PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 skid plate

maxsdad
03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
I know the heavy duty ones are around $295 plus shipping - looking for pros/cons or alternatives to the pricey one.

Thanks.

corsair23
03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Well...

A pro is it can save a lot of damage from happening underneath :) - A con is they are heavy. Since I so rarely wheel my 40 I'm not sure how valuable they are on a 40 as compared to say an 80?

Here is a pic of mine...Probably overkill but it came with the 40. PO said it was custom made to the tune of $400...who knows

Air Randy
03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
I went to Moab last week on the pre-run. After riding over the obstacles in other peoples rigs and listening to the interesting sounds coming out from other them as we teetered over obstacles, the first thing I did upon returing was order a HD skid plate. I have 35's and SOA lift. IMHO the shorter your tires the more you need a skid plate if you're going to wheel over the rocks. 40's are already hunks of iron, adding a few more pounds in the form of a skid plate isn't going to make things much worse.

Rzeppa
03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Well...

A pro is it can save a lot of damage from happening underneath :) - A con is they are heavy. Since I so rarely wheel my 40 I'm not sure how valuable they are on a 40 as compared to say an 80?

Here is a pic of mine...Probably overkill but it came with the 40. PO said it was custom made to the tune of $400...who knows

Oh my lord! Just learn to drive!

Hulk
03-31-2009, 10:52 PM
I like the Iron Pig skid plates (http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/armor/skidplates.shtml). But the stock FJ40 skid plate is not bad. I'd invest in sliders before a skid plate.

IMO, hd skid plates are more important for long wheel base vehicles than short.

Hulk
03-31-2009, 10:54 PM

Jeff, that thing kind of looks like a rock catcher to me, rather than something that would slide over obstacles. No offense intended.

Rzeppa
03-31-2009, 11:10 PM
I like the Iron Pig skid plates (http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/armor/skidplates.shtml). But the stock FJ40 skid plate is not bad. I'd invest in sliders before a skid plate.

IMO, hd skid plates are more important for long wheel base vehicles than short.

Agreed. The stock skid plate works fine, just pick your lines and watch the skinny pedal. You don't need sliders on a shorty 40, and if you really want the best of the best, there are none better than Lance's products from IPOR.

corsair23
04-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Jeff, that thing kind of looks like a rock catcher to me, rather than something that would slide over obstacles. No offense intended.

No offense taken :) - It was free with the 40 so how could I refuse? As for whether it will catch or slide, I guess I'd have to actually get the 40 off the road and test it to know :o - I'm pretty sure though that I could set the 40's weight on it and use the 40 as a teeter-totter with no worries :hill:

MDH33
04-01-2009, 08:43 AM
No offense taken :) - It was free with the 40 so how could I refuse? As for whether it will catch or slide, I guess I'd have to actually get the 40 off the road and test it to know :o - I'm pretty sure though that I could set the 40's weight on it and use the 40 as a teeter-totter with no worries :hill:

We'll get you out on the trail in your 40 this season Jeff! The 40's Only Run is in pre-planning as we speak. :thumb:

zornff
04-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Steve @ Moab 4x4 custom made mine while i waited, to the tune of $270.00. Its burly but not overkill, and with longer wheelbase it has been tested a bit. I'd talk to RLMS as they are close, and do nice work. I'll get a pic of mine to give you some idea's. PS, my stock one was beat up pretty good, and i wanted to use it as a slider if needed.

Mike

isotel
04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
dont Be afraid of the weight.. Its the Lowest and Most Centered part of the truck, so weight is less of a concern.. I under Built mine with 1/8th" steel and ive hammered it enough to the point that i need to rebuild it because its rubbing now on my Transmission pan.

DaveInDenver
04-01-2009, 03:52 PM
dont Be afraid of the weight.. Its the Lowest and Most Centered part of the truck, so weight is less of a concern.. I under Built mine with 1/8th" steel and ive hammered it enough to the point that i need to rebuild it because its rubbing now on my Transmission pan.
So true. I went with a 3/16" front skid and went cheap (I rationalized it was to save 15 lbs) with 0.120" for the belly pan. Rubithon made extremely quick work of the thin plate... All unsupported skid plates (if there is no structural frame behind it) I have come to believe must be 3/16".

isotel
04-01-2009, 05:56 PM
mine even had inner Support!
Live and Learn ;)
i should have Listened To Bustanutly
http://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/82718-build-up-rusty-mustard-post1969646.html#post1969646

Rezarf
04-01-2009, 06:15 PM
I have a 40 skid in the garage if you want it. Factory, needs a little hammering. Free to good home.

Drew