PDA

View Full Version : EMc SAN? Meet Gen1 4runner

leiniesred
03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Did you know a full height EMC Storage area Network rack fits in the back of a 4runner (with the top of the truck off of course!)

We just moved our non-production EMC SAN across town in the back of my ol' 4Runner.
It fit perfectly in the area behind the roll bar. Good thing I never bobbed my truck!

We left it standing up, strapped it to the roll bar (for safety ya know)

I was shocked at how heavy that server rack is. I bet that thing weighs 400 pounds.

(If you have no idea what I'm talking about, picture an old 4Runner driving down the road (nose high) with a refrigerator full of computers standing upright in the back.)

LETSROLL
03-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Did that invalidate your warranty?

subzali
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Toyotas - Made to Work (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=193)

leiniesred
03-17-2009, 05:29 PM
The SAN warranty?
It was already non-certified. It has been sitting, unused and unpowered for 3 years now. Want to buy it? Yeah, it'll need to be re-certified. No, I don't have any data storage drives for it. Yeah it is cheaper to buy a whole new SAN than to get a used CX300 online. We've tried it.

One of the reasons the company I work at brought their IT back in-house was to get expenses under control. This SAN was purchased for us without a clearly defined purpose or need. Our organization never actually used it! (Although the outsourcing IT organization was using it!)
The night we moved out, there was a drive array in it. When it arrived at our new, in-house location, that drive array was missing. There was also too much FDDI attached to it for just us. They were using our gear for their purposes! (Not a bad idea really. We weren't using it even though they told us to buy it.)
It was a 30K mistake that helped prompt this company to get rid of their out-sourced IT. I am part of the new in-house IT staff.

My truck's warranty?
I don't think so. My record weight is 2,100 pounds of hardwood flooring in the back of that 4Runner. I don't think the Toyota warranty goes to 268,000 miles either.
;)

thelal
03-25-2009, 10:11 AM
30K is not 2 bad of a mistake. A startup I was involed with ending up purchasing an EMC system for $1M (height of the internet bubble). I totally advised against it and suggested other building block storage options (get more as u grow etc..).
It lasted 2 yrs and they went under!

A lot of old storage stuff is really heavy and hard 2 get rid of.
I've an old NetApp storage system that I can't find a front-end filer 4, so its just collecting dust!

Lal

Caribou Sandstorm
03-25-2009, 10:29 AM
42U in the back of a 4runner not bad.

I sell radiology image software and storage. FUJIFILM medical systems.

We are the big goriila in Colorado. I like Hitachi better and we validated Hitachi's HSM, way better the DX.

LETSROLL
03-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Interesting info. I work for Sun Microsystems and sell HDS storage and LSI based storage. EMC and Netapp are competitors.

Might be working for IBM soon!!!

Caribou Sandstorm
03-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Cool. I didn't want to dis EMC..but my customers really dislike the Centera storage line. they are so expensive to maintain. Smaller customers usually go with a DAS and LTO. LTO in our works is really only for DR and not for pulling stuff on a daily basis. You can get a Dell 6TB DAZ now for 9K. that is soo cheap.