PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting Resource

kvanoort
02-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Does anybody have a good sandblasting resource around the Broomfield, Louisville, Lafayette area?

I'm restoring the stock steelies on my '72 40 and don't want to invest too much money into the old wheels at the moment -- I have another set of newer wheels that will be blasted and powdercoated someday when I'm ready for new tires.

My approach so far has been to grind out all the rust and pitting on the front side of the wheels. Next I'd like to sandblast the front and back of the wheels to clean up all the hard to reach areas and to give them a consistent texture, then I'll paint them with rattle cans. I don't want to bother with taking the tires off the wheels either. I'll just use some ducktape to protect the old tires.

I've taken things to A1 Metal Stripping and Colorado Powdercoating before but would like to find someplace closer to home that's cheap.

Thanks.

nakman
02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
PM Groucho. not sure on the cheap, but A+ on the blasting and powdercoating ability, I would give him your good set for sure. For the rattle can set, I'd just wire wheel them, wipe them down, then rattle can away.. save the $$ for the good set. hth..

MDH33
02-20-2009, 03:06 PM
You can buy sandblaster tanks and media fairly cheap. Just hook it up to your compressor and go for it. Works great on all those rusty FJ40 bits.

Hulk
02-20-2009, 04:18 PM
You can borrow my sand blasting setup if you like. I did it in my driveway. Once I used up all my media, I'd sweep it up and strain it before putting it back in the sand blaster. You'll need compressed air to use it.

RockRunner
02-20-2009, 06:47 PM
How powerful does the compressor need to be? I have one but it is not the big one, 25 gallon 3.5 hp I think.

kvanoort
02-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all the comments and offers to help. I do have a friend that has a sandblaster tank in Louisville but his compressor is small. It may be a while before I can get the newer wheels done right and I'm too anal to do a just okay job on the old wheels. So, I'll see if I can use my friends set-up, purchase some media and spend an afternoon blasting in his alley. Thanks again.

MDH33
02-20-2009, 10:47 PM
If you've never sandblasted before, it's extrememly fast depending on the media. Probably 30 minutes tops to do 4 wheels. Don't go crazy or else you'll pit the metal.