PDA

View Full Version : I am in need of some emissions tires please

RockRunner
02-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I thought I had one more year but I was wrong. I need to borrow some tires from somebody to get my emissions done. Anybody on the south side have a set I can use please.

Give me a call or PM if you would and I will pick them up and drop them off.

PS what is the largest size they allow? Nevermind just found it, 34" FYI.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

bh4rnnr
02-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I thought I had one more year but I was wrong. I need to borrow some tires from somebody to get my emissions done. Anybody on the south side have a set I can use please.

PS what is the largest size they allow?

33 inch is the biggest they will allow. Be sure to drive on the highway for a extended amount of time before the e-test. It realy does work wonders.

If you want, you can barrow the runner and the tires of my truck since it doesnt get drivin all to often, I think the last time was to the parents house for x-mas....

bigbluefj
02-18-2009, 09:20 PM
So What do tire's have to do for emissions testing please explain??

theboomboom
02-18-2009, 09:28 PM

they can't be too large for their equipment when they strap your rig in.

Uncle Ben
02-18-2009, 10:47 PM

Newer vehicles here have to do a dyno test Kev. That means they get strapped down to a set of rollers and then the vehicle gets "driven" in a predetermined power curve to simulate driving conditions in theory. The rollers are not designed for over sized tires and safety becomes a huge issue if something goes wrong and the vehicle jumps off the rollers while accelerating at 50+mph!

bigbluefj
02-18-2009, 10:55 PM
ah i see say's the blind man, so the 40" MTR's won't cut it than??

Air Randy
02-18-2009, 11:15 PM

PS what is the largest size they allow? Nevermind just found it, 34" FYI.

This should be the last year for you to do regular emissions eh? In two more years you should be over the 25 year limit, then you can get the basic test with no dyno required and do collector plates so you're good for like 5 years.

ScaldedDog
02-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Tom, you're welcome to mine. They are in storage at Kipling and Ken Caryl, and I can arrange to meet you there.

Gimme a call - three-oh-three-eight-oh-nine-seven-oh-seven-four.

BTW, they are 33x12.50's on 15" wagon wheels.

Mark

Hulk
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
This should be the last year for you to do regular emissions eh? In two more years you should be over the 25 year limit, then you can get the basic test with no dyno required and do collector plates so you're good for like 5 years.

Partially correct. The old basic test is for vehicles 1981 and older. It is not a moving target the way that the "25 years old" requirement is.

In two more years, he can get the dyno test (again), then get collector plates that are good for 5 years. My understanding is that collector plates can be renewed without a new emissions test, so his test in 2011 may be his last emissions test ever.

RockRunner
02-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Tom, you're welcome to mine. They are in storage at Kipling and Ken Caryl, and I can arrange to meet you there.

Gimme a call - three-oh-three-eight-oh-nine-seven-oh-seven-four.

BTW, they are 33x12.50's on 15" wagon wheels.

Mark

Mark that is great, also on the way to the E test place. I will call you.

Red_Chili
02-19-2009, 12:10 PM
33 inch is the biggest they will allow.
Tell that to Squishy... who got his tested with 35x12.50/15s. They actually comply with the regulations, which specifically state the tires must measure 34" or less.

I found this out after I drove the Chili to the place with bitty 33x10.50/15s from the DD on the back. Waste of time... though it wasn't two years earlier. Go figger.

The Sheridan emissions place is managed by a wheeler (who is also possessed of common sense, as opposed to the prior manager. At least it was last year.)

RockRunner
02-19-2009, 12:13 PM

I know, I can't wait. We don't drive the 4Runner that much so miles are fine. I did not know that we still had to do a physical inspection, but that is OK.

Cheeseman
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Hey Tom, I have a set of 31's that are real ugly worn and a set of 33 MTR's that are almost done also. They are both sitting around so you can use either set. All are at my house. I have a floor jack and small compressor as well. If you're doing this in the next three days I will be hard to get. Next week is wide open.

Greg

RockRunner
02-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks Greg, I should be OK. Mark is going to lend me his this weekend and he is really close too. If something happens I will let you know.

Thanks again.............is it Moab time yet?????? Can't wait to get out of town for a while.