PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 Relocating the Alternator Questions

RicardoJM
03-09-2009, 10:44 AM
A few questions have come up now that I've moved the alternator from the lower driverís side to the passenger side.

The first relates to clearance between the battery and the alternator bracket. I find there is very little clearance between the body of the battery and the alternator bracket. Upon the initial installation, the bracket and battery were touching. I was able to adjust slide the battery back towards the firewall a small amount so they do not touch, but the gap is very small, i.e. less than 1/8". I believe the battery I have is a group 65 for size and am seriously considering getting something that is physically smaller as I am concerned that that there is not enough space between the battery and the alternator bracket. I have not looked into any adjustment of the battery tray which is stock. What size battery are others using in the stock tray? Can the placement of the battery tray be adjusted? How much room others have between battery and alternator bracket?

My next question relates to the routing of the alternator wiring back to the voltage regulator. I extended to smaller wires and routed them along the top of the firewall and down the passenger fender then under the battery tray and up to the alternator - versus out and across the top of the battery. The big wire was long enough to go straight back from the alternator to the firewall and then on into the voltage regulator. For those with the alternator on the passenger side, how are your three wires routed? As I understand it, the big wire is on a circuit that should have a fusible link for protection. I have not fusible link between the alternator and the voltage regulator. This would imply that if I have the fusible link it is somewhere between the voltage regulator and the battery - where would I look to confirm I have one?

Finally, my hard fuel line comes up from the fuel pump very close to the alternator wire plug and post. They do not touch, but am wondering how the routing of the fuel line typically goes through this area when the alternator is on the passenger side. Any photos or descriptions would be appreciated.

Shark Bait
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I had to monkey with my tray and battery to get the York and alternator to clear. I will try and take some pics later. It is all a little tight in there. :rolleyes:

Air Randy
03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I've got more than 1/8" between the bracket and battery but not a lot more. It seems to be OK so far. If you need a smaller battery I have a brand new one that I might be able to work a trade with you on.

I believe that shorter is better when you are talking DC wires that can carry a fair amount of load under heavy useage. When I extended my wires I ran them from the alternator and in front of the water pump. That way I could plug back into the stock harness at the original plug location and only extended the wires by about 18". I put them in wire loom to protect them and it seems to work fine.