PDA

View Full Version : Best Option for a Daily Driven Work Truck?

sgtpeper
02-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a truck that I will be driving in Denver on a daily basis for work. I'm in Real Estate Development and I'm a project manager so its a truck that will probably have a bunch thrown in the back when I have to pick up materials.

I'm thinking about an fj60 as we just sold my boss's fj40 and I liked that a lot... He liked that idea, or a toyota pickup.

Not looking to spend too much on something we have the 2500 from the fj40, and a bit more depending on if its a really solid truck, or a spectacular deal on something.

Most importantly it needs to be ROCK solid reliable more than it needs to be a looker.

Thanks for suggestions,
Jeff

timmbuck2
02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
I Pm'ed ya. For that price you should be able to find a solid 60 or 62, would make a great work truck.

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a truck that I will be driving in Denver on a daily basis for work. I'm in Real Estate Development and I'm a project manager so its a truck that will probably have a bunch thrown in the back when I have to pick up materials.

I'm thinking about an fj60 as we just sold my boss's fj40 and I liked that a lot... He liked that idea, or a toyota pickup.

Not looking to spend too much on something we have the 2500 from the fj40, and a bit more depending on if its a really solid truck, or a spectacular deal on something.

Most importantly it needs to be ROCK solid reliable more than it needs to be a looker.

Thanks for suggestions,
Jeff

DaveInDenver
02-24-2009, 04:21 PM
What sort of payloads are you talking here? Coming from a FJ40, I'm guessing not a ton of heavy hauling intended. The FJ60 could work, decent space and the floor with the back seat folded down is flat and will take what you dish out (it's metal IIRC).

I would consider a middle years pickup for a work truck, 1984-1995 with the IFS ones (1986-1995) being the better deal since they aren't as highly desired for technical trucks.

The down side of a mini truck is that sheet goods are a compromise. Goods that are 4x8 fit in the bed, but sit on top of the wheel wells a little awkwardly. It works, just less good. With the long bed (which is 7 feet) plywood and drywall fit better, but you still have to either leave the tailgate down or have it sitting on top.

I would personally get a 1989-1992 regular cab, long bed as a work truck if I was in the market, they will have a lot fewer rust issue than earlier trucks but still be reliable.

FWIW, I can verify that a regular bed, XtraCab 1991 with Northwest Offroad Stage II springs can haul just a bit over 2,000 lbs of landscaping materials (top soil, Pavestone blocks) comfortably, although slow with a 22R-E, on surfaces streets. Just as a point of reference, a 6' Hilux bed filled to the top of the rails is about one and half cubic yards of material. The brakes will stop you from 40MPH or so without much complaint. Otherwise, about a dozen sheets of drywall or about 50 or so 2x4s, no problem. If I was building a house, I'd invest in a good trailer. But our pickup has taken a beating on all the remodel junk we've done so far.

The single best feature IMVHO about the Hilux is that the tailgate is easy to release from it's side straps and flips down 180 degrees (pointing straight down at the ground) or comes off super fast, which makes unloading dirt and rock stupid easy.

sgtpeper
02-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Well the fj40 was going to be used as it was free and my boss had owned it for 10 years or so.

The heaviest thing I'd probably be carrying is a pallet of tile for the workers to install.

What engine should I look at in an old pickup? I've heard horrible things about the 3.slow :)

Do they call them the hilux in the states? Always thought that wasnt the name for them here heh.

Thanks,
Jeff

DaveInDenver
02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Nah, Toyota just called them the Pickup. But up to 1992 they were identical to the world Hilux and after 1992 they were still similar, just made in the US rather than Japan.

Don't believe the Internet wisdom, the 3.0L is just fine, particularly for a beater truck. It is slow and it might only go 250K before needing a major refresh. Oh dear. Some of them failed badly with rotten headgaskets, but since Toyota stopped using the engine about 13 years ago now my $0.02 is that any that have made it this long are either (1) part of the good ones or (b) already had their HG rework done by Toyota (it was a warranty recall to have it done).

But I have a 22R-E just the same...

sgtpeper
02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
http://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/1037460150.html

What about something like that?

Is there a difference between fj80 and fjz80? I'm a bit confused :(

Thanks guys!

timmbuck2
02-24-2009, 04:56 PM
good info on MUD:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/84888-faq-80-lx450-july-24-2008-added-lspv-modification.html

Nay
02-24-2009, 07:51 PM
The FJ80 has the 3FE engine plus the extra weight of the 80, the FZJ80 (starting in 1993) has the 4.5L. Still not a rocket at our altitudes, but serviceable.

The 80 is a great rig, but I wouldn't touch one for $3K because it will probably end up needing that much in maintenance.

sgtpeper
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
What do you guys think of the pickup I posted?

DaveInDenver
02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
What do you guys think of the pickup I posted?
It's alright, seems a little expensive to me for a regular cab. It looks like it has a body lift on it to me, which I'm not a fan of. You can find decent XtraCabs for $3K and it's nice having the space. Unless you're in a huge hurry I would look for a couple of days and see what you turn up.

sgtpeper
02-24-2009, 09:58 PM
I personally like the look of a lifted truck but an xtracab might be nice.. I dont really NEED a long bed though.

corsair23
02-25-2009, 12:37 AM

I personally like the look of a lifted truck but an xtracab might be nice.. I dont really NEED a long bed though.

Keep your eye where it counts grasshopper :)

If reliability takes precedence over looks then don't let your eye stray or be wooed...If this is truly meant to be a work truck then maybe something simple like the little Toyota 4x2 that Subzali has may fit the bill the best...I use to drive one for work and while you wouldn't be picking up ladies in it, it got great gas mileage and was super reliable. The only downside was when it snowed but some weight in the back can aid there.

sgtpeper
02-25-2009, 01:04 AM
I know I know - but sometimes you get lucky and find both :). I told my boss I don't want to drive something completely boring hehe.

I do need 4x4 though as I'll need to get to sites no matter what the weather throws at me every day.

sgtpeper
02-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Is a pig heavier or lighter than an fj60?

MDH33
02-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Is a pig heavier or lighter than an fj60?

depends on how much of the body has already rusted away or fallen off.

Jacket
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
^:lmao:

sgtpeper
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
HAahaha Okay point taken :)

sgtpeper
02-26-2009, 10:51 AM
What do you guys think of this pig?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1051052772.html

Uncle Ben
02-26-2009, 11:49 AM
depends on how much of the body has already rusted away or fallen off.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: :thumb:

Uncle Ben
02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
What do you guys think of this pig?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1051052772.html

Going on Martins weight assessment I would say that is lighter than a 60 and in a few years it will be lighter than a 40! :rolleyes: :lmao::lmao:

sgtpeper
02-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Sooo probably a bad daily driver work truck?

MDH33
02-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Sooo probably a bad daily driver work truck?

Not really bad, but for the money you could get a newer, more dependable Toyota pickup that would be faster, better on gas, and require less maintenance. Also, an open bed seems more useful for a work rig.

Hulk
02-26-2009, 01:11 PM
A 55 falls into several categories:
* A project that you want to spend a ton of time and money on because you really love pigs
* A complete beater that may have iffy dependability
* A sweet ride that someone else has already dumped a bunch of money into, that will cost you some money to pick up, that will be too nice to use as a beater work truck.

The 55 is a collector vehicle.

If you want a work truck Land Cruiser, buy a 60 or a 62. No other Land Cruiser has the immense capacity of a 60-series anyway, so it will be a better work truck all around. You can also pick up a clean one for $5k or less, and many of them will include a lift as well. They are great rigs and very dependable.

sgtpeper
02-26-2009, 01:24 PM
The '87 in town that I looked at, and got kicked off the guys driveway before making an offer, his son contacted me and said so far his Dad would take 2700 for it but not from me haha.

Seems like a good truck.
Interior is perfect besides one crack in the side bolster of driver seat from getting in and out and the dash is cracked in like 3 places Seats had been covered their entire life until a few weeks ago so they are really clean. Even all the carpet is pretty perfect.

Exterior has one rust spot on the drivers fender at the bottom that does not touch the rocker panel. There is also a small bubble inside the passengers side rear wheel well at the very front - not visible from the outside. Everything else exterior is pretty perfect - paint could use some wax.

Frame has a bit of scaling but is very very solid. The rear part by the spare does have that wavy-ness that happens so I would need to repair that properly.

Engine sounded really really smooth and strong. Truck has 159k miles on it and is a one owner truck. Has new radiator, alternator, clutch, flywheel etc.

Problems: Power steering pump makes some noise, brakes had a bit of modulation in the pedal, the front drivers side knuckle looks a bit wet, and apparently even though he asked for it to be replaced, it has a slight rear main leak.

Oh it also JUST passed emissions. It had sat 3 weeks when I got there and with the choke open and pressing the gas twice it fired RIGHT up and sounded perfect.

What do you guys think?

Red_Chili
02-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Doesn't seem high risk. If you are fair handy with a wrench. This is a 60 then?

MDH33
02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
The '87 in town that I looked at, and got kicked off the guys driveway before making an offer, his son contacted me and said so far his Dad would take 2700 for it but not from me haha.

What do you guys think?

Why bother if the owner doesn't want to sell it to you. What did you do? Tell him you liked his *eep? :p:

Lost of good 60's for sale. Keep looking, you'll find a good one. But I still think a truck makes more sense. I own a 60, and I bought a truck for hauling and "work". Having to crawl around the back of a 60 on your knees gets old when you're hauling stuff.

sgtpeper
02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
My boss really liked the idea of a 60 over a pickup so far - mostly because it can hold a ton and be locked.

Basically he kicked me off the driveway because I was looking over his truck too hard to make sure it looked as good as it did.

Uncle Ben
02-26-2009, 03:31 PM
A 55 falls into several categories:
* A project that you want to spend a ton of time and money on because you really love pigs
* A complete beater that may have iffy dependability
* A sweet ride that someone else has already dumped a bunch of money into, that will cost you some money to pick up, that will be too nice to use as a beater work truck.

The 55 is a collector vehicle.

If you want a work truck Land Cruiser, buy a 60 or a 62. No other Land Cruiser has the immense capacity of a 60-series anyway, so it will be a better work truck all around. You can also pick up a clean one for $5k or less, and many of them will include a lift as well. They are great rigs and very dependable.
WERD! I miss my 62 for my DD/work truck! It was perfect for what I needed in one!

sgtpeper
02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I think a 60 with the suspension setup to handle decently heavy loads would be a great work truck, but I might be wrong!

Uncle Ben
02-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I think a 60 with the suspension setup to handle decently heavy loads would be a great work truck, but I might be wrong!

My 62 had a healthy V-8, 4L60E auto and OME heavy's in the rear. It hauled or pulled nearly everything I needed. Throw out all the grubby work stuff and toss in the fun stuff and with the help of the second transfer case and magic buttons (lockers) it made pretty good trail duty too.

sgtpeper
02-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Do you guys think that 78 fj55 is even worth looking at? Sure has some rust but seems to have had some money put in it....??

corsair23
02-27-2009, 04:36 PM
WAY outside your price range but DANG this could be fun :D

Maybe the seller would come down a bit in price to avoid shipping the Cruiser back to WA :)

http://forum.ih8mud.com/4172586-post177.html

sgtpeper
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Someone posted that one awhile ago for me but I dont think i want a converted truck. Too many issues should something fail yanno?

farnhamstj
02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Do you guys think that 78 fj55 is even worth looking at? Sure has some rust but seems to have had some money put in it....??

No.

DaveInDenver
02-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Someone posted that one awhile ago for me but I dont think i want a converted truck. Too many issues should something fail yanno?
In terms of daily driver duties I would take a FJ60 with a small block over a stock FJ55. Parts are more easily found for the V8J60, not just engine but misc body parts, interior parts, etc. It's a common enough swap that if done well it's not gonna be a basket case.

sgtpeper
02-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Arent there some custom parts that would make it really dificult to maintain?

Also, it just doesnt feel pure yanno?

sgtpeper
02-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Well its a moot point now :)

It sold for 6k! Yesterday :(

DaveInDenver
02-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Arent there some custom parts that would make it really dificult to maintain?

Also, it just doesnt feel pure yanno?
Not necessarily that many. Depends I guess on what drivetrain they used. The engine is usually a pull from a late model truck or a crate, so it's just a matter of calling your Chevy guy and asking for a sensor for a 1994 Silverado or whatever.

For the most part the few custom parts that make it work would be easier to work around than finding completely non-existent replacement FJ55 parts. Some of the mechanical parts will be the same as the FJ40, which are only semi-rare and/or expensive. The body mechanical stuff is tough, like rear window, interior parts, window regulators, etc. We'd love a Pig, but we've already got two relatively reliable Toyotas to cover getting to work and all that...

sgtpeper
02-27-2009, 08:35 PM
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1053498791.html

This one would be great! But my boss said too much money....

MDH33
02-28-2009, 09:57 AM
That's a nice truck. Wish I had the coin.

Here's a clean, low mileage truck. I was looking for something like this last year when I found my mini.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1053128749.html

sgtpeper
02-28-2009, 10:03 AM
That is a decent one. Its JUST shy of having the stronger 4 cylinder engine by 6 months haha

I also like the 89 I posted with the flares and mild lift - but the owner is taking his/her sweet time getting back to me ugh

DaveInDenver
02-28-2009, 10:22 AM
That's a nice truck. Wish I had the coin.

Here's a clean, low mileage truck. I was looking for something like this last year when I found my mini.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1053128749.html

Now that IS a good deal. It's just got 126K, 15K on a new timing chain (this is important in a 22R). Basic, reliable, still pretty simple. That would easily get 10 or more years of get-in-and-go service. No drama, excellent parts availability, 22MPG. Perfect work truck...

sgtpeper
02-28-2009, 10:25 AM
The 89 I posted has a new timing chain and tensioner as well - and a mild lift heh.

Anything that makes the 95 better than the 89? Since this 95 isnt a tacoma I have to assume they are the same truck right?

MDH33
02-28-2009, 11:36 AM
the 22RE is a great engine. There's a reason they were used for so many years. When I was looking, I found loads of trucks with the 3.0, but wanted the 22RE. Couldn't find anything clean with low miles.

DaveInDenver
02-28-2009, 03:15 PM
The 89 I posted has a new timing chain and tensioner as well - and a mild lift heh.

Anything that makes the 95 better than the 89? Since this 95 isnt a tacoma I have to assume they are the same truck right?
The 1989 thru 1995 trucks are pretty similar, little differences. The basics are the same, engine, tranny, drivetrain, etc. The dashes are little different, the 1992 and newer trucks have electrically driven speedometers I think, probably better radios (my 1991 stock radio was the first thing to go when I bought the truck). I think the trucks got air bags somewhere around 1992, so the 1995 would almost definitely have an airbag, for better or worse. But for about 99% of the important stuff they are interchangeable, just that the 1995 is 6 years newer and has fewer miles. That '95 really does sound like a peach.

The 1989 looked like it had body lift, didn't look like it had suspension lift. I'm not anti-body lift if done well and in moderation (and a 1" body lift on the pre-1995 trucks goes a long way towards access). But if it came down to a completely unmolested 1995 with 126K or a 1989 with BL, oversized tires (assuming it still is running 4.10 gears) and 85K more miles, well that would be an easy choice for me. The big tires with stock gears alone would make me avoid it, too much risk of being abused at some point in its life.

sgtpeper
02-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Makes sense. The 95 does have rust though. Its not a CO truck The tailgate is pretty bad he said.

sgtpeper
02-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Alright. First, thanks Steve sooo much for talking to me and showing me your truck - it is fantastic.

Second,

I went through every ad on craigslist in the state of CO, and I decided to find more info on the following:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1017722768.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1015567980.html
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/1015101543.html
http://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/1027880181.html
http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/1040259235.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1031057878.html
http://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/1045042372.html

What do you guys think of these?

Jeff

Hulk
03-01-2009, 12:58 PM
The first and second vehicles are worth a look. Personally, I would never go look at a vehicle without seeing pictures first. You could have one of our Breck members (Kevin or Brian) go look at the last one for you.

sgtpeper
03-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I just got back from looking at the first one. It has rust. A good deal of it. Seems well maintained and the brakes are new - and felt it.

Had more valve tap than the fj60 I drove and idled a bit funny when it was warm. He said its been like a rock for him reliability wise.

Keeps me thinking about the 87 that much more though... I am starting to think about the 62s more though simply for the fact it can cruise at 70mph without really stressing the enigne - if that makes sense?

But I'll take a super clean one of either.

OH also I called on this one in KS for 16000 asking if it was really 16k and he said yes it is because it only has 80k miles on it. Thats fine and dandy, but good lord thats a lot of money for a cruiser... No?

sgtpeper
03-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I also found another that isnt listed for sale yet. It has 202k miles and is a mud member's truck that is well maintained. Its an 88 FJ62.

The only rust on it is:

bigbluefj
03-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Will this work for you as a daily/work truck??
it's not a landcruiser..

sgtpeper
03-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Could work for a work truck yea. I dont think you'd sell it for 3k or under though heh

bigbluefj
03-02-2009, 08:46 AM
give me a call a we'll talk. 403 609 7440

sgtpeper
03-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Can someone give me their opinion of the cruiser I described on the previous page??

sgtpeper
03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___G-300-Turbo-Diesel_W0QQitemZ160320936567QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item160320936567&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ht_500wt_994

This would be fun :) I've always had a thing for these old trucks..