PDA

View Full Version : '70s Soviet military radios

Mendocino
03-15-2009, 03:27 AM
Yesterday I had the pleasure of touring a Cold War era Soviet Union communications bunker located 65 meters (213’) below Moscow. The bunker was built in the event of a nuclear war with the United States and was self sufficient including its own power generation station, air filtration center, and connection to an underground railway for re-supply. It also had some 1970s vintage military radio equipment I thought my fellow RS HAMs would appreciate. :thumb:

Can you spot the CW keyer? How about the dipole?
:cheers:

Beater
03-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Good ole antenna tree wire... easy to get up, pain to get down...

nakman
03-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Wow, that's awesome!! let's see more pictures of the bunker.

Hulk
03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I am totally jealous of the places you get to visit, Jeff.

Mendocino
03-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I'll post up some bunker pictures tomorrow as they are on my laptop. Here is one of the tunnels and a *.kmz to show where the entrance to the bunker is in Moscow.:D

nakman
03-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Wow! so cool.. . hard to see the bunker from space though.

Mendocino
03-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Wow! so cool.. . hard to see the bunker from space though.

Did you get Google Earth to zoom to the building location? I think that is über-cool.:thumb:

Uncle Ben
03-18-2009, 08:30 AM
That is way beyond cool Jeff! Where is Red Square located in relationship to the bunker?

Air Randy
03-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I haven't been to the bunker but I was at the Kremlin a few years ago. It was always a strange feeling for me to be at the epicenter of the "Evil Empire" and know I was sitting on the bullseye for countless US strategic weapons. Yet, all of the people were as friendly as you could ever want. In fact, one of the coolest places to visit in Moscow is a little diner that is right in the city center.

It was built back in the 50's and is modeled after a US drive-in. They specialize in burgers, shakes, fries, onion rings, etc. They have Elvis music playing and the waitresses are all dressed in 50's attire and are on roller skates. Totally American, yet it was created at the height of the cold war. And, it is usually standing room only with huge lines to get in. I've been told it's been like that since it opened.

If you watch Aeroflot's website you will find they run special fares from time to time. My daughter and her friends got roundtrip airfare for $500 from NY 2 years ago with advance purchase. Getting a tourist visa these days is really easy too.

Mendocino
03-18-2009, 09:42 AM
United has a fare from Dulles to Domededovo (Moscow) through April for ~$214! www.united.com/moscow

Moscow is an amazing place.

Mendocino
03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
That is way beyond cool Jeff! Where is Red Square located in relationship to the bunker?

UB;

Check out this KMZ; you can see the bunker and Red Square.:cool:

Uncle Ben
03-18-2009, 10:32 AM
UB;

Check out this KMZ; you can see the bunker and Red Square.:cool:

Thank you Jeff.....I was lazy and didn't want to play around. :rolleyes: I want to go to Moscow one day. We have been to St. Petersberg and I agree about the Russian people being ultra friendly! Interesting is the fact that we have traveled to quite a few places in the world and of all the places we've been, Russia has the fewest amount of English speaking people. There is enough folks there that you can communicate with to get by but asking directions or just striking up conversation with random persons it is so evedent. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Russian people as they have been oppressed by the hierarchy for so long. The rulers have pilfered and spent so much of the country's wealth that now that it is "open" the country has to rebuild it's whole infastructure just to support the commoners needs. While it was cool to tour the palaces of Catherine and her boy friends and of course Peter the Greats incredible estate and gardens it also really lets you share in the anger of the people as you tour the gold plated trophy homes. Unbelievable!!!! :mad: A dream of mine would be to load up all the liberals of Boulder and throughout the country and let them see what happens to a country where the common folk are not allowed to speak freely and especially not be allowed to have any say in what the governing body does! We truly do live in a great country that many take for granted!

Mendocino
03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
...the country has to rebuild it's whole infastructure just to support the commoners needs...

That is why I spend so much time there.

...A dream of mine would be to load up all the liberals of Boulder and throughout the country and let them see what happens to a country where the common folk are not allowed to speak freely and especially not be allowed to have any say in what the governing body does! We truly do live in a great country that many take for granted! ...

:D Boy that is sure the truth. Maybe I should also post up some recent India pictures and video...:eek:

Mendocino
03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
The first and second pictures are the exterior blast door. This was operational and demonstrated to me. Very impressive; I would hate to get my fingers caught in this!:eek:

I also included a poor picture of the area where they kept the gensets.

Lastly, here is a scaled model of the entire facility. You can see the modules on the model. I was told that people that worked in one module did not know that others existed. Some people worked there for 20 years and had no knowledge of the others!!:eek:

Uncle Ben
03-18-2009, 05:11 PM
That is fascinating! Interesting thing was while we were in Switzerland is is very common for ever house to have a shelter with a blast door similar to what you are showing! Guess the rest of the world doesn't have much faith in us not pushing buttons and making things go boom!