PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating an insurance settlement

60wag
03-16-2009, 10:15 AM
So last weekend someone ran a stop sign and hit my wife's SAAB 9-5 in the drivers door, (no one hurt.) The damage doesn't look too bad but it pushed in the lower door hinge and some of the lower A pillar. Sure enough the insurance company wants to total it due to the complexity of repair. I'm hoping to hear from the company to today or tomorrow as to the settlement offer. I'm expecting the worst but what does the insurance have to cover? Is it the entire cost of replacement or some number that excludes taxes, registration, dealer fees and a significant hassle factor?

The wrecked car had recently received some significant maintenance (2500$) as well as a new set of wheels. Does any of that work count towards the value of the car and the ultimate settlement?

Bruce

Hulk
03-16-2009, 12:14 PM
IIRC, they will pay you what it would cost to buy the same car (year, model, mileage) used through the classifieds. However, they will usually give you some extra money to compensate for recent maintenance -- parts only, no labor. So if your $2500 maintenance fee was $1500 in parts and $1000 in labor, you should get an extra $1500. The wheels should be compensated for too, although they may give you the option to keep the new wheels if you have the old ones to swap back on.

Inukshuk
03-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Push as hard as you can for as much as you can. Provide a mountain of documentation. Adjusters have a lot of discretion. You should also keep your agent in the loop so they can pressure your adjuster. If you agent cares about your business they will fight for you.

60wag
03-18-2009, 01:07 PM
The first number they came back with way definitely low. I collected a dozen similar comps from Cars.com and faxed those along with a letter describing what I thought the settlement should be. They came back with an amount that was actually $150 over what I wanted. I'm shocked. BTW the ins company is American Family. Now to find another car.....

corsair23
03-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Glad to hear it is working out, relatively, in your favor :thumb:

The one thing that insurance companies never factor in (especially in cases like yours where somewhere else is at fault) is just how big of a hassle and royal PITA all this is to a person. I think there should be some $$ kicked in to cover that. Think of how many hours you'll spend dealing with this, looking for a new car, etc. and multiply that by say $50/hour :)

Inukshuk
03-18-2009, 04:15 PM
The first number they came back with way definitely low. I collected a dozen similar comps from Cars.com and faxed those along with a letter describing what I thought the settlement should be. They came back with an amount that was actually $150 over what I wanted. I'm shocked. BTW the ins company is American Family. Now to find another car.....

Great to hear.

thelal
03-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I just spent over 6 weeks haggling with my insurance company. What Daniel says is correct- use your agent to push them.
Lots of docs on what u're done, pictures of condition, maintaince etc.. helps and basically keep saying 'no' (on offers) until they start upp'ing it

Lal