PDA

View Full Version : sound deadening

Beater
03-28-2009, 07:43 AM
ok - sorta tech.

I want to install some sound deadening material in the firewall and floor area of the t100. In typical older toyota truck fashion, it has NONE. (I miss my 80 sometimes). Anyway, what are some CB options? (cheap bastid) I don't want to spend for dynamat, and I am not dealing with a heat issue, so I won't be putting it on the engine side.

I was thinking some type of 3~4mm thick rubber/closed cell foam product? Anyone have any ideas?

I know this thing will never be quiet, as it seems the cab is mostly glass (sunroof, vent windows, sliding rear window, etc) but I have a resonant noise issue from the motor/tranny at 2800~3200 rpm (freeway uphill speed) that is quite loud.

thanks in advance

treerootCO
03-28-2009, 09:39 AM
I used:

http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html
and
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1390349&cp=&sr=1&kw=insulation&origkw=insulation&parentPage=search&searchId=40877526484
on the roof and walls....made more of an improvement that I thought it would.

I plan on running the thick stuff (V-comp) B-quiet sells for the firewall and floor.

calphi27
03-28-2009, 05:30 PM
i used some second skin i picked up at their dealer in englewood.

Red_Chili
03-28-2009, 06:32 PM
With a soft top I would never notice - especially with the sides rolled up! :lmao:

Earplugs would be my sound deadening device. Actually, safety concerns aside, noise-rejecting MP3 player earplugs would solve both the sound and stereo needs. I think it's illegal though.

Jacket
03-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I must be missing something, I thought all Toyotas were supposed to be loud. Might be my sample size, FJ40s, 1984 and 1991 pickups, Dean's 1980... Hmmm. I thought it was pretty cool when I finally installed A/C and could almost hold a sustained conversation with Kirsten on the highway.

Still holding true in 2006. It's almost shocking how much wind noise I get with a roof rack on my truck. I always tell myself its worth it for a Toyota drivetrain, but sometimes I wonder....

Beater
03-29-2009, 11:05 AM
well - I do a lot of bidness from my hooptie, and it would be useful for people to hear me above the white noise my headset picks up...

rover67
03-29-2009, 05:33 PM
people can never hear me when I'm on the phone in the 60... sound deadening is definitely in the future somewhere.

Rzeppa
03-29-2009, 11:10 PM
From a many-year's ago thread on this subject on the LCML. "Back in the day", sound deadening was done with asphalt (tar), even from the factory. Applied judiciously to the underside of floorboards, fender wells, etc., is extremely effective and totally passes the CB test. You can also stick roofing tiles to the tar while it is still gooey to increase the sound deadening properties. Note that undercoating is basically tar, also.

Rock Dog
04-03-2009, 07:33 PM
I finally received delivery of a roll of the B-quiet Ultimate.... wish it would have arrived before i put in the drawer system in the 80 :rolleyes:

Beater
04-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I have seriously considered the undercoating, with a re-enforcement of a layer of some insulation between the panels/carpet in the cab. It's sounds silly, but since this was a Nor-cal truck, the only thing holding me back is that the undercarriage looks like it just rolled off the showroom, and I love how clean it is under there every time I have to do something under the truck..

silly I know...

Beater
08-30-2010, 04:35 PM
bringing back an old thread - what about using asphalt on the firewall? too hot? I know - I'm stupid but really it should work right?

PabloCruise
08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Has anyone tried Quiet Crap from Cruiser Crap - a MUD vendor?

Beater
08-31-2010, 08:56 AM
ok - so I used the aerosol version put out by rustoleum last night, almost a full can on the upper firewall. I didn't even bother to tape, as this stuff only has a spray pattern of a few degrees.

While it is not pretty, it definitely muted the sound on my drive this morning. I actually had to turn the radio down, not up. Next up is to crawl under and spray the lower firewall and the floor pan.

I am going to use very thin fiberglass matting/cellulose around the cab trim, as there is tons of space between the plastic and the sheet metal.

That plus the thicker carpet/backing from fleabay and I might be down to 2005 taco noise levels.

Beater
09-01-2010, 12:05 PM
I put another coat on the firewall, and a single coat under the seating area. Definitely worth the cost of the material. Not lexus quiet, but enough difference that I can play my radio 30-40% lower in volume.

I can definitely hear that the noise is now coming from the cab areas, behind the trim that I haven't treated yet.

Beater
09-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Pictures! This is undercoating, right? What Rustoleum product are you using? There are a couple of different ones.

This stuff:
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=364

Not much to look at. Basic Black. I applied it now to the wheel wells, firewall and underbody. plus I have the bed coated.

thisGuy
09-14-2010, 03:05 PM
That thin coat actually helped with noise deadening?

Beater
09-14-2010, 03:24 PM
no. I made it up. Yes, it did, and it's a few mils thick (in paint terms)

Rzeppa
09-14-2010, 05:54 PM
That thin coat actually helped with noise deadening?

Anything that increases the mass (or changes the tensile strength) of a sheet metal panel such as a firewall, tranny hump, floorboards, etc., will lower its resonant frequency and attenuate more acoustic energy. In this case the mass is increased and the aggregate tensile strength is decreased.

thisGuy
09-15-2010, 03:36 PM
thank you for pointing that out and enlightening me =-)

thelal
08-24-2011, 08:56 PM
I just finished taking out (similar to Treeroot - thanks 4 his install photos etc.) all the interior of my 80 (1997) and put in QuietCrap (ih8mud) which is same as Rumble Mat , on all floors, rear quarter panels, inside wheel wells and back fold down rear door. Yet to do doors.

I also put in the same Reflextix (via Lowe's) heat insulation as well. Was planning on just doing it PS (over exhaust) (which was where the 'complaint' came from my good lady regd 'too hot') but in the end did it everywhere.
Installed fine and easy enough, but tedious

It has helped a lot with heat and also with sound (have 'loud' 2" exhaust) but likely the sound could be improved some more via sound 'mat' (foam type etc.)

Also laid down a lot of wiring (ran 6g from main battery location -when get around to 2nd battery (2*6vs line David) to under FR passenger seat, and from there to both rear quarter panels, to front engine (both sides) and to console area. Fuseboxes on order and what 'gadgets' to buy next :)

Cleaning a 13yr old carpet was definitely worthwhile!

SteveH
08-25-2011, 10:01 AM
I have used ice and water shield (roofing material), cut in squares, and stacked a few layers deep, and this has worked well. My FJ55's doors would 'boing' when you shut them, and this completely took care of it.

It's quite sticky, and heat only would make it stick better. I'm sure there are some areas on a vehicle that are too hot for this, however.

riderjgs
08-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Inside floor and firewall on my 55 are covered in Quiet Crap and the difference is amazing. Also easy to trim and apply. Now to the tedious part of doing the doors and cargo sides.

TIMZTOY
08-27-2011, 11:36 PM
if it's soully for phone reasons.

This ear piece (http://jawbone.com/?r=g2&gclid=CJaupNOU8aoCFcQEQAodM1qgOg) is a godsend.. ive used them driving down the highway at 70mph with all windows open and radio on, and the person on the other side couldnt even tell i was in my truck.

Rezarf
09-02-2011, 12:38 AM
I have used B-Quiet when I was installing a lot of audio systems as a part time job. Great results like Dynamat, without the excessive price.

thelal
09-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Did you use any other material (sound 'foam') to help with the car audio systems or was it just B-Quiet on its own?

Rezarf
09-02-2011, 11:52 AM
B-quiet under the factory carpet. Even a small sqare of it inside a door panel or under a plastic trim piece really quiet a car down.