PDA

View Full Version : Mounting CB Antenna. Location?

LETSROLL
03-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi RS,

I picked up a new CB for my 40 and need to mount it for CM09. I have two positions in mind. I thought I'd get some input before I drill a hole.

The attached picture has two locations ID'd. #1 is on the rear tub, next to the marker light - drivers side. #2 is behind the kick panel vent on the front quarter panel - drivers side.

The mounting bracket is designed to attach to the body via two holes and looks a little bit like the stock radio antenna bracket only bigger.

Give me some guidance so I don't cut a hole I regret.
Thanks! LETSROLL

MDH33
03-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Can you give us some more details about the mount and antenna? Brand, style, length, etc. ?

Beauty 40. :thumb:

CardinalFJ60
03-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Mine's attached on the 'top' of the spare tire carrier, that's a hole I didn't have a problem drilling. It does bang the hardtop now an again. I ignore it - it blends with the rest of the rattles. I don't think I could bring myself to drill a hole in the body of my 40.

MDH33
03-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I had a hole already drilled in my cowl in front of the DS kick vent for a radio antenna. I picked up a firestick antenna and mount and just had to drill one more hole. It looks ok, but I think it's too close to the body/windshield frame and I don't get very good CB functionality.

here's the mount I used:

http://www.walcottcb.com/images/M2_tnn.jpg

My thought would be to mount yours off the hood using a "groove mount" or from higher up on your hardtop (if you always leave your hardtop on).

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/486269935_BmFjD-L.jpg

Something like this would work in your hood groove:

http://www.walcottcb.com/images/SSJ4A_tnn.jpg

LETSROLL
03-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Here are a few pictures of the antenna and antenna mount. If I pick the right spot and drill a clean hole, it's sure to look professional. My concerns are: Do I need to watch for sources of electrical interference? If I take the top off, are there considerations I should know about? Is there a better way to mount this?
Thanks

LETSROLL
03-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, the pictures didn't attach correctly, but the picture of the green rig is exactly what I bought. Syou say the interference is an issue?

MDH33
03-06-2009, 03:54 PM
It works in that location, but not as well as it could. If I had it higher up and not so close to the body and windshield I'm certain it would be better. I mainly chose that location for 2 reasons: There was already a hole there, and I wanted the antenna low enough to fit in my garage. :o

LETSROLL
03-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Cardinal FJ60,
Can you provide a pic of how your's is mounted nd tell me if there's interference?

Thanks!

CardinalFJ60
03-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Here's how it looks on my 40...

LETSROLL
03-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Oh Yea! I like that. How does the antenna cable get inside the rig? Mind if I copy you?

CardinalFJ60
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
When I put this together, I should have grabbed a quick-disconnect. (I did that on my FJ60) - so I could easily take it off. The other thing I'd do differently is get a steel whip...not the fiber glass. I've already ripped the little red rubber cap off this one and it doesn't give very much when under low branches.

As far as receiving/transmitting - works almost as well as when I had little mag-mount stuck on my rack.

MDH33
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
That looks pretty good Shawn. Nice and high, and will work with the hardtop on or off.

Just punch a couple of holes in a tennis ball and slide it over your antenna and duct tape it in position to keep it from whacking your top. :hill:

Hulk
03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Use a lip mount off of the hood, and mount it here (3):

Here's a link to a stainless steel mount (http://www.gdielectronics.com/ss-184.html) for less than $10.

This will give you good reception and broadcast ability. Avoid mounting the antenna where it will have a lot of parallel metal surface.

wesintl
03-06-2009, 04:32 PM
mount it on the front bumper. For god sakes don't drill anything into that body :D

LETSROLL
03-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Hulk,
Does the lip mount require it to be screwed into the hood underneath? It looks like you'd have 4 holes to tap?

MDH33
03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Hulk,
Does the lip mount require it to be screwed into the hood underneath? It looks like you'd have 4 holes to tap?

I was recommending what Hulk said also. This mount only requires 2 holes and is re-enforced. It would be attached to the apron, not the hood.

mount it on the front bumper. For god sakes don't drill anything into that body :D

That works too.:)

CardinalFJ60
03-06-2009, 04:45 PM
That looks pretty good Shawn. Nice and high, and will work with the hardtop on or off.

Just punch a couple of holes in a tennis ball and slide it over your antenna and duct tape it in position to keep it from whacking your top. :hill:

YEAH!!! totally! something tells me I have an old, slimy tennis ball in the back yard. "Carver! Come!! Get the ball" "heh, heh...mine now".

CardinalFJ60
03-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Your 40 is sooooooo nice...there's no way I could drill holes in that nice of a cruiser. But that's me. After looking at the Incredible 40 stretch...I realize everyone is different and has a different idea of what they want to do with their Cruiser.

Beater
03-06-2009, 04:54 PM
OMFG don't you even put a hole in that.. mount it to the spare.. I'll make you a frickin bracket before I'd let you cut that body

j

LETSROLL
03-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I think I like the idea of mounting it to the spare tire bracket like MDH33, but how does the wire get inside the rig? With hood mount option or how I was going to do it, the wiring looks simple..

Hulk
03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I was recommending what Hulk said also. This mount only requires 2 holes and is re-enforced. It would be attached to the apron, not the hood.

That works too.:)

The one that Martin posted is closer to the one that I'm actually using on my 40. He is correct -- it doesn't mount to the hood. It mounts to the lip just below the hood, and sticks out of the seam, sandwiched in between the lip and the hood. There is plenty of room for it there.

I actually have mine mounted on the passenger side, not the driver side, but you could do either.

LETSROLL
03-06-2009, 05:10 PM
You guys are awesome! Makes me glad I forked over the extra dough for a clean rig. (Hand raised in air: "I promise to not cut/drill or otherwise deface the rig (aka GYBZ)"

I'm going for the bracket on the spare tire rack like MDH.

:risingsun

John

MDH33
03-06-2009, 05:37 PM
You guys are awesome! Makes me glad I forked over the extra dough for a clean rig. (Hand raised in air: "I promise to not cut/drill or otherwise deface the rig (aka GYBZ)"

I'm going for the bracket on the spare tire rack like MDH.

:risingsun

John

Actually mine is the green soft top rig. Antenna on the spare is Shawn's (CardinalFJ60). ;)

Rezarf
03-06-2009, 10:31 PM
LETSROLL-

Actually, there is no good place to mount a CB antenna on that rig, it is worthless, you may as well sell it to me cheap... I'll be over in the morning and take that miserable 40 off your hands and bring you a home HAM setup.

Drew

thisGuy
08-03-2010, 04:02 PM
OMG it's an antenna freakout! I've seen a pic of one here that looked right. Your cb ant. should be as centered on your vehicle as possible with as much of the antenna above the highest point of the vehicle as possible.

Be careful with center or top loaded antennas.

Great info on finding the right antenna and installing it.

http://www.12volt-travel.com/knowledgebase/category/cb-radio/

farnhamstj
08-03-2010, 07:32 PM
CB's are about as good as rolling down your window and yelling. 2m is all the rage now. Welcome thisGuy. Please do a quick into and pic's. Welcome

SteveH
08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I mounted the antenna on the spare tire mount of my '78 and ran the coax into the truck along the gap where the hardtop meets the tub. I caulked it in place. It's been that way for 20 years and the cable is not chafed or worn.