PDA

View Full Version : Transmission rebuild

Rogue Leader
03-17-2009, 03:51 PM
So I finished up my engine rebuild and before I put the tranny and xfer back on I changed the oil in both. The xfer was dry and there were some metal shavings in the bottom of the transmission. It was making a whining noise before I pulled it back in September. I decided to try and rebuild the transmission just to learn how they actually work. I have the FSM so i started there. After pulling all the covers off I started to pull the input shaft. Thats where the fun started. The first gear on the input shaft is hitting a gear on the counter shaft so the input shaft wont come out. Then I thought that I'd pull the rear bearing in order to allow the output shaft to move more. Well that bearing is stuck hard in and I broke a puller trying to get it out. So what I'm getting at is, has anyone pulled one of these apart and if so are there any tricks out there that would make it easier? Ill post pics when I get home from school.

thanks
Sean Jones

Rogue Leader
03-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Here are the pictures:

nakman
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
No help here, but I can give you another transmission you can have to practice on. :)

subzali
03-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Sean, do you want to go through the trouble to rebuild a 3 spd tranny when you could do a little work and have a much more driveable 4 spd?

post up pictures of your engine rebuild, slacker ;)

Jacket
03-17-2009, 04:35 PM
And when you figure it all out maybe you can tell me why my 4 speed won't go back into gear after I put it in neutral.....

nakman
03-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Sean, do you want to go through the trouble to rebuild a 3 spd tranny when you could do a little work and have a much more driveable 4 spd?

post up pictures of your engine rebuild, slacker ;)

There you go, listen to your elder... :rolleyes: come get my 4 speed, rebuild it, find yourself a bell housing and start livin' large!

Rogue Leader
03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
It is a 4 speed. Ill put pics on my engine rebuild thread.

Cruiserdrew
03-17-2009, 11:39 PM
To get it apart, you first need to pull the c-clips on the outside, then pull the lower bearings that hold the counter shaft, then drop the shaft into the bottom of the tranny. next, drive the input gear out the front of the tranny with a brass drift. Finally, after all of that, you can remove the main shaft.

There is no way around tearing it completely down. If you just tray and drive out the input, the gear on the countershaft will prevent it from being driven completely out. That's why the first step is to pull the bearings and drop the counter shaft down.

Clear as mud?

Rogue Leader
03-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks Mr. Cruiserdrew. The FSM says to pull the input shaft first but that obviously didn't work. Ill post my progress when I get home from the shop.

Red_Chili
03-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Not the same tranny, but there are only so many ways to skin a cat.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/r151f/

That synchro definitely ain't right. Yes, you can do this. If I can, anyone can.

subzali
03-18-2009, 09:38 AM
It is a 4 speed. Ill put pics on my engine rebuild thread.

oops, my bad :o

you have a '74 right? Now it's coming back to me...

Jacket
03-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I believe he's got a 76.

Rzeppa
03-18-2009, 08:51 PM
You need a special puller to get the mainshaft bearing races out. There isn't enough clearance for the teeth of a regular puller. The factory SST works, as does the Sears Craftsman unit (can't remember their special name for it).

Rogue Leader
03-20-2009, 06:43 PM
The cruiser is a '74. Got everything pulled apart, took a combination of homemade pullers, press, BFH, c-clamps, and blood, but it came apart. Spent all day today cleaning and painting the housings. I took over 70 pictures of everything and they are posted here: http://picasaweb.google.com/Sjones1029/TransmissionTransferCase?feat=directlink

Rzeppa
03-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Nice photos! Home made SSTs can be just as good as the factory $$$ SST pullers.