PDA

View Full Version : I'm a WFR

MDH33
03-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Just finished my 9 day crash course to become a Wilderness First Responder. It has been on my to do list for a few years and I finally had the chance to take the course. 80 hours and a ton of information. I feel like I'm ready to tackle just about any medical emergency I might find on the trail. :)

Mendocino
03-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Congratulations Martin! :thumb: I had a look at this course and it looked very interesting. Time permitting, i would love to take it.

Uncle Ben
03-30-2009, 07:54 AM
:thumb::thumb: Congratulations Martin! What a great thing to know!

powderpig
03-30-2009, 08:08 AM
I hope you never "really" have to use it, but it is a wonderful knowledge base of info that can serve you and your family if needed. Over the years, I have needed to use the training and it is a great feeling to know you have served someone well with your training.
Good Job.

nakman
03-30-2009, 08:22 AM
That's a great accomplishment, Martin, well done! :beer:

RockRunner
03-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Awesome Martin, this will serve you and others well in the future. Like Robbie said, hope you never have to use the extreme teachings.

Jacket
03-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Very cool Martin. Can you provide a snapshot of the type of skills and training you received?

MDH33
03-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys. I hope I don't have to use it also. I have been spending a lot time on trails the last few years and several times I have thought about what I would do if something happened and I was 10 miles into a backpacking trip or 50 miles out in the desert. I feel confident now that I could deal with the situation.

Here's a blurb about the class I took:

This is a nationally recognized program that trains participants to respond to emergencies in remote settings.

The 80-hour curriculum includes standards for urban and extended care situations. Special topics include but are not limited to: wound management and infection, realigning fractures and dislocations, improvised splinting techniques, patient monitoring and long term management problems, up-to-date information on all environmental emergencies, plus advice on drug therapies. Emphasis is placed on prevention and decision-making, not the memorization of lists.

This course is designed specifically to provide you with the tools to make critical medical and evacuation decisions in remote locations. Half of your time will be spent completing practical skills, case studies and scenarios designed to challenge your decision making abilities. Adult & Child CPR is included in this course.

The course also included search and rescue, mass casualty scenarios, transporting, backboarding, spinal injury assessment, diagnosing medical conditions such as Diabetes, heart and lung conditions and internal injuries including head injuries. There were also sections on poisons and animal inflicted wounds.

Rogue Leader
03-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Who did you take the course from? I wanted to take the WFR course offered by WMI up in lander.

MDH33
03-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Who did you take the course from? I wanted to take the WFR course offered by WMI up in lander.

I took the WMI NOLS course that was in Boulder. They are offered locally on a regular basis, so no need to travel unless you wanted to.

DaveInDenver
03-30-2009, 10:42 AM
That's great, well done Martin!

I take AED/CPR every year and WFA (wilderness first aid) every 3 years as a part of my volunteer bike patrol duties, but WFR has always been something that I would have liked to do. Just never enough time, money, blah, blah.

MDH33
03-30-2009, 10:45 AM
That's great, well done Martin!

I take AED/CPR every year and WFA (wilderness first aid) every 3 years as a part of my volunteer bike patrol duties, but WFR has always been something that I would have liked to do. Just never enough time, money, blah, blah.

Cool. :cool: Where do you do the volunteer bike patrols? Sounds like fun.

DaveInDenver
03-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Cool. :cool: Where do you do the volunteer bike patrols? Sounds like fun.
Been riding on the Front Range MTB Patrol for a few years. This is an IMBA-affiliated patrol for the Pike NF, South Platte District, just within the Buffalo Creek Rec Area. This was part of the agreement that cyclists came to with the USFS to keep Buffalo Creek open after the fire in 1996, that we would patrol the area to keep people on the trail and prevent erosion until the area could re-establish. I was also accepted onto the Jeffco Open Space bike patrol this year. This is a bigger commitment of time, but I do enough rides every year anyway that it won't be at all hard to meet 40 hours of annual patrol time...

corsair23
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Congrats Martin!

Very :cool:

:thumb:

subzali
03-30-2009, 03:29 PM
very nice martin! on my to-do list as well!

wesintl
03-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Congrats Martin!

farnhamstj
03-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Nice job Martin.

Rock Dog
03-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Congrats Martin :thumb::thumb: