PDA

View Full Version : What's a standard dealer fee?

60wag
03-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Is there a standard dealer fee added to the purchase of a used car or is it up to the individual dealer? My wife and I were looking at a car on Saturday and they tacked on a $500 fee. I though it was usually in the $300 range.

sleeoffroad
03-16-2009, 10:28 AM
There is no standard fee. A dealer can charge what they want, but once set, they have to charge the same on all vehicles. That is how I understand it.

Romer
03-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Everything is negotiable though. I have had this fee removed as part of a negotiation.

Tch2fly
03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
^^^
X2

Sometimes you can get them to agree to additional discounts equal to the amount of the fees but they MUST show the full fee on the contract.

chtucker
03-16-2009, 05:42 PM
I paid $79.00 at the Honda dealer in Grand Junction... I was pleased!

Corbet
03-16-2009, 06:54 PM
There is no standard fee. A dealer can charge what they want, but once set, they have to charge the same on all vehicles. That is how I understand it.

This is correct

Everything is negotiable though. I have had this fee removed as part of a negotiation.

Incorrect see below.

Sometimes you can get them to agree to additional discounts equal to the amount of the fees but they MUST show the full fee on the contract.

Dealer Handling (D&H) as it is referred to is simply additional profit. Every dealer sets its own fee. It is taxed. Simply ask what it is up front. Or negotiate an OTD (out the door) price. Keep in mind the dealer MUST collect sales tax with the deal. When I ran the independent dealer I set our fee at $89. Both franchise dealers I've worked/work for have charged $300-ish. $500 is pretty common on the front range.