PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bikes

Framer
03-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Is anyone bringing thier Mountain Bikes to CM. I understand that it has some great trails.

MDH33
03-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Awesome Mtn biking in and around Moab! :thumb:

DaveInDenver
03-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Right now there is a tentative group of people who are going to be in Moab for CM and I think by and large not driving at all. Maybe running the right seat if the opportunity arises, though. What do you have in mind?

subzali
03-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm taking my mtb and my 2wd pickup. Planning on Porcupine Rim Friday and Amasa Back at least.

Corbet
03-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Porcupine Rim is my favorite trail to ride.

Followed by the Gold Bar Rim - Golden Spike - Poison Spider Combo.

I might be riding on Sunday but I'm there to wheel for the most part this year.

Framer
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm there to wheel also but if I can get in an evening or morning ride with some one who knows there way around that would be great. Are there trails that can be done from the campground?

wesintl
03-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm there to wheel also but if I can get in an evening or morning ride

IMHO if your there to wheel you won't have the time. Depending on what trails you're on you might get off early enough to something like slickrock

DaveInDenver
03-06-2009, 10:33 AM
IMHO if your there to wheel you won't have the time. Depending on what trails you're on you might get off early enough to something like slickrock
Wes is right, you'll be better assuming that you will either ride or wheel that day. If you want to ride from camp, I think it's fun to ride along with the runs on Steel Bender or Moab Rim. On the bike you can get ahead of the group pretty easily and get your pick of viewing gallery spots. On Steel Bender (or what we cyclists refer to as Flat Pass), the ledge is a good spot to stop and hang with the group. Plus if you're riding with the group run you can stash lots of food and water with a buddy...

60wag
03-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I have a tough time not bringing a bike to Moab although I don't know when I'll be able to squeeze in a ride. I'm thinking a lap on Slickrock after driving Hell's Revenge?

Corbet
03-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I've done the slickrock loop in as little as 90 minutes but I'm no longer in that kind of shape. The sign at the trailhead says to plan 4 hours to complete the loop.

If you have a light you could ride after a trail run but do not do a trail like slickrock in the dark.

Playground trails like Bartlet Slickrock that you can hit and spend as much or little time as you wish.

There are trails you could ride from camp but in an interest of time probably would not want to. I'd probably choose to ride or wheel on any given day to get the most enjoyment out of your trip.

Hulk
03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I brought my mountain bike a few years ago and never got it on a trail. I'd love to ride the Slickrock Trail if it's not too technical.

Corbet
03-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I'd rate Slickrock pretty high on the technical scale.

Top of the World would be a good trail for anyone headed east on I70 Sunday. Kind of technical but basiclly an intermediate climb to an amazing overlook.

I reaally want to ride Sunday and maybe Monday but it will probably be too hot to run Porter. So I'm still on the fence.

Framer
03-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I really dont want to be pressed for time and since this is my first trip to Moab I better stay focussed on wheeling. Maybe I'll bring it to cruise around the campground and find different places to drink.

farnhamstj
03-07-2009, 08:19 PM
You will probably just walk from campsite to campsite. You'll be up early to be on trail and by time and get back to camp it's close to dark. It's long days in the sun. Biking along while the rest of the group drives is generally discouraged. Same with passanger/hikers. Some drivers are worried. It's up to the trail leaders discression but as they are concerned about getting all the rigs and passangers home safely. Concerns over a lost or left behind spouse is not cool. That being said, my Wife often hikes ahead or runs sections of the trail. Use good sense. If she's unfamiliar with an area, that's another story.

60wag
04-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Is anyone up for riding the Slickrock loop on Sunday morning?

Beachboy
04-17-2009, 10:12 AM
There is another easier and shorter mountain bike trails that Moab has just put up more signs and made it an official trails. If you drive north to the place where we have the raffle dinner, drive through the parking lot to the end of the parking lot, there is a sign there about bike trails. Nothing hard, but you can play on the slick rock on the backside of the trails(its a loop trail) and if you have someone drop you off, you can take an easy ride back down to town.

Inukshuk
04-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I brought my mountain bike a few years ago and never got it on a trail. I'd love to ride the Slickrock Trail if it's not too technical.

:lol: Slickrock is THE definitive technical trail. It is technical start to finish. An absolutely phenomenal trail, but it never lets up. I'd do it with you.

My first CM I brought the bike and hitched a ride up to the top of Porcupine rim with Cheeseman and then Terry and I rode down. I found it to be trying to do too much to ride and wheel. But is was really strange - and still sort of is - to go to Moab with out the bike, since I have been mtn biking there sine 1992! Still, I'd be up for a Sunday morning or Friday ride (I have no trail run Friday). Biking and wheeling same day - too much.

I'd be up for Bartlett Slickrock (have always wanted to get there), Amasa Back (aka Cliffhanger), or Monitor/Merrimac. Slickrock trail too, but the other issue there is crowds. Its just too crowded on weekends anymore.

I have another idea, how about a few of us plan another Moab trip for riding. We can then pile in a few rigs - in my 80 I can hold 4 people and four bikes easily, camp out in a spot accessible to 4x4 (away from crowds) and get in a weekend of rides. Maybe instead do that trip to Fruita.

Framer
04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm up for planing a seperate trip, I guess it would have to be when it isnt too hot.I'm fairly new at riding but it is really a blast. I am a runner so am in good shape but am not as technocally savy as veteran MTB'ers.

subzali
04-23-2009, 07:43 AM
The almost final plan for me and my buddy is to do Porcupine Rim on Friday with the shuttle (will probably be passing the CM crew on the trail!) and then Slickrock on Sunday before we head back. If we're feeling up to it, I want to drive most of the way to Top of the World (as far as my 2wd truck will go) and ride the rest of the way to get the view. Anybody is welcome to come, just let me know.