PDA

View Full Version : The Great Rising Sun Radio Tune-Up (Or How I Learned to Love Ham Radio Field Days)

DaveInDenver
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
There is some interest in antenna and radio tuning, I think this needs to be formalized. I am still planning to bring my junk to the March meeting, but this really needs more time. Should this be part of the WBPP or should we schedule something separate? Personally I think a RS field day would be pretty fun, get some of the extra class people to drag out HF gear and show us how it's done!

Mendocino
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
I think this is a great idea and needs its own day.:thumb: HF could be demonstrated as well as cross band repeat for HT to mobile communications while on the trail. We could also cover general trail related HAM use, including simplex, repeaters, autopatch (for emergencies and so on), etc.

60wag
03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
I was hoping to offer up some antenna tuning at the WBPP but since my junk isn't working at the moment, I can't confidently show someone how to do it.

MDH33
03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Sounds like the WBPP is going to be a full day. I think a seperate radio tech session would be Uber cool, especially if it could happen before I need to go buy new gear. ;) I need some schooling on rigs before I spend my $. :thumb:

This brings up something that Ricardo and I had briefly discussed. The Wasatch crew does monthly "Tech nights" in addition to their meetings. Seems our club has enough tech worthy stuff happening to try and make it an official gathering. Such as, if the meeting is the first Wed of every month, tech night could be the third Wed of every month or other, etc..

just a thought.

Hants
03-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Nights would be cool... Might even be more popular than the meetings? :)

GRSRTU is a great idea. I'd come up for that.

nakman
03-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech nights is a great idea. Also, some type of RS Hamfest is great too, and should be its own event separate from the WBPP. Call it the "Ham & Eggs run," we all drive out somewhere sorta remote (but stocker-asccessible) and cook breakfast, then sit on our tailgates and discuss the finer points of vehicle communication.

60wag
03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
If we do it March 17th, we could have green eggs and ham.

Jacket
03-04-2009, 04:01 PM
This sounds promising to me. I could stand to learn some of the finer points of antenna optimization, and have mine checked.

But I fear we'll all get cold outside in our tighty-whiteys....:lmao:

DaveInDenver
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
This sounds promising to me. I could stand to learn some of the finer points of antenna optimization, and have mine checked.

But I fear we'll all get cold outside in our tighty-whiteys....:lmao:
Dude, long johns. Duh.

http://inspectorgadget.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/long-johns.jpg

And for the XYL.

https://ssl5.lon.gb.securedata.net/toptack.co.uk/merchantmanager/images/uploads/Active%20Long%20Johns_1.jpg

Jacket
03-04-2009, 04:20 PM
I was thinking of those red union suits they sell at the Surplus stores.

Hulk
03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
https://ssl5.lon.gb.securedata.net/toptack.co.uk/merchantmanager/images/uploads/Active%20Long%20Johns_1.jpg

I like where this thread is headed. :)

Groucho
03-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech nights is a great idea. Also, some type of RS Hamfest is great too, and should be its own event separate from the WBPP. Call it the "Ham & Eggs run," we all drive out somewhere sorta remote (but stocker-asccessible) and cook breakfast, then sit on our tailgates and discuss the finer points of vehicle communication.

...and get everyone on the air!! HF, VHF, UHF, doesn't matter. Just get on the air!! If we can pick a date when the VHF guys in CO are having a contest, we could be a sought after location, depending on where we were. The contests on VHF sometimes entail getting all the grid squares one can (From the maidenhead locator system:The Maidenhead Locator System is a geographic coordinate system used by amateur radio operators.) in order to gain points for the contest. If we are in a sparsely populated grid square, we would get a lot of traffic.

Plus, we could do this for field day 2009. ARRL Field Day is the most popular on-the-air operating event in amateur radio. On the fourth full weekend in June, tens of thousands of amateur radio operators gather for a public demonstration of our service. Field Day is part educational event, part operating event, part public relations event and ALL about FUN!

We could combine a run with field day (actually an idea presented to me about a week ago by tramontana-aka David Bosley.) Everybody would bring their HAM equipment they have, and we would do some cool event stuff mixed with a laid back trail run to get to a field day location! Sounds like things are brewing for HAM & Eggs on Field Day with the Rising Sun 4x4 Club of Colorado trail run...

And now back to your regularly scheduled analog show.:thumb:

DaveInDenver
03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Another option is Ham 14'er. I know you and Seldom Seen have done it. I am planning on doing it this year, home brewed yagi, two 5A-hr batteries, VX-7R and all.

nakman
03-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Events like field day and the 14er sound really fun, but to be honest both are probably a little more involved, and possibly somewhat intimidating for what I'm thinking we're after here. I'm thinking of a little less formal, "just the club" kind of event, where we go out and folks can expand their communication skills under the tutelage of some of RS's finest. It would also be the ideal spot to install a new rig, or change antenna locations, test SWR's, etc.

If we do it March 17th, we could have green eggs and ham.

Is Saturday March 21st close enough? Looking at the calendar, that's one few dates that doesn't really conflict with anything. I know the perfect spot too- where we did the cookout on the Spooky Night Run 2007, just not sure how much snow there is up there right now but a well timed prerun could solve that. I can come up with an alternate site if need be.

But here's my proposed agenda. Let me know if someone else thinks this sounds good, and would want to come, and I'll step up to "lead" this run.

1. We meet somewhere around 08:00, then drive somewhere that's less than an hour away.

2. We set up, cook, and share a fun potluck breakfast. I will then happily read Dr. Suess' Green Eggs & Ham to all those in attendence.

3. Afterwards, the XYL's & Kiddo's all go on a hike, play tag, go sledding, or possibly a smaller group takes off in vehicles to explore something else. The rest of us of the group would all then strap on our tighty whities & collander caps, then proceed to geek out for the next hour or two from the comfort of our tail gates:

Rig setups, SWR tuning, experimenting with each other's equipment, antenna swaps, cross-band repeat demonstrations, trail communication etiquette discussions, repeater etiquette discussions, all would be on the table, whatever the group wanted to do. For someone who just got their license, you would walk away with the knowledge you need to run your new rig. For the seasoned experts, you'd benefit by helping others, learn from some of the other guys, and expand on what you already know.

4. You can then pack up and either be home by lunch time, rag chewing all the way, or stay up in the hills and enjoy the rest of the day.

It's the WBPP for Ham Radio. So who's up for the inaugural Green Eggs & Ham run?

Groucho
03-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Events like field day and the 14er sound really fun, but to be honest both are probably a little more involved, and possibly somewhat intimidating for what I'm thinking we're after here. I'm thinking of a little less formal, "just the club" kind of event, where we go out and folks can expand their communication skills under the tutelage of some of RS's finest. It would also be the ideal spot to install a new rig, or change antenna locations, test SWR's, etc.

It's the WBPP for Ham Radio. So who's up for the inaugural Green Eggs & Ham run?

I think that a run either way would be cool. I've been doing this for going on 5 years now and haven't stayed with the same setup yet. Constantly changing, adapting, improving things.

March 21st coincides with the Pre-Run to Moab. I'm not sure if that is too much of a concern, however.

Field Day can be as much or as little as we would make it, plus the great thing about field day is everybodys on the air! Wherever we go, there is bound to be someone on any band you choose, at any given time. The purpose of the Amateur Radio setup is to communicate, so I think it would be great to do it when there is an opportunity for folks to talk with people from all over, not just our group.

Those who just came out of the HAM class know this, but remember that part of our responsibility is to the community is to promote and show our ability to be ready at a moments notice for emergencies. We could do exactly what you (Nakman) propose, from installing to testing to swapping to rag-chewing and anywhere in between. Then to prove it out, we would make QSO's with folks all over. Plus, it would maximize the opportunity to get Tech's on HF.

The second good thing about field day is that it is usually warm.

Regardless of field day or not, I am up for whatever. We need to elect someone to organize this thing. Nakman?

nakman
03-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Last comment about hamfest, is with "everyone on the air" it's actually a little more intimidating to the new folks. They may not want to talk to everyone, would rather speak to just people they already know until they get a little more comfortable. So as part of my responsibility to the ammateur radio community, I'm going to lead an event where folks can polish their skills in a little more safe environment. :)

And ooo, forgot about the Moab prerun. :doh: :o sorry about that. But I think if you are going to Moab, you've probably already made those arrangements and it's pretty unlikely you're going to bail on Moab to go play radios.. right? Plus there oughta be plenty of radio use in Moab anyway. No date works for everyone, and since I can't go to Moab I'm still up for doing this on the 21st. anyone else?

MDH33
03-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm taking a class at CU Boulder March 21-29, so both those weekends are tied up for me unfortunately. Sounds like fun though!

Red_Chili
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Moab pre-run that weekend. :(

I just wanna know what those knobs do. And to say cool three letter things when I am on the air and actually know what they mean. :hill:

DaveInDenver
03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Moab pre-run that weekend. :(

I just wanna know what those knobs do. And to say cool three letter things when I am on the air and actually know what they mean. :hill:
Yeah, I think the pre-run will prevent the bulk of the people who might really need to practice with their radios. I think we should shoot for some day before CM for that reason.

nakman
03-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Ok how about April 11th then? the week after the WBPP? Any later an you all are going to be too busy finding your camping gear.

nakman
04-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Ok folks, Ham & Eggs run is a go, April 18th. Thanks to everyone in this thread already who has chiseled their commitment in stone to come out and join, should be a lot of fun

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=103169#post103169