PDA

View Full Version : Subaru knowledge?

SteveH
02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Being a glutton for punishment, I bought a '99 Subaru Legacy 'project'.

It suffered 'Mr. valve meets Mr. piston' on one side (interference engine with timing belt). Does anyone on this list have particular Subaru knowledge of this era of Subaru? Thanks - Steve

sgtpeper
02-25-2009, 10:05 AM
I drive an 08 STI daily.. What kind of knowledge are you looking for? Theres some great shops for subbies all over the state if you need advice also. Super Rupair in Boulder is the largest non-dealer service center in the state. They do everything and are great guys :) - My tuner tunes there on their Dyno..

edog 80
02-25-2009, 11:12 AM
I drive an 08 STI daily.. What kind of knowledge are you looking for? Theres some great shops for subbies all over the state if you need advice also. Super Rupair in Boulder is the largest non-dealer service center in the state. They do everything and are great guys :) - My tuner tunes there on their Dyno..

Would that be Harvey? He is a good friend of mine, it's all over my head when he starts talking tuning stuff. :confused:

sgtpeper
02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Yep, Harvey! Hes a great guy and I've gone and just hung out there a few times just to watch him tune. hehe

SteveH
02-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I meant someone on this list who has torn one down and is familiar with failure modes and what to look out for. There are many blogs and websites, but firsthand is nice. Thanks!

nakman
02-25-2009, 12:08 PM
All I've done with ours is drive it to shops, and write checks, SuperRupair being one of them. There's a shop in Conifer that I used last time whom I would also recommend, Clark's Automotive. all they do is Subarus..

I know that some years had HG issues, but it kind of sounds like removing the head is inevitable, eh? If you want to just swap the motor, you could contact Oleg at Alatao Auto, I'm sure he trips over totalled Subarus at auction every week, and may be able to pick one up and do the swap for you? Or maybe just sell you the motor.. Also did you see the "other vehicle tech" area of ih8mud? Good chance someone there either knows, or knows where to go.. there's an ih8mud for Subarus out there somewhere, I just don't know where it is. hth...

sgtpeper
02-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Heads plural :) Flat 4 baby! :)

Jacket
02-25-2009, 12:36 PM
In fact, I think it was the 98-99'ish engines that had the HG issues. I had a 99 that did fine up to 100k miles, but I remember reading about folks having issues between 90-150k miles.

Never did anything but routine maintenance on mine, but I recall using subaruoutback.org and scoobymods.com as on-line resources.

Azrael
02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd recommend heading on over to AWDpirates.net to find a wealth of locals with Subie knowledge.

SteveH
02-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks all - those are great leads on information. '99s are not a good year for head gaskets, etc. I plan to do the teardown and just want to be suitably armed with information on what to do next. I had not found subaruoutback.org in various web searches and that looks promising.

Corbet
02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
If you need some work done for you contact Rich at Lot Ready in Commerce City, 970 two89-two892.

He did all the Subie rebuilds for us when I ran the dealership in Minturn.

May also be a parts resource for you.

FYI the speedometers are also troublesome on 1999 legacy based subies.

SteveH
02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
yes - the speedo/odo (or both) on this one is flaky. This vehicle may just make me like Toyotas more...

CardinalFJ60
02-25-2009, 03:09 PM
no real help...just acknowledgement.

our 99 outback blew the HG and the Speedo worked about 60% of the time until replaced. depending on how it's been driven, you may want to also check the center diff.