PDA

View Full Version : Warm weather in the forecast- anyone charging their sprinkler system?

Romer
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Normally I don't turn on the sprikler till the 2nd week of April. The grass is starting the green up and the long term forecast is for dry warm weather. I know there will be a big snow or two. Anyone turning on their sprinkler system? I usually run it and shut of the water supply and drain the antisiphon valve until late May based on the forecast.

Uncle Ben
03-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Normally I don't turn on the sprikler till the 2nd week of April. The grass is starting the green up and the long term forecast is for dry warm weather. I know there will be a big snow or two. Anyone turning on their sprinkler system? I usually run it and shut of the water supply and drain the antisiphon valve until late May based on the forecast.

Yup....ran it two weeks ago. Polly run it this week or next again. When the trees start budding the yard needs water! If it doesn't get it from the sky you gotta git it from the reservoir! :rolleyes::(

RockRunner
03-16-2009, 10:47 PM
We ran our drip line for the trees for the last two weeks. Really want to water the lawn but am worried about waking it up to early. Should I be worried or??

Uncle Ben
03-16-2009, 10:59 PM
We ran our drip line for the trees for the last two weeks. Really want to water the lawn but am worried about waking it up to early. Should I be worried or??

You don't want to water the trees too much as if they get too much water in the tips and we get a late freeze you could lose branches. Grass doesn't matter.....its really hardy. Our rear lawn was so dry that it was wearing off the ground near the hot tub and common dog routes. Giving it a full round of water really helped! Gonna be a really hard blight year I'm afraid and the hornets are already starting to come out in the warm afternoons....bummer!

Groucho
03-17-2009, 07:29 AM
I ran the manual back and forth sprinkler yesterday afternoon for about 2 hours, all over the lawn. Good thing about the manual. You can move it around easy, and it drains when you put it away. I saw the same thing you did UB, dog routes were worn thin, if not gone.

Corbet
03-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Its discussions like this that really get us mountain folks fired up. Has anyone here made an effort to xeriscape parts their yards in an effort to use less water for irrigation? Denver Water has got "water police" running around Summit County fining wasteful water users meanwhile upon any visit to the front range I see constant overuse. :rolleyes: Not accusing anyone here, just something I've been on both sides of. While living in SLC I planted grass types that required less water. Run the sprinklers at night, tuned them off if rain was forecasted, etc... All the time while watching our neighbors fill the storm gutter with run off :doh::rant::banghead: I come very close to super gluing his sprinkler heads closed the night I moved.

OK off the soap box.

Romer
03-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Corbet - there are water restrictions, days etc down hire. Don't get fired up. My neighboor hood has designated days and hours to conserve.

Living in the mtns and the city are two different experiances. You dont typically have to worry about yards.

Uncle Ben
03-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Corbet - there are water restrictions, days etc down hire. Don't get fired up. My neighboor hood has designated days and hours to conserve.

Living in the mtns and the city are two different experiances. You dont typically have to worry about yards.

Exactly! Even native Colorado foliage(xeroscape) needs water! The difference between the mountains and the plains is the temps. Bad winters are better for the health of plants and grass because it stays in dormancy longer. This winter has been very mild and foliage across the board is coming out of dormancy way to soon. You can't stop that so you must give it water which is the source of life for all living things! Like Corbet, what always gets me on my soapbox is when folks say "as long as the mountains are getting snow it's great we are not." I would much rather my yard water came from the sky than the reservoir! But thats just me....

Corbet
03-17-2009, 09:43 AM
OK, I admit I enjoy stirring the pot a little on this subject. ;)

sleeoffroad
03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
No, because I have to fix the F(#$(&)T valve that burst. Drained the system, blew out the lines etc etc, didn't realize there was a another shut off valve inside the house (new house). So the outside valve is cracked and I have to replace it. I hate sprinkler plumbing.

Uncle Ben
03-17-2009, 10:26 AM
No, because I have to fix the F(#$(&)T valve that burst. Drained the system, blew out the lines etc etc, didn't realize there was a another shut off valve inside the house (new house). So the outside valve is cracked and I have to replace it. I hate sprinkler plumbing.

Bummer! Need help? It's a part of my job that I do a lot!

sleeoffroad
03-17-2009, 10:31 AM
UB, thanks, I will see how far I can screw it up, then I will call you :D

Jacket
03-17-2009, 11:37 AM
I got out the hose and screw-on sprinkler, and did it the old fashioned way.

timmbuck2
03-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Ya know Denver Water says it is way too early to water the lawn and horrible evil things will happen if you water now. I work for Denver Water. My sprinkler system is on and I am watering my trees and garden beds and lawn....

Hulk
03-17-2009, 01:26 PM

I'm in the Willows Water District and they patrol our neighborhood looking for abuse. One time a neighbor called them because I was washing my car! I had the requisite cut-off valve, so the water was running only when I used it. I talked to the water official who stopped by, who said I was fine. He said that people have gotten really conscious about water usage, to the point of becoming zealots about it.

People on the Front Range are pretty conscious about this. When the big drought hit a few years ago, folks changed their watering behavior, and it stayed the same even when the drought ended. In fact, IIRC, people stopped using so much water that Denver Water had to raise their rates!

I think it's much worse in the mountains actually. Example:

My in-laws live on the Western Slope in Cedaredge. They have no water restrictions, so my F-I-L waters his lawn everyday. It's the most beautiful lawn you have ever seen. He seems to think he has a natural born right to do this, even though they have lived there only 6 years. There is tons of water on top of the Grand Mesa.

corsair23
03-17-2009, 01:56 PM
I've noticed the people that are natives or have been here for years seem to be very conscious about watering...

Recently relocated people, especially Calfornians, not so much. Case in point is my neighbor across the street. Waters everyday in the summer (usually morning and night) and he cuts his grass super short like he is trying to create a green on a golf course. Me, I water every 3rd day, in the evening, and leave the grass high so it is more tolerant of the heat.

And I remember what Matt is talking about Denver Water raising the rates...Talk about a double whammy. Customers were encouraged to cut back on their water usage and they came through for the city and how did they get thanked? By having their water rates raised because they were so good at conserving the city had to raise rates to make up for the short fall in revenue. Guess you can do that when customers don't have a choice for where they get their water...

nakman
03-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I am not looking forward to receiving a water bill again, after a year+ without. I tend to have the brownest grass on the block too, sprinkler repair is done after Moab, IMO. .. :hill:

Corbet
03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
washing a vehicle equals a fine in Summit County if you are on a well. Not if you are on city water (it town limits). This it what always got me steamed. I pay to have a well drilled on my own property and I can only used the water inside the house. Anything outside is abuse. But if I were in town limits using city water no one would bat an eye if the grass was watered 24 hours a day.

Denver Water was afraid I'd use it all up before they could bill a customer for it?

I also remember when Denver Water was forced to raise rates. Its definitely a catch 22 with our current utility system.

Hulk
03-17-2009, 05:13 PM
I read somewhere that there are a lot of older houses in Denver with wells. If it was installed before the city regulated water, you are "grandfathered in" so it's perfectly legal to maintain your well and never pay a dime to Denver Water. I've always thought that if I was thinking about moving to Denver, I'd look for a house with a well.

timmbuck2
03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
A couple of years ago they had enlisted the mailmen to rat out people. One fine day I was repairing my system, replacing a couple of leaking heads, etc, and the mailman walked by and saw I had one zone on and sneered and said "you really think that is going to help any?". I just shrugged him off. 15 minutes later a Denver Water truck pulled up and a 18 year old hopped out to give me a "ticket". A few minutes later after explaining I was repairing the system, and telling the temp that I was in charge of producing paychecks at Denver Water, he left pretty quickly. :)

T

Inukshuk
03-17-2009, 06:38 PM
.... and telling the temp that I was in charge of producing paychecks at Denver Water, he left pretty quickly. :)
T

TOO FUNNY! I'm going to turn them on this week. Denver. Dogs too.

jettaglxdriver
03-17-2009, 10:46 PM
At Denver Public Schools we have only turned on our systems servicing Baseball fields and critical areas where our backflows are heated or inside. We have been doing some winter watering of our trees and shrubs also which we do for two years on anything new we plant.

I'd like to get our water turned on at more schools but we cannot keep up with our workload and still be able to react if we get a late cold snap. Good thing were converting even more fields over to grass from gravel (woohoo more acres to cover with the same crew).

I have recently heard CU or CSU has been working on new bluegrass varieties that grow deep roots (up to 12" I think) which will make them more tolerant of dry weather. I like bluegrass over the native blends they have been pushing on us because with tough water restrictions it can go completely dormant then come back where those native grasses in a tough dry spell will not go dormant like bluegrass and will actually die off making room for weeds later.

Air Randy
03-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Not to worry about drought fellas. I took my snow poles down yesterday and put them in the shed. That means there is a greatly increased chance that we will get a blizzard with at least a foot of heavy, wet drifting snow :) I'm doing my part. You guys need to go ahead and turn your sprinklers back on so it will for sure get down below freezing soon.

If we can get some others to put their patio furniture out or summerize their swimming pool or hot tub then we will for sure get lots of moisture. I don't think washing your car works as a rain dance until after June........

Uncle Ben
03-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Not to worry about drought fellas. I took my snow poles down yesterday and put them in the shed. That means there is a greatly increased chance that we will get a blizzard with at least a foot of heavy, wet drifting snow :) I'm doing my part. You guys need to go ahead and turn your sprinklers back on so it will for sure get down below freezing soon.

If we can get some others to put their patio furniture out or summerize their swimming pool or hot tub then we will for sure get lots of moisture. I don't think washing your car works as a rain dance until after June........

Thank you Randy! Much appreciated!!!!

Romer
03-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Hey Randy, can you sell all of your stock so my 401K will go back up?

Red_Chili
03-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Watered two weeks ago. Really made a difference (I have the dog racetrack issue too). Just in time for the freeze, and I was worried it would freeze but I had no time to drain it before work... so I turned it on to start the water moving and not freezing.

Made some REALLY cool icicles on our front tree! My younger son was not impressed with the caking of ice on his windshield though. :lmao:

It didn't freeze.

I drained it again that night, but I am going to start it up again. Oh, and Corbet, yeah, I have a drought-tolerant strain of bluegrass (I wanted rye/fescue, but the turf farm showed me the science and this stuff uses no more water and is much tougher). And a small yard. Intentionally.
:thumb:

Bikeman
03-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Since Highlands Ranch has that brand new reservoir at full capacity, I'm goin' to town.

Actually, 2/3'rds of my backyard is xeriscape, and what grass hasn't been killed by TAZ is far and few between.

I watered the front yard manually last week, and since it's North-facing, the ground was still frozen and the water just ran off into the street.

Hulk
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM

We put out our patio furniture on Sunday. :rolleyes:

Air Randy
03-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey Randy, can you sell all of your stock so my 401K will go back up?

Are you making fun of my strategy to buy high and sell low?

jacdaw
03-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Add this to the list of "rain dance" items: All 40 owners need to remove their hard tops before this weekend.

LARGEONE
03-19-2009, 12:57 PM
When I installed my sprinkler system (yes, I'm crazy and did the whole thing myself), I added a couple of extra drain valves so that I can drain the expensive stuff (backflow, valves, etc) without blowing out the system. I turned mine on a couple of weeks ago and should be OK unless we're expecting 3-4 days of 20 degree weather!

My dogs have completely demolished my back yard this year...way worse than any other year.

jettaglxdriver
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM
If you want some snow in Dever just hang on were about to take the plows off of our trucks.

farnhamstj
03-20-2009, 07:44 PM
You guys suck. I still got over two feet of snow in the yard.

Romer
03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Ran the system repaired a broken sprinkler head and drained the anti-siphon valve ahead of the below freezing weather during the evening a couple of days next week.

I was amazed that all the tress are budding, but then it's sping now.

Guess I shouldn't tell you I have been driving with the top down on the Z4 the last few days :D

bh4rnnr
03-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Just drive an hour east, it'll be warm for ya:rolleyes::eek:

jettaglxdriver
03-20-2009, 10:36 PM
As of yesterday at DPS we started charging more of our irrigation systems. Watch out next week. ;)

treerootCO
03-21-2009, 08:33 AM
I never got around to draining the system last year. All sorts of fun yesterday but everything has been replaced. I learned one cool thing in the process. Home depot sells rebuild kits for the brass vacuum brakes so instead of $100, it only costs $20 to rebuild one. I highly doubt they sell that for the PVC ones.

Uncle Ben
03-21-2009, 11:07 AM
I never got around to draining the system last year. All sorts of fun yesterday but everything has been replaced. I learned one cool thing in the process. Home depot sells rebuild kits for the brass vacuum brakes so instead of $100, it only costs $20 to rebuild one. I highly doubt they sell that for the PVC ones.

Just in time to drain it again! Sunday night through Tuesday has heavy snow predicted.

jettaglxdriver
03-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah good thing DPS is on Spring Break that means if we do get a lot of snow we only have to plow the sidwalks and parkinglots and we can wait until morning to do it so no midnight call outs.

Air Randy
03-26-2009, 08:33 AM

I told ya, yee of little faith. Anyone want me to give them some lotto number picks? :hill:

Romer
03-26-2009, 08:38 AM
I still am waiting for you to pull out of the stock market :D

treerootCO
03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
I drained it last night. When I installed the system a few years ago I just plumbed a quick disconnect to the system for the air compressor.

subzali
03-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I did my part! Washed my truck this past weekend! :thumb:

jacdaw
03-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Weather like this makes me want a set of these (for my someday 690E)
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/ktm%20snow/ktmsnow2.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/ktm%20snow/ktmsnow1.jpg

So I can do this:
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/ktm%20snow/ktmsnow3.jpg
Photos lovingly borrowed from:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416254

Red_Chili
03-26-2009, 09:41 AM
What's your handle on ADVRider?

Oh, yeah... I drained my system again last night. No blowing out needed, really. I put a sillcock on the supply line and just open it, and open the vacuum breaker ports, and open the sillcock on the manifold underground.

jacdaw
03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
What's your handle on ADVRider? <snip>

Hey Bill, I'm really boring over there and have a low post count. Handle is simply: johnclary and I'm a lurker for the most part. I hang out in the oldskool threads.

wesintl
03-26-2009, 06:25 PM
I didn't blow out my system. Most of the people I know don't even blow it out.

unfortunately I have to buy another one of thos $30 plastic pieces that goes in the valve.

what a rip off
http://www.febcoonline.com/pages/repairKit_hiRes.asp?kitId=1232

corsair23
03-27-2009, 03:34 AM
I didn't blow out my system. Most of the people I know don't even blow it out.

unfortunately I have to buy another one of thos $30 plastic pieces that goes in the valve.

This year blow it out :) - I'm sure you have an air compressor and if not, stop by and borrow mine...I don't worry about the above ground stuff so much (aside from the parts cost) but I definitely don't want to be digging 2' down in our crap soil to fix a busted pipe :eek:...Maybe if I had installed the system and knew it drained well but I didn't and it doesn't...

subzali
03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Weather like this makes me want a set of these (for my someday 690E)
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/ktm%20snow/ktmsnow2.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/ktm%20snow/ktmsnow1.jpg

So I can do this:
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/johncleirigh/ktm%20snow/ktmsnow3.jpg
Photos lovingly borrowed from:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416254

Nice, I'm hoping someday, once I get some experience under my belt with my 250 (first motorcycle, see sig), to get the 950 Super Enduro
http://ktm.com/950-Super-Enduro-R.67.20.html (Check out the video BTW, that guy is a GOOD rider)

And then maybe get some of these...
http://2moto.com/

;) j/k but chains or studs looks like plenty of fun in the snow! Maybe one of these days!

wesintl
03-27-2009, 10:35 AM
This year blow it out :) - I'm sure you have an air compressor and if not, stop by and borrow mine...I don't worry about the above ground stuff so much (aside from the parts cost) but I definitely don't want to be digging 2' down in our crap soil to fix a busted pipe :eek:...Maybe if I had installed the system and knew it drained well but I didn't and it doesn't...

The ground isn't cold enough. It's never been an issue. I have compressed air but don't use it very often.

Inukshuk
03-28-2009, 12:38 PM
I have all these nice icicles from where the sprinklers ran Thursday night - I was away. I also briefly ran each zone this morning to flow some water through.