PDA

View Full Version : What tire deflators?

Corbet
03-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Staun $59

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_air.htm

United 4 Wheel Drive Associations, $62.50

http://www.ufwda.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=12

Smittybilt $40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CF3JG4

Or other? Discuss.

RicardoJM
03-05-2009, 11:33 AM
I picked my Staun's up at Slee Off Road and love them:thumb:. I just pop them on and go visit while they do their thing. Easy, easy.

nakman
03-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I picked my Staun's up at Slee Off Road and love them:thumb:. I just pop them on and go visit while they do their thing. Easy, easy.

Same here. Seemed like a lot of money at the time for not much, but it's been worth it. When the hissing stops, I'm at 17, then all you have to do is twist a dial and drive over stuff. :D

Red_Chili
03-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I use the cheap cheap ones available almost everywhere for very little. Why? It ain't that much trouble to check as they deflate, but more importantly, I find different conditions work best with different pressures. Just easier.

MDH33
03-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I picked up a $2.00 valve core remover. I have it down to a science. I have a count-down system for certain pressures. I just pull the core, count to twenty five, pop the core back in and test pressure then fine-tune. Seems faster than most of the deflators and way cheaper. :hill:

DaveInDenver
03-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Dean gave me the Oasis deflators (like what UFWDA sells) as a gift a bunch of years ago. I like them OK, but I probably wouldn't have spent the money on them myself. As often as not I end up just doing it manually rather than digging out the deflators since I don't want the set point of 18 psi that I have them.

nuclearlemon
03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
i spent the money on the stauns and still just pull the cores.

rover67
03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I bought the Stauns and find that I always want a little different pressure than where they are set. I put them on, and find myself checking tire pressures as they are deflating to hone in on a particular pressure. Depends on whats in the truck (just me... or 4 people gear and the dog) and the terrain.

I tend to agree with Bill here and if I were to do it over again, might buy something like this:

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/909_796/products_id/32398?osCsid=22334f04693194360cd70e2418415efe

I use the cheap cheap ones available almost everywhere for very little. Why? It ain't that much trouble to check as they deflate, but more importantly, I find different conditions work best with different pressures. Just easier.

corsair23
03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I use the Stauns and adjust from there if I need to tweak things...

Why? Because they drop me to a known 18psi without having to keep an eye on things or run around the truck. Plus, to me it is a PITA to have to pull out the air to fill up a tire that I let too much air out of because I was talking or dinking with something else :)

Oh, and I'm usually running late so being able to do all 4 tires at the same time is a bonus :hill:

Red_Chili
03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/909_796/products_id/32398?osCsid=22334f04693194360cd70e2418415efe
Yep, thems the good 'uns. Kinda pricier than I remember though.

Uncle Ben
03-05-2009, 03:31 PM
:thumb::thumb::cool::p: RAD system! (http://www.klunev.com/page_rad_overview.htm)

Crash
03-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Yep, thems the good 'uns. Kinda pricier than I remember though.

$24.95??? Whoa!!!!! Pricier by about 150% than when I bought them. If you aren't into math, I paid $10 for the same things, minus the shiny colors.
Now watch someone correct my math. :p:

rover67
03-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I've seen them cheaper but didn't find them on a quick work hour internet search.

Corbet
03-05-2009, 05:48 PM
:thumb::thumb::cool::p: RAD system! (http://www.klunev.com/page_rad_overview.htm)

the link did not work for me?

I have seen those but worry about breaking the valve stem on a rock. Otherwise I really like that system.

Convert
03-05-2009, 05:53 PM
I had the Stauns for a while and they worked fine.But I switched to ARB's EZ-Tyre deflater it is much faster than the Stauns and is not a set psi. Picked it from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for around 37 bucks.

Uncle Ben
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM

I have seen those but worry about breaking the valve stem on a rock. Otherwise I really like that system.

They are really beefy unlike typical metal stems.
Hmmmm....link works for me. I have the Currie EZ deflators in both rigs and I like 'em.

Crash
03-05-2009, 09:18 PM

Link works fine. I bought a set of these from Phil Simmons at the first Slee Off Road/Rising Sun parking lot sale and put them on a set of Weld Racing wheels. Phil had won them at the Cruise Moab raffle that year and didn't see their benefit. They worked great and are still working on the same wheels now on L43Dean's '80 Hilux. Airing down all four tires in less than 120 seconds rocks! The same day I also bought a CV Unlimited "Newfield" birf joint from Phil that he had won at the same raffle that I can't give away. :hill: Phil - 1 Steve - 1. :thumb:

Shark Bait
03-05-2009, 09:59 PM

The link did not work for me in Firefox. It did in IE.

jacdaw
03-05-2009, 10:05 PM
The link did not work for me in Firefox. It did in IE.

Also won't load in Firefox 3.0.6 nor Safari 3.2.1 and IE is *not* getting loaded on this machine. No way. :lmao:

Uncle Ben
03-05-2009, 10:53 PM
I really liked Firefox for a while but gave up on it as it was doing weird stuff at weird times. Safari sucks in my opinion. I have been using Google/Firefox Chrome and it's simplicity is it's beauty! Fast and trouble free!

jacdaw
03-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Chrome didn't work on Mac when I first tried to d/l it. Should I try again?

Sorry to continue the thread hijack.

Air Randy
03-06-2009, 08:34 AM
If any of you guys have a set of the Staun or Smittybilt deflators that you want to sell, let me know.

Corbet
03-06-2009, 09:22 AM
got the link to work but its a little weird. loads a blank white page but if I scroll down the content is there.

May consider them but the are pretty costly compared to other options.

Corbet
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I had the Stauns for a while and they worked fine.But I switched to ARB's EZ-Tyre deflater it is much faster than the Stauns and is not a set psi. Picked it from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for around 37 bucks.

Dan describe how the ARB works, I'm gaining interest in this one

Uncle Ben
03-06-2009, 11:21 AM

The EZ deflaters were created by Currie Enterprises. The very first ones were very expensive. When Currie outsourced them to off shore manufacturing it made them affordable and also opened up knock offs to the masses. The concept in ingenious and very simple. Screw the apparatus on the valve stem. Push the knob into the valve stem and remove it internally. Slide the large knob to open the open ports. Let the tire air down to where you want it then simply close the air ports, then screw the valve stem back into place that is out but still contained in the apparatus. Unscrew the assembly and move on.....no chance of lost valve cores.

Uncle Ben
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
snooped and found this great site...... (http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodreview/deflatortest/deflatormain.htm)

Convert
03-06-2009, 12:10 PM

Looks like UB beat me to it. His explanation is spot on:thumb:

Corbet
03-06-2009, 01:05 PM
sounds like the winner. Thanks guys.

JadeRunner
03-06-2009, 08:12 PM
The EZ deflaters were created by Currie Enterprises. The very first ones were very expensive. When Currie outsourced them to off shore manufacturing it made them affordable and also opened up knock offs to the masses. The concept in ingenious and very simple. Screw the apparatus on the valve stem. Push the knob into the valve stem and remove it internally. Slide the large knob to open the open ports. Let the tire air down to where you want it then simply close the air ports, then screw the valve stem back into place that is out but still contained in the apparatus. Unscrew the assembly and move on.....no chance of lost valve cores.

I have been using the original Currie Ez Deflater, which I bought for 60.00 8 years ago with no issues. Not any faster than the staun guys at the trailhead but I control the psi the first time.

85Toy
03-20-2009, 02:03 PM
You guys are a bad influence, and I haven't even met any of you yet!!! I have a set of Staun's, new in the plastic packaging, and I went out an ordered the Currie just now after reading this thread....guess I will do my own comparison.

Uncle Ben
03-20-2009, 02:17 PM
You guys are a bad influence, and I haven't even met any of you yet!!! I have a set of Staun's, new in the plastic packaging, and I went out an ordered the Currie just now after reading this thread....guess I will do my own comparison.

Sorry....thats just what we do! We can't afford any other friends as we cost each other more than we make! ;) :lmao::lmao::lmao::thumb: