PDA

View Full Version : Overland Expo April 24-26

Caribou Sandstorm
03-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I am about 99% sure I am going to this. Anyone else planning on going?

Incase you are wondering, Prescott AZ is about 6 hours from Moab. I will be heading to Moab on Sunday April 26th. Porbably a few folks attending this will be headed our way to Moab. I am hoping to convince a few vendors (baja rack and Camping Lab) to come to cruise Moab, as well.

Jacket
03-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Doesn't look good for me at all. But I had dinner with Graham Jackson Saturday night, and he said they've got over 150 groups signed up, plus vendors, plus press from NY Times, Car and Driver, and others I can't remember. Some very distinguished guests/speakers too....

I really had my sights on this exposition, but with the proximity to CM and a couple other complications, I doubt I'll pull it off.

bh4rnnr
03-23-2009, 08:11 PM
I am about 99% sure I am going to this. Anyone else planning on going?

Incase you are wondering, Prescott AZ is about 6 hours from Moab. I will be heading to Moab on Sunday April 26th. Porbably a few folks attending this will be headed our way to Moab. I am hoping to convince a few vendors (baja rack and Camping Lab) to come to cruise Moab, as well.

I know Paul from Equipt is goint to be there, and i'm planning on meeting Paul in Beef Basin Either Sunday or Monday, just need to finish out the planning. Your more than welcome to join us. We will be back in time for the overnighter.

:beer::beer:

Caribou Sandstorm
03-24-2009, 08:07 AM
I would love to join you guys in Beef Basin, Perry. Have to check with Neil to see if I have responsibilities on Monday or Tuesday for setting up at CM.

Matt, I was hoping you would make it. This and CM are my only big outing this season, not counting a few shorter trips locally.

Let me know if you change your mind. Also hoping Robbie, might decide to check this out.

I think this is definately going to be one of those not to miss events.

Jacket
03-24-2009, 09:23 AM
So I laid in bed last night considering the possibilities of a weekend at the Overland Expo followed by a slow, lazy route north back into Utah, maybe through Sedona and parts of southern Utah. Needless to say I couldn't fall asleep....

So Chris are you thinking speeding back to Moab, or taking a few days and making a slow journey back to Utah. The latter sounds really appealing to me...

powderpig
03-24-2009, 10:33 AM
The allure of the open road, sleepless night, stars, beautiful picture perfect country side just waiting for you to enjoy

Caribou Sandstorm
03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
I know am I crazy or does this sound like a must do. There goes a week's vacation. You only live once, might as well get what you pay for...

This guy once said to me, "there is no time like the present." So Robbie are you in?

Matt, I may have to be back to Moab by Tuesday at the latest. Helping with Cruise Moab but hoping to get some trails in also. Will be bringing my mountain bike, to at least get a couple of porcupine loops in.

So Sunday and Monday may find me meandering toward Moab. My wife and kids are not coming for this leg or the expo. My wife's parents live in Pinetop AZ, so they will be following me as far as Pinetop. We will stay at their place Wed. night April 22 and I will head to Prescott on Thursday from there, expecting to hit In-n-out burger for lunch on Thursday and setting up camp at the expo, Thursday night.

As the reigning expedition champion, don't you have some photo op obligation...:-) I know you have already pitched that to the home team...

Caribou Sandstorm
03-24-2009, 01:36 PM
I guess I am 100% in, I just registered.

bh4rnnr
03-24-2009, 05:47 PM
I would love to join you guys in Beef Basin, Perry. Have to check with Neil to see if I have responsibilities on Monday or Tuesday for setting up at CM.

Matt, I was hoping you would make it. This and CM are my only big outing this season, not counting a few shorter trips locally.

Let me know if you change your mind. Also hoping Robbie, might decide to check this out.

I think this is definately going to be one of those not to miss events.

Chris, I will keep you updated with the planning etc.. I know Paul will be coming in a different way into the Basin rather than using the 211 entrance. I have a campsite in mind (where I stayed in October) and should hold a few rigs. My main plan for going back is to inspect a cliff dweling within Beef Basin wash. I also plan to climb down into Gypsum Canyon to inspect a few waterfalls. I plan on getting back in time tuesday to help where needed.

Caribou Sandstorm
03-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Sounds great!

There is some discussion at home, that might now include wife and kids, so we might have to pass on Beef basin if that happens. Will let you know if I am flying solo or traveling with crew.

As we get closer to the date, I will know what my wife's plans are and can let you know if I am in or out for Beef Basin. Your plan sounds great, to get some hiking and exploring in.

Caribou Sandstorm
03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Wife and kids now staying with her parents in Pinetopn AZ for a visit.

So looks like I am in for Beef Basin! Rover67 maybe joining us also..

Jacket?

bh4rnnr
03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Wife and kids now staying with her parents in Pinetopn AZ for a visit.

So looks like I am in for Beef Basin! Rover67 maybe joining us also..

Jacket?

Sweet! I'll let Paul know, maybe you guys can caravan up. He will be heading in a different way than me into Beef Basin. Will be fun to have a group along for the ride:cool:

Jacket
03-29-2009, 09:26 AM
My company just had some layoffs on Friday, so now the weekend for OvExpo looks really iffy. One of my old customers is having a big go-live that weekend, and I will probably have to get involved since the gal I got to replace me was one of the ones let go....

But if I could get out of there by Sunday, I'd love to go hang out in Utah somewhere before CM. My wife is going to Cortez again for the week with the kids, so I'll be solo until Wednesday or Thursday.

powderpig
03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
I am thinking about this, I would have to give up going with the Norcal group that is playing in Utah the same time. The wife thinks it may be a great thing to do. So many choices, so little time.

Caribou Sandstorm
03-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Hey Matt and Robbie,

Marco (Rover67) also may be coming in late in the weekend. We can set a meeting place for Sunday?

Robbie, hope you can make it, if not, maybe we can all catch up somewhere UT.

Caribou Sandstorm
04-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey Perry,

There is a chance that a few additional RS guys will be in the neighborhood (Utah) after the Overland Expo. Can we all crash your Beef Basin Party with Paul? Potential RS guys heading into Utah following the Overland Expo:
-Me leaving the expo Sunday night for Utah
-Rover 67 (Marco) may be coming to the last few days of the expo or heading straight to Utah
-Jacket (Matt) maybe be heading to Utah Sunday or Monday
-Powderpig (Robbie) maybe going to the expo and heading to Utah after that or just heading to Utah

Let us know we don't want to crash your party if there is not enough room and already a large group.

bh4rnnr
04-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Hey Perry,

There is a chance that a few additional RS guys will be in the neighborhood (Utah) after the Overland Expo. Can we all crash your Beef Basin Party with Paul? Potential RS guys heading into Utah following the Overland Expo:
-Me leaving the expo Sunday night for Utah
-Rover 67 (Marco) may be coming to the last few days of the expo or heading straight to Utah
-Jacket (Matt) maybe be heading to Utah Sunday or Monday
-Powderpig (Robbie) maybe going to the expo and heading to Utah after that or just heading to Utah

Let us know we don't want to crash your party if there is not enough room and already a large group.

Chris,

You all are welcome, well except for maybe Robbie:eek::hill::bowdown:

If I can ever get ahold of Paul, i'll let him know your going to tag along. As stated, I think he is coming in from the south. I'll let you guys know about camp when times get closer. Looks like I may have a night to myself out there:cool:

P.S: Will be heading into the Basin sometime Sunday, after the rods leave Moab.

Caribou Sandstorm
04-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks Perry,

Sounds Good, I am also coming from the south, maybe I can follow Paul. Guessing he is heading up from the expo.

Matt and Marco may also be coming from the North, their plans seemed more un clear, so far. Maybe they will show up late Sunday and keep you company..

bh4rnnr
04-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks Perry,

Sounds Good, I am also coming from the south, maybe I can follow Paul. Guessing he is heading up from the expo.

Matt and Marco may also be coming from the North, their plans seemed more un clear, so far. Maybe they will show up late Sunday and keep you company..

Chris, Paul will be at the Expo.

Jacket
04-05-2009, 09:29 AM
I would be leaving Boulder on Sunday - route and ETD are still up in the air. :camping:

powderpig
04-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Well I am in on this Expo and will leave on the 22 of april. More towards the afternoon. I would think I would arrive on thursday night some time. I will be looking for a place to camp and will look at some of the threads on Where.
Looking forward to seeing what is going on and meeting some interesting people.
Then drive tag along with others heading to Moab, I need to be in Moab on Tuesday by mid day (unless I hear other wise).

Jacket
04-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Glad to hear it. I have a feeling there will be some very cool eye candy down in Prescott that weekend. Too bad I'll have to miss that part.

Caribou Sandstorm
04-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Awesome! Robbie there is a thread in the expedition portal and a lot of folks are camping together off site I think. I am set for camping at the event but I would be interested in camping off site as well. I will arrive Thursday afternoon to check it out.

Here is the camping thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23225&page=11

Jacket
04-20-2009, 09:09 AM
So who's still in for Beef Basin before CM? Since my plans are somewhat variable and dependent on work, I'd like to know if I'll be able to find anyone as I journey to the west some time Sunday.

bh4rnnr
04-20-2009, 10:03 AM
So who's still in for Beef Basin before CM? Since my plans are somewhat variable and dependent on work, I'd like to know if I'll be able to find anyone as I journey to the west some time Sunday.

I'm still planning on being there till sometime Tuesday. Planning on leaving early Sunday from Moab. I'll send you a pm about where i'm planning on camping.

No ham in this vehicle.

Jacket
04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Sounds great.

rover67
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey Matt, Perry.. I have my plans hammered out. Be in Moab by Sunday morning for a MTB ride, then go looking for Perry in Beef Basin.

Matt, give me a buzz whenever. Perry, I'll hook up with you around camp Sunday. Maybe I can hang at camp and ride and wait on Matt, then we can both catch up with you Perry.

Chris, I think squeezing in the Overland Expo will be too much.

Caribou Sandstorm
04-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Sounds good guys. I think I am planning on leaving the Expo on Sunday heading to Beef Basin, following Robbie and Paul (Equipt). See you (Matt, Perry, Marco in the basin on Monday?) Robbie has HAM, I am on CB. I will stay on 7,8, 12 on CB.

Man that RTT was a bear to install, that snow storm killed me time wise. In Pine Top AZ, last night and today. Happy to be headed to Prescott this afternoon. Robbie, ping me when you get into town...303-881-6630

Jacket
04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
If all goes well I'll be there Sunday, heading through Gateway, John Brown Canyon and then into BB. Assuming you'll set up camp off Beef Basin road somewhere, will somebody hang a flag/sign/pair of pink panties that might draw some attention?

bh4rnnr
04-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Matt,

I was planning on camping within the Beef basin Loop. My camp will be along the ridge to the south, before you come to gypsum Canyon and before the road turns to the north.

I will pm you my cell if you have any q's. Hanging in Delta today.:cool: