PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering parts

RicardoJM
02-17-2009, 08:02 AM
I will be installing mini-truck power steering into my 1971 FJ40 and am in need of parts.

High pressure line

Does anyone have any of these items that they would like to sell/trade? All the items I need are available from vendors that support Rising Sun and TLCA but if I can free up storage space for anyone local, that would help both of us. :cheers:

timmbuck2
02-17-2009, 08:06 AM
would a pig steering shaft work?

I will be installing mini-truck power steering into my 1971 FJ40 and am in need of parts.

Dual pulley for the crankshaft
2F alternator bracket
Steering box bracket
Sag pump
High pressure line
Pump bracket - that lets me keep my 1F air filter housing
73+ steering shaft (the one with a rag joint)

Does anyone have any of these items that they would like to sell/trade? All the items I need are available from vendors that support Rising Sun and TLCA but if I can free up storage space for anyone local, that would help both of us. :cheers:

SteveH
02-17-2009, 08:43 AM
I used a '71 pig steering shaft and column, with a '78 steering wheel and a custom welded 4Runner spline end (at the box end). This connected to a '83 minitruck steering box. So, yes - if you cut the end off an old pig steering column (and remove the column shifter bits as needed), it will work. I suspect a later pig column would work, too, but I used an early one so that I woudn't have both in-dash and column ignition switches. All this went into my '65 FJ45. Consider stuff like turn signal and horn wiring before you commit too far down the line - early turn signal wiring is different than later stuff.

subzali
02-17-2009, 12:06 PM
When I go power steering on my truck I will no longer need my rag joint steering shaft. You would have to get a new rag joint though, I'm not sure how much life mine has left in it.

RicardoJM
02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
I picked up the steering shaft, alternator bracket and a smog pump bracket in the junk yard today. I didn't grab the rag joint as the rubber was very old, soft and brittle. I'll be safer getting a new one.

RicardoJM
02-18-2009, 06:40 PM
With some good guidance from Crash on a tool shop I picked up a 1 13/16" socket (close enough to the 46mm) needed to get the crankshaft dual pulley from the 2F in the junkyard. As an added bonus, I also picked up the water pump dual pulley.

Steve, thanks for tip about Charlies Second Hand Tools, the use of your 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and the company this afternoon. Treeroot, thanks for you post (on MUD some time ago) about using a strap wrapped around the pulley and frame to hold things tight while removing the big nut - worked out very well. :thumb: