PDA

View Full Version : New Rig

LETSROLL
04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I sold my '66 Cutlass Convertible a few weeks ago so could get a new 80 I could trick out. I found one in Oregon and had it shipped. It arrived today! Doubtful if I will bring it to the meeting tonight, but I may drive it to CM09.

Yeahhhha!

LETSROLL

Hulk
04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Good lookin' Cruiser! Nice look with the FJ Cruiser wheels. :)

LETSROLL
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I've only driven it around the block so far, but right awy I can tell it feels like it has been lifted (due to the 17" FJ cruiser wheels).
132K miles on it. Interior is very clean.

Rezarf
04-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Nice score! I'd love to hear your process in selecting, buying and shipping a cruiesr cross country.

Shark Bait
04-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Nice color. Never thought about using FJ Cruiser wheels. Hmmm.... :):)

LETSROLL
04-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks Guys!

OK, first of all, lots of thanks has to go out to our friend pmccumber on Mud who wrote a Craigslist search tool utility: http://75.148.127.254/States.htm. (I think that's the right refeence). I used the heck out of that tool for weeks. it made the search so much easier.

I scoured the listings for a few weeks and knew what I was looking for. Bascially, it was the culmination of everyone's suggestions and input: low mileage (130K) Factory Lock Diff and a solid motor and detailed service records.

I got lucky with this Rig. I caught the seller on the day he posted the truck for sale. I've got experience working with customers over the phone so I was able to get a sense of the person by way of conversation. It's a small detail , but often overlooked. After all, its a person with likes, dislikes and ethics your'e dealing with. I got a good 'feeling' about them and I asked a lot of questions about the truck, the CarFax records and why they were selling. Ultimately, it came down to knowing what I wanted and having a good feeling about the seller. It helped that the seller who was in Oregon had a sister in Denver and so I felt comfortable it was a reputable person. Luckily, I didn't get burned. As a matter of fact this is the 4th car I've bought online with only pictures to guide me.

The truck isn't perfect, but based on the age and mileage, its above my expectations and a great platform for me to begin my first build out.

I'm looking forward to learing about Toyota trucks from RS members and sharing my experience. And of course joing the caravan of RS members on awesome trail rides.

Thanks again guys. See you at CM09 with the wife!

LETSROLL

Mendocino
04-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Nice rig, congratulations.:thumb:

Jenny Cruiser
04-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks Guys!

OK, first of all, lots of thanks has to go out to our friend pmccumber on Mud who wrote a Craigslist search tool utility: http://75.148.127.254/States.htm. (I think that's the right refeence). I used the heck out of that tool for weeks. it made the search so much easier.

LETSROLL

x2 to PMCC. Used his tool for the first time yesterday to find a car hauler. Very nice.

Congrats on the new Cruiser. Red is a great color. Is the interior tan or grey?:cheers:

Ron Helmuth
04-03-2009, 11:51 AM
good looking ride

that takes some cajones to buy online with no test drive or anything.

Clearly you have a good system worked out