PDA

View Full Version : OME Spring Noise...

corsair23
03-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Ok...

It is starting to drive me nuts and when the :Princess: notices it then it is time to ask for help...

For the last few months I have been hearing a noise that I can best describe as being a "boing". At first I thought it was one of the calipers. Checked all of them and they are tight. I happened to hop in the back on the LX with the tailgate down and when I got back out I heard the boing or bong noise. Hmmm...

Upon futher inspection when I would load up the rear end (i.e. put my weight on the back and release) and then unload the weight I could hear the noise. Doing this I noticed the PS rear spring would "quiver" and make the noise.

The noise is frequent now when driving: speed bump = boing; when I decelerate = usually a boing; dip = boing; back into the driveway = boing

Anyone else ever experience this and what, if anything, did you do? A search of MUD didn't turn up anything real helpful. Springs are about 2 yrs old now and are the heavies if that matters...Aside from ridding myself of the annoying noise I really just want to make sure that I'm not going to experience a catastrophic spring failure now, or worse while towing the popup to CM 09 :eek:

TIA

nakman
03-24-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm going to guess you have a little surface rust, or some dirt, between the axle perch thing and the spring, and the spring is twisting a little bit as it compresses and uncompresses. To test, squirt something slippery onto the bottom of the spring where it's sitting on the axle and see if the sound changes, or goes away.

Could also be one of the panhard rod bolts needs a good snuggin', but that's more of a thunk than a boing. And it could be the bump stop inside the spring rubbing the spring somewhere, but that's more of a doonk sound, not really a thunk and less of a boing. hth... :)

corsair23
03-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks Tim :thumb:

I'll give the spring perches a squirt of something slick and see what happens. It was odd because during our trip to Steamboat and back a couple of weeks ago there wasn't a peep. Once it warmed up again (i.e. got back to town) the boinging started up again.

I also noticed tonight that I get a nice boing when the spring unloads taking a corner...at least it is fairly consistent :)

wesintl
03-24-2009, 11:50 PM
http://simplythebest.net/sounds/WAV/sound_effects_WAV/sound_effect_WAV_files/boing_1.wav

corsair23
03-24-2009, 11:58 PM
:lmao:

Almost, but deeper...more like a "bwong" than a "boing"

farnhamstj
03-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I get a nice squeek off my upper rear shock mount. not spring but similar noise. I hit it with grease every so often. My sugestion is to use grease and a model paintbrush to get some grease in where there is metal on metal. Spray stuff seems to wash off faster than thick grease.

nakman
03-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I'll give the spring perches a squirt of something slick and see what happens..

Well?? :rolleyes: :p: :D

corsair23
03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Well?? :rolleyes: :p: :D

Well, I didn't get to it before the snow and now no sound...It will return, just a matter of time and then I'll squirt her down :hill:

nuclearlemon
03-31-2009, 10:20 AM
i get horrible noises from my suspension in the same situations, but it's clunking, not boing. i've gotten used to it.

corsair23
05-16-2009, 12:46 AM
To test, squirt something slippery onto the bottom of the spring where it's sitting on the axle and see if the sound changes, or goes away.

:thumb: - Shot the rear springs with some Prolube stuff just before CM09 and there has not been a single "bwong" or "boing" since. Not even on the trails at CM09 :)

Thanks Tim!

nakman
05-16-2009, 10:44 PM
:) :thumb: :)