PDA

View Full Version : Pike National Forest Camping This Weekend

cbmontgo
02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Anyone ever camped out there? It is fairly close to where I live and a friend and I may take our kids there this weekend for a night of close and easy camping. If anyone is interested in going or has comments about the area, I'd like to hear from you. I am probably going to take the M101/tent setup with my 62.

If anyone has small kids, it should be a lot of fun for them. We'll have 3 kids from ages 4 to 8.

JadeRunner
02-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Getting a camp site will be a non issue. Minimal snow and no one camping up there. But, it could get a bit too cold for little kids at night if your not super prepared. I would have to have the furnace running all night in my pop-up with my family and they would still probably get cold. Good luck.

farnhamstj
02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
nice. Wish I could make it. Have fun. Let's meet up later in the season. My kids are 4.5 and 3. We first camped with our son at 5mo old in November up Mosquito pass. Enough blankets and you'll never get cold.

cbmontgo
02-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Cool. I do plan to bring lots of warm clothes/blankets for sure. I think it will be fairly "warm" for February with this spring-like weather we've had.

Maybe you guys can roll with us next time...

Rezarf
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I'd love to but have to work some this weekend. Have a blast! :D

cbmontgo
02-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Looks like a possibility of rain/snow tomorrow night, so we may shoot for Saturday if we're lucky.

cbmontgo
02-28-2009, 07:39 PM
...so we showed up today to camp, and the road was closed into the National Forest. There was a sign that said "Seasonal Closures Dec 1 to Apr 1". Looks like we'll have to shoot for the spring time.

The trailhead looks really nice though!

fzj80fireman
03-24-2009, 08:41 PM
FYI,

I know this thread is a bit old, but the closure dates on the sign are not set in stone. The closure dates vary from year to year based on weather conditions. The primary reason is that people go up way unprepared and Emergency Services can't always get to them for a rescue. You can call the Jackson 105 Fire Department or the Co Div of Forestry to find out if the gate has been opened. The Fire Dept doesn't have anything to do with the closure or opening, but the Forest Service usually notifies us when they open the gate so we can get geared up for the calls.

Be aware that cell coverage is spotty and there can be some irresponsible people doing stupid things. Be careful and have fun!

Jackson 105 Fire 303-688-1218
Colorado State Forest Service-Franktown 303-660-9625

Mario

cbmontgo
03-25-2009, 07:57 AM
FYI,

I know this thread is a bit old, but the closure dates on the sign are not set in stone. The closure dates vary from year to year based on weather conditions. The primary reason is that people go up way unprepared and Emergency Services can't always get to them for a rescue. You can call the Jackson 105 Fire Department or the Co Div of Forestry to find out if the gate has been opened. The Fire Dept doesn't have anything to do with the closure or opening, but the Forest Service usually notifies us when they open the gate so we can get geared up for the calls.

Be aware that cell coverage is spotty and there can be some irresponsible people doing stupid things. Be careful and have fun!

Jackson 105 Fire 303-688-1218
Colorado State Forest Service-Franktown 303-660-9625

Mario

Thanks, Mario! This is great to know, because we are hoping to camp up there (or at least try) in a couple of weeks. I'll definitely check there first.

fzj80fireman
04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Prelim reports from the Forest Service is that they will re-open the Pike National Forest on April 10th. This is not definite, as unexpected snow fall or extreme dry weather may delay the opening.

Let the Chaos Begin!:)

cbmontgo
04-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Prelim reports from the Forest Service is that they will re-open the Pike National Forest on April 10th. This is not definite, as unexpected snow fall or extreme dry weather may delay the opening.

Let the Chaos Begin!:)

Excellent. Thanks for the report. Can't wait to get up there.

fzj80fireman
04-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Been moved to the 12th Maybe. I'll post up as soon as they open it for the summer, instead of a lot of "not yets".

fzj80fireman
05-09-2009, 01:14 AM
Latest update. They had actually opened the forest just before our last big snow storm. 4+ feet of snow required them to shut it only a day or so after opening it.

Official word is the Pike National Forest is open as of Friday, May 9th. Enjoy!!!!:)

Mario

cbmontgo
05-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Latest update. They had actually opened the forest just before our last big snow storm. 4+ feet of snow required them to shut it only a day or so after opening it.

Official word is the Pike National Forest is open as of Friday, May 9th. Enjoy!!!!:)

Mario

Thanks for the update, Mario. I am planning a campout over there in about 3 weeks. Can't wait.

fzj80fireman
05-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Jackson Fire Station 2 is at the corner of Wolfensberger and Hwy 105. It's now staffed 7 days a week from 8am to 5pm. (Volunteer response after hours) If the kids want to look at the Fire Trucks, feel free to stop in.

Also, If you get up to Devils Head, the Fire Watch Tower is fun to climb with the kids. At the base of the hill is a small house that the Fire Watchman lives in during the summer. I don't know if he will be there by then. I think his name is Bill. Really nice guy and if he is in, he has cards for the kids that say they climbed the watch tower.

Have fun.

cbmontgo
05-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Jackson Fire Station 2 is at the corner of Wolfensberger and Hwy 105. It's now staffed 7 days a week from 8am to 5pm. (Volunteer response after hours) If the kids want to look at the Fire Trucks, feel free to stop in.

Also, If you get up to Devils Head, the Fire Watch Tower is fun to climb with the kids. At the base of the hill is a small house that the Fire Watchman lives in during the summer. I don't know if he will be there by then. I think his name is Bill. Really nice guy and if he is in, he has cards for the kids that say they climbed the watch tower.

Have fun.

Great! Thanks!

powderpig
05-10-2009, 09:03 AM
The Lally's should be up in Metberry area this weekend. They left yesterday morning to go have fun. Any how, it is real foggy and rainy at my house today. But it looks like the weather may be better down that neck of the woods.
Have a wonderful Mothers, day.