PDA

View Full Version : Stereo upgrades ... The Never Ending story

Tch2fly
03-15-2009, 05:40 PM
I had been looking for a new headunit for my Tacoma and came across this double-din unit from Pioneer, AVH-P4000. It is last year's model and I found it on Amazon for $305 with iPod cable and free shipping.

I really like it so I decided I needed to put one in the 80. It has full iPod controls with touch screen. And as you can see the color of the screen can be change to fit the vehicle.

It has a CD/DVD player (seen here watching the RS Rubithon movie ... what else :D )

Tch2fly
03-15-2009, 05:45 PM
But by far the best part is the camera inputs.

First thing I added a color backup camera. I modified the Lic plate light housing to accomodate the camera.

Here is the view

That wasn't enough, and knowing how important rear tire placement is for the 80, I also put a camera on the trans cross member to help with spotting :hill:

Here is the view

Moab here I come :D

Crash
03-15-2009, 06:14 PM
But by far the best part is the camera inputs.

First thing I added a color backup camera. I modified the Lic plate light housing to accomodate the camera.
Here is the view

That wasn't enough so knowing how important rear tire placement is for the 80, I also put a camera on the trans cross member to help with spotting :hill:

Here is the view

Moab here I come :D

I hope I get the opportunity to watch you watching the camera monitor! Who knows, what good are rock lights if the driver can't see what they are lighting up - this could be the "next big thing" in wheeling, Mike. :thumb:

Romer
03-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Thats cool

cbmontgo
03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow. That is impressive.

Romer
03-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I think he out did the nakster

RockRunner
03-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Pretty sweet. I guess you can watch the screen while in drive? Most units only allow it in reverse or park.

If you don't mind me asking what is the price for the camera?

Beater
03-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Even if it's only in park, that's the schnizit. Most of the time the linkage isn't bound up too bad to put it in park on an obstacle that you need to get un-hung on..

Tch2fly
03-16-2009, 08:12 AM
If you don't mind me asking what is the price for the camera?

The cameras were about $35 each with shipping.

Pretty sweet. I guess you can watch the screen while in drive? Most units only allow it in reverse or park.

Even if it's only in park, that's the schnizit. Most of the time the linkage isn't bound up too bad to put it in park on an obstacle that you need to get un-hung on..

"LEGALLY" DVDs and other video cannot be seen by the driver while in motion. There is a wire connection that "must" ( :lmao: ) be made to the parking brake to lockout the screen unless the p-brake is activated. There is an easy solution to that :D

The reverse camera has no limitation set by the HU and can be activiated at any time.

nakman
03-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Way cool!!! :bowdown: I'd love to have something similar someday, can't wait to check it out!

Jacket
03-16-2009, 09:36 AM
WOW! Those are way cool! You're like a mobile self-surveillance unit....

Hulk
03-16-2009, 10:39 AM
This is way cool. Where does the iPod go?

Tch2fly
03-16-2009, 11:00 AM
This is way cool. Where does the iPod go?

iPod and USB cables are wired to the lower portion of the center console.

The HU will allow me to switch to using the actual iPod controls instead and the cable is long enough to reach the back seat so a passenger can run the music (I was too cheap to buy the wireless remote ;) )

RockRunner
03-16-2009, 04:32 PM
That is a pretty good deal, $35 for the remote cameras is affordable in case you mess one up. I am looking at getting a CC long bed truck and a RR camera is definitely in the picture.

Ron Helmuth
03-17-2009, 10:40 AM
jealous as all get out over here

dang

corsair23
03-17-2009, 11:51 AM
jealous as all get out over here

dang

x2...

Is it wrong of me to silently be wishing the radio in the LX would die so I can justify going with the bling? :hill:

Thou shall not covet another's radio... :)

Hulk
03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Is it wrong of me to silently be wishing the radio in the LX would die so I can justify going with the bling? :hill:

If your OEM radio works, you can sell it on eBay to help cover the cost of the upgrade.

That's how I spin these upgrades to my :Princess:.

YMMV. :D

Cheeseman
03-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I'll have to remember to smile when spotting you from the rear or after you've gone through the obstacle.
________
Shemale strokers (http://www.****tube.com/categories/974/strokers/videos/1)

Tch2fly
03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I'll have to remember to smile when spotting you from the rear or after you've gone through the obstacle.

that's ok I guess ... I have had women say they smile when the spot me from the rear :D

nakman
07-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I think he out did the nakster

Alright, a couple years later but not to be outdone I finally joined the upgraded HU party. I'd been looking at the new Pioneer 930 bt units for a while, was in BestBuy on Saturday and all the sales guys were of course busy doing other things :rolleyes: but this install dude was hanging out hooking up some of the displays and he started talking to me.. I got the quick low down on everything. Long story short they had the "old model" 930, the 920, on sale for $399- from $899... the only real difference is the new one has a volume knob, whereas the old one has a rocker switch. I do like knobs, but even I have limits, it's not worth $500 for a knob, so I have a Pioneer 920BT in the 100 now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzRXVw-mv_4

So then I'm like ok, how much for install, what about a backup camera, so out the door $800 for total turnkey, I'm pretty happy with it. So far I've done Sesame Street video podcasts, played youtubes on it from my phone, played videos taken by my phone, the Pandora app is cool, the handsfree phone sounds pretty awesome, CD's and DVD's all seem to work as advertised. I little finicky getting Pandora to launch sometimes, but hey I'll take it. Gavin's favorite part is the backup camera, and watching the road zoom away as we drive.

So now my question is, how do I add more cameras, and is that a simple A/B box? Mike how are you switching them? I only have 2 video inputs, AV1 is the ipod cable, AV2 is the backup cam, so I presume I need to run multiples through AV2, is that how you're doing it? Also do you have a link to those $35 cameras? :)

Jacket
07-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Good deal. This is in the 80 I presume? Did they wire it up so that you can run DVD's any time you want (as opposed to only when you are parked)?

I need to get on this asap - all I have left as functional in my 80 is the AM/FM radio....

nakman
07-05-2011, 02:11 PM
in the 100.. and yeah can see DVD's any time. I'll get some pictures tonight

Tch2fly
07-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I have two video inputs (well, an AV and an aux - ipod is a unique input) on the HU but switching views was a bit complex plus I was considering adding additional cameras and after a bit of looking I found what seemed like a good switching unit .... Quality Mobile Video A/V switcher (http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/avs400.aspx)There are cheaper units (or you can make one from a Radio Shack 2-pole/6-position rotary switch ) but that one had all the right features for me (I have since put that upgrade on hold)

I used a camera similar to this Pyle Flush Mount Camera (http://www.amazon.com/PLCM22IR-Flush-Mount-Camera-Vision/dp/B000MCKA5Q/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_back_u14ra). To do again I would avoid the "night vision" or "infrared" it causes issues when other light sources are available and doesn't really make much difference in pitch black.

nakman
07-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Ok few pics. the view through the backup camera, watching a DVD, the ipod interface, watching a video podcast from an ipod, and the Pandora app from my phone. :cool:

nakman
07-05-2011, 10:29 PM
I have two video inputs (well, an AV and an aux - ipod is a unique input) on the HU but switching views was a bit complex plus I was considering adding additional cameras and after a bit of looking I found what seemed like a good switching unit .... Quality Mobile Video A/V switcher (http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/avs400.aspx)There are cheaper units (or you can make one from a Radio Shack 2-pole/6-position rotary switch ) but that one had all the right features for me (I have since put that upgrade on hold)

I used a camera similar to this Pyle Flush Mount Camera (http://www.amazon.com/PLCM22IR-Flush-Mount-Camera-Vision/dp/B000MCKA5Q/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_back_u14ra). To do again I would avoid the "night vision" or "infrared" it causes issues when other light sources are available and doesn't really make much difference in pitch black.

Mike thanks for the links.. I think I'm going to pick up 3 of those cameras from Amazon.. also browsing a little more I ran across this switcher: http://www.amazon.com/COMPOSITE-VIDEO-STEREO-MATRIX-SWITCHER/dp/B002D83PCW/ref=lh_ni_t it's a 4x4, meaning 4 in and 4 out- you select what monitors see what from what sources. comes with a remote?

Presuming my sources end up being all 4 cameras, I'd be able to choose which camera to display as my "backup camera" using the selector. And thinking I later get a head rest monitor or two, I could let Gavin decide which camera he wants to watch, pretty much any time. Could make for some good peanut gallery spotting with a backseat full of backseat drivers, and 3 different simultaneous camera displays. alright may be getting ahead of myself here...

Oh, and here's what the camera install looks like.

Tch2fly
07-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Looks good Tim :thumb:

I totally agree on the switcher you found, multiple displays would definitely be a plus for your rig (maybe you should find a 6x6 .... you don't want to limit the possibilities ;) )

Rezarf
07-06-2011, 10:05 PM
If you guys would pull the top off those crusiers you could see even more than the camera can pick up! :D

Cool mods, Elmo in a cruiser... Dax would flip.

simps80
07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I've always thought nofx and sesame street go perfectly together. :)

nice result nak-dude!!

Corbet
07-06-2011, 11:02 PM
I still need to add a camera to my Kenwood unit. But like others I've been completely happy with it. I have not tried the pandora thing yet as I have Sirius and an Ipod currently. I wired mine to run DVD and full NAV functions anytime. Its really easy. Just move the parking brake wire over to a constant ground. Installing into an 80 is only minutes really.