PDA

View Full Version : Brake Line Hose Fitting Tricks?

rock_wagon
03-14-2009, 05:06 PM
I am in the process upgrading my brake line hoses on my 96 LX450 to a set of Slee hoses and I am having a really difficult time with one of the hoses.

Any one know any tricks for loosening up the fittings? I am struggling with the driver side from frame to axle, top connection. The 10mm wrench is just rounding the fitting. I have been hitting it with PB blaster but it is still not moving. Space is pretty limited around the fitting and I have been resisting using a pair of vice grips because I don't want to bugger up the fitting and have to replace the entire hardline.

Suggestions, tricks?

Thanks!

nuclearlemon
03-14-2009, 05:43 PM
sounds like it may be too late, but have you tried line wrenches? (flare wrenches, open end, but only a small section so they grab most of the sides unlike a regular open wrench)

jettaglxdriver
03-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Flair wrenches or a box wrench if you have the other end of the line off already. You could try a heat gun to loosen it up.

rock_wagon
03-14-2009, 06:11 PM
sounds like it may be too late, but have you tried line wrenches? (flare wrenches, open end, but only a small section so they grab most of the sides unlike a regular open wrench)

Actually I have never heard of one! It makes sense. It might not be to late yet, worst case I have a small file to clean up the nut. I will see if I can locate a line wrench.

Thanks!

Uncle Ben
03-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Actually I have never heard of one! It makes sense. It might not be to late yet, worst case I have a small file to clean up the nut. I will see if I can locate a line wrench.

Thanks!

Everyone should have flare nut wrenches in their tool box! Tubing nuts will flatten with a normal 2 or three side grab wrench because they are hollow!

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/3/P11225203.jpg

corsair23
03-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Will,

I had a similar issue last year on one of my bleeders...Tried a standard wrench, crescent, and then a flare wrench with no dice :( - In the end it was a set of channel locks that finally broke the bastid free...Had to replace the bleeder.

One trick someone suggested at the time was to actually try to tighten it a tad and then loosen the bleeder. That may also have been part of what worked for me.

I know you aren't working on a bleeder but i would think the same process would apply here.

Get the flare wrenches (Harbor Freight sells them) and give it a go but if not, maybe gently working it with channel locks or vice grips. Lock 'em on there and try gently tapping with a small hammer?

rock_wagon
03-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I got a line wrench last night but alas it was too late the nut is fubared. Another lesson learned, get the right tool for the job!

Crash
03-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Will,

I had a similar issue last year on one of my bleeders...Tried a standard wrench, crescent, and then a flare wrench with no dice :( - In the end it was a set of channel locks that finally broke the bastid free...Had to replace the bleeder.

One trick someone suggested at the time was to actually try to tighten it a tad and then loosen the bleeder. That may also have been part of what worked for me.

I know you aren't working on a bleeder but i would think the same process would apply here.

Get the flare wrenches (Harbor Freight sells them) and give it a go but if not, maybe gently working it with channel locks or vice grips. Lock 'em on there and try gently tapping with a small hammer?

By all means, use flare nut wrenches on brake line fittings, they are the only way to go, but please, please, please buy at least Craftsman quality ones! Do it really right and buy a single 10mm Snap On if you can. The cheap flare nut wrenches will just flex and really round off the nut when you want the wrench to work in the tightest situations.

corsair23
03-16-2009, 02:28 AM
By all means, use flare nut wrenches on brake line fittings, they are the only way to go, but please, please, please buy at least Craftsman quality ones! Do it really right and buy a single 10mm Snap On if you can. The cheap flare nut wrenches will just flex and really round off the nut when you want the wrench to work in the tightest situations.

Agreed Steve but there is the rub...anyone been into a Sears lately? Is it just me, or do they always seem to be out of exactly what you need? Especially the more specialized tools. I've even asked them to order stuff in and they say sure, will do and it never shows up :(

Hulk
03-16-2009, 02:36 AM
Agreed Steve but there is the rub...anyone been into a Sears lately? Is it just me, or do they always seem to be out of exactly what you need? Especially the more specialized tools. I've even asked them to order stuff in and they say sure, will do and it never shows up :(

You can save yourself the hassle and order S-K tools here:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/catalog.html

This is probably more expensive:
http://www.skhandtool.com/Default.aspx

After all, S-K invented the round head ratchet wrench. :thumb:

Jacket
03-16-2009, 09:42 AM
The nice thing about the Craftsman flare nut wrenches I got (maybe all are like this?) is that they have a different size at each end (i.e., 10mm + 12mm). Basically buying 2 for 1...

SteveH
03-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Another hearty recommendation for Craftsman line wrenches. The load-bearing area is also quite wide, so it fully supports the fitting you're trying to remove. The more I study HF tools, the more I see that they really aren't made to any performance spec. - and with line wrenches, you need all the help you can get.

Hulk
03-16-2009, 10:37 AM
HF tools?

SteveH
03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Harbor Freight = HF.

If it says 'Forged' - that means it's forged from a block of solid butter. Buy one of their pickle forks (tie rod end remover) and try using it. Keep the reciept! ;-)

rover67
03-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I've had good luck using a large set of regular vise-grips on rounded off brake line fittings.

just clamp them down till your hands bleed on the really agressive teeth of the vise grip.

Then replace the fitting before putting it back together.

rover67
03-16-2009, 01:53 PM
just read that you don't want to replace the fitting/hard line. maybe nix my suggestion.