PDA

View Full Version : Caster Shims, degree question (leafs)

Rezarf
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey guys I have a 4" spring lift on my 40.

I am swapping out all my front end hardware and installing new ubolts and skid plates on the front spring packs.

I need to get some new shims for the caster angle up front. I am degree clueless, any idea what to run? 2, 4, and 6 degrees are my choices from billet aluminum. Anyone know a source for steel shims?

Thanks in adavance!:thumb:

Drew

MDH33
04-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I got my steel shims custom made from 4 crawler.

Rezarf
04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Marin any more info on 4 crawler? maybe a link or something, thanks man!

Drew

MDH33
04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Here you go:

4 crawler (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml)

here's a link to a thread I started regarding this topic:

pinion angle and shims (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2387&highlight=pinion+angle)

:thumb:

Rezarf
04-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Killer, thanks Martin, good read.

Drew

leiniesred
04-02-2009, 02:22 PM
My steel shims are from 4Crawler too. Any angle you want. Weld them on the perches front/rear. That way, you can grind them back off again later when you cut and turn your axle or perches.

Cast aluminum shims have a funny habit of snapping in half and getting spit out of the pack. I've personally had it happen on a CJ7.

Red_Chili
04-02-2009, 02:25 PM
And I think Rezarf also had that happen IIRC. +1 on 4Crawler. And if you guess wrong on the degree, he will take them back and send you the right ones.

Friends don't let friends use aluminum shims. They save that for enemies.

rover67
04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
I have been runnign Al shims on mine for 2 years now... I keep telling myself I need to call up 4 Crawler...

MDH33
04-02-2009, 02:45 PM
The other nice thing about the 4 crawler shims is that he will custom cut them to match the desired angle, width, length and pin location of your perches and spring packs. I sent him dimensions and got exactly what I wanted. He sent me some longer pins too. I've had them a few years and no problems. My manual steering 40 with 34" swampers doesn't vibrate or wander. :thumb:

Rezarf
04-02-2009, 04:57 PM
The other nice thing about the 4 crawler shims is that he will custom cut them to match the desired angle, width, length and pin location of your perches and spring packs. I sent him dimensions and got exactly what I wanted. He sent me some longer pins too. I've had them a few years and no problems. My manual steering 40 with 34" swampers doesn't vibrate or wander. :thumb:

Martin what degree did you order. I gotta be honest, I read the article and though I understand it, I would prefer some more input before ordering.

6 degree shims seem like what I had before.

drew

Rezarf
04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I have been runnign Al shims on mine for 2 years now... I keep telling myself I need to call up 4 Crawler...

Marco- I'll have him throw another set in if you want to ship some in my order, that'll save you some coin.

Drew

MDH33
04-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Martin what degree did you order. I gotta be honest, I read the article and though I understand it, I would prefer some more input before ordering.

6 degree shims seem like what I had before.

drew

Drew, I used either 5 or 6 degree, I can't remember anymore. 4" lift springs and 1" longer shackles. I used one of those magnet angle finders to figure out the DS and pinion angles and then tried to get my pinions close to 0 or -1 degree.

rover67
04-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Marco- I'll have him throw another set in if you want to ship some in my order, that'll save you some coin.

Drew

That'd be cool! Let me measure them and I'll let ya know what they are. I *think* they are 6 degrees.

I too went more for my pinion angle than anything else... I could tip the axle back a little bit mor to go for more caster but I went more for the pinion angle.

as far as my pinion goes, I have it more or less pointed at the t-case (a few degrees down) and am running a double cardan front shaft. smooth as silk even at 70mph.

If you want I could cruise by sometime and help you noodle over it..