGEONE
02-16-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm about 6'3' and fit pretty well in the newer 4-runner style. I was originally looking for a 2001/02, but quickly realized my head was up to the ceiling. The '03 and later have quite a bit more head room.

wesintl
02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
One of the first mods I did on my 80 was Landtanks seat mod! Without it I was constantly kicking the tranny out of overdrive as my knee hit the shifter. Wes, wouldn't your sisters brother be named Wes? :rolleyes: ;)

lol :hill: meant wife's brother. But my sisters brother is named Will. I've been sick for a week and this cough actually hurts now. I musta been in a codine cough syrup daze earlier.:rant:

I might have to do the land tank mod. Does he sell them? i don't hang out in the 80 section.

nakman
02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
... i don't hang out in the 80 section.

No need, there's a "merchant storefront" area now.. http://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/130272-landtank-80-series-seat-bracket-sign-up-thread.html

FJBen
02-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Yeah, the rest of the 4 runners just feel small and they don't have the 3rd row do they?

I agree the 80 is a little cramped after a long trip...but compared to driving my 40 to Kansas, it's gucci!

We went and drove an 04 Sequioa last night. It's a mixed review. It has more storage bins and cupholders than I could ever imagine using :D but the ride/feel is definitely not Land Cruiser like. It really feels more like an Expedition or Tahoe.

She likes the extra space, but it's hard to explain...doesn't feel quite right to me...I'm also worried about the tranny failures I was reading about. Is that an issue I should be worried with or?

SteveH
02-17-2009, 08:35 AM
There's a lot of discussion on Mud about 100s vs Sequoias. I was driving my '80 and asked a guy at a gas station if he liked his Sequioa and he said 'no, it's nothing like an '80 (which he had owned). In a vacuum, I suspect they're fine, but if you've owned an '80 or 100, I think it'll feel like a downgrade. Price may a be a big factor, and gas mileage, to some extent, too. I'd certainly look at one to replace our '80, but not until that time comes. When I sat in a new Sequoia a few years back, the seat stitching was crooked and it felt mini-vannish inside - plastic bag holders in the cargo area - felt much too Chrysler-ish for me. Just my .02

Nay
02-17-2009, 10:32 AM
It really feels more like an Expedition or Tahoe.

It is more like an Expedition or Tahoe :D

But that of course is the point - a large 4x4 with minivan features.

I personally think that with 3 kids now (it's 3, right? - if not, get the 100 and ignore the rest of this post) that you have to make your decision with the 3rd row in mind. Split row 3rd is essential so 1 can ride in the rear with 2 in the middle while having room for gear with part of the 3rd folded down.

Access to the rear is also critical - I would not buy anything that doesn't have middle row captains chairs so the older kid(s) can get to the back on their own.

Based on this, I wouldn't buy a 100. My older boys climb into the 80 rear seat from the sliding rear windows (to the great envy of their friends :hill:), and you can't do that with a 100 and it's minivan rear windows, so every time you are getting kids into the back you have to flip up a middle seat or have them climb over. If you have two in car seats, this is not feasible, because the seats don't flip forward well with a carseat bolted in.

Also, on a long trip in a 100, are you going to put 3 kids in the middle row so you have enough cargo room? STOP TOUCHING ME!!! MOM!!! DAD!!! BILLY WON'T STOP TOUCHING ME!!! YOU TWO STOP IT, WE HAVEN'T EVEN LEFT THE DRIVEWAY YET!!! :lmao:

I wish I could pick up a new Sequoia, which would tow my 80 over the passes faster than I can drive it when heading West for big trips. Would be ideal, because :Princess: would have a posh 4x4 for touring for those harder core days in say Moab where I want to wheel and she doesn't. The older Sequoias really don't have the engine for that kind of towing.

You *need* a minivan now that you are past two kids, it just hasn't sunk it yet (it will, fight it as you may). And then have a wheeler for mountain trips. Absent that, a Sequoia would be a good all around choice.

The more it feels like a minivan the better, because you have a minivan life now even if you don't have a minivan mindset yet :D. I was in your shoes going from two kids (I'll never drive a minivan, ever) to 3 and 4 kids (I would never trade my minivan for a full size SUV with young children).

I've driven a few full size SUV's after owning a Nissan Quest, and I've always been happy to get back into the van. They are just far better family haulers in every way.

FJBen
02-17-2009, 01:04 PM
I LOATHE the minivan. We had a sienna for 3 months and I hated every second of it. We had a nice leather sienna and I still just didn't like it. Drove like a car, and I REALLY didn't feel safe at all. Whether it is or not I dunno, but it doesn't feel like it.

Bikeman
02-17-2009, 01:57 PM
With our 2006 Nissan Armada, even with only one kid, we have used every square inch of the interior space and find the V-8 power to be nice on highway trips. Plus, when we get dirt bikes again in a couple years, it will pull them without hesitation. 14 MPG isn't all that bad, compared to an 80 or 100. FWIW, we have had a trouble-free 40 K miles on the rig. The brakes have not shown any wear yet, either. The third row seats fold flat, and with the front folding pass. seat, I can get an 11' ladder in it! Plus it came with 285's from the factory! They can be found used for under 20K, below comp. Toyotas.

My sis in PHX has had a Sequioa now for 4 years and just had the rear driveshaft literally fall off to the ground while driving the other day. Otherwise, it's been reliable.

Jenny Cruiser
02-17-2009, 07:37 PM
I LOATHE the minivan. We had a sienna for 3 months and I hated every second of it. We had a nice leather sienna and I still just didn't like it. Drove like a car, and I REALLY didn't feel safe at all. Whether it is or not I dunno, but it doesn't feel like it.

It's not about you bro. It's for your family. Suck it up and go mini.:)

Beater
02-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I just drove the vw minivan for a week. WAY useful. The captains seats for the rear passengers are a must, and rear access was awesome.

I too loathe minivans, but you just can't beat them when it comes to versatility combined with 2-12 year old kid hauling... and dogs, and kayaks, and bikes, and motorcycles, and well you get the point. I think a sienna might be a little small though.

j

farnhamstj
02-17-2009, 08:40 PM
We owned a Sequoia for about 2 years. It was my wife's car after the birth of our 1st child and through her second pregnancy. She LOVED it. She felt safe driving it. We owned the 100 at the time also. Quality of the 100 is better sure. But given the choice my wife drove the Sequoia over the 100. If we didn't wheel we for sure would have kept the Sequoia. So it sounds perfert for her needs too. Sequoia just feels cheep inside vs 100 to me, my wife didn't see the difference. We sold it because we didn't need 2 cars and the Sequoia is big. and sometimes I wear the pants in the family, sometimes.

FJBen
02-18-2009, 08:27 AM
It's not about you bro. It's for your family. Suck it up and go mini.:)

Exactly, it's for my family. Thats why I choose Land Cruisers to be really safe. The mini doesn't feel safe WHATSOEVER to me. An extra 422 cupholders and an easier way to the backseat doesn't trump safety no matter what. If my wife would have been in the minivan and hit that subaru, I guarantee we wouldn't still be driving it.

The sequoia wasn't bad by anymeans...I'm really not a fan of the cloth at all, but finding the limited has been very hard for a decent price. It feels bigger and more lumbering than the cruisers, however it feels like it has more power, maybe it's the 2WD thing, i dunno.

Ultimately it is up to her, the only thing that worries me is reading about tranny failures on some.

Hulk
02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I too loathe minivans, but you just can't beat them when it comes to versatility combined with 2-12 year old kid hauling... and dogs, and kayaks, and bikes, and motorcycles, and well you get the point.

I must agree. We love our Honda Odyssey, even though my wife was squarely against minivans. We bought it used for under $10K, and we have driven it all over the U.S. Great fuel economy, plenty of power (V6), leather, four captains chairs, a back seat that folds flat without having to pull it out, and tons of room for hauling people and stuff.

It's no Land Cruiser, but so what? I have my 80 and I'm happy.

FJBen
02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
How good of gas mileage do the sequoia's get?

Our has gets about 15ish on the highway. 17.5 once on the way to texas :eek:

Does the 2wd allow for a "little" better mileage?