PDA

View Full Version : Turbo swap! Should or shouldn't?

Squishy!
04-03-2009, 02:01 PM
I found a guy selling his Turbo truck engine with tranny and t-case for 1200. The turbo is upgraded and seems to have some other decent goodies. The catch: engine is burning coolant bad. So is it worth the effort to swap the Turbo stuff onto my engine? I know the compression ratio is different, but at this altitude its not a big deal.

what do ya'll think?

Hulk
04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
You should do it. Just because. :D

DaveInDenver
04-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I'd be all over it if it's in the budget.

thefatkid
04-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Do it, it will almost feel like you have a worn out 3.4L.

Rezarf
04-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Turbo's are way :cool:

Engine's gotta' breathe right!

Drew

Jenny Cruiser
04-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I'd take a turbo over a supercharger anyday. :)

Red_Chili
04-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Do it, by all means.

Getting married with low debt and being able to afford a decent honeymoon is very highly overrated.

Ahem.

:lmao::beer:

DaveInDenver
04-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Do it, by all means.

Getting married with low debt and being able to afford a decent honeymoon is very highly overrated.

Ahem.

Oh sure, go all fatherly and play the responsibility card on him. Being a kid and actively being a screw-up was a major reason I was 5 years older than him when I got hitched. Me thinks he's got himself a keeper if he can even consider it. Or maybe he's just marrying his enabler...

Red_Chili
04-04-2009, 10:11 AM
LOL!

Nope. He is marrying a real doll.

And FWIW.... the only reason I go all fatherly on some things is because I want him to not repeat my mistakes, but to go out and make his own.

And that's all I want to say about THAT... :lmao: :cool: :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
04-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I'd take a turbo over a supercharger anyday. :)

Spoken like a true Boulevard Cruiser! :rolleyes::lmao:

Uncle Ben
04-04-2009, 10:39 AM
LOL!

Nope. He is marrying a real doll.

And FWIW.... the only reason I go all fatherly on some things is because I want him to not repeat my mistakes, but to go out and make his own.

And that's all I want to say about THAT... :lmao: :cool: :rolleyes:

Hmmmm....I didn't think you can marry those mail order blow up things! :eek: :lmao::lmao:

Ewwwww.... :(

rover67
04-04-2009, 12:27 PM
go turbo, it'll be fun.

AxleIke
04-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Personally I wouldn't. The turbo trucks are nice from the stand point that they actually can keep up in traffic. The boost gives you enough get up and go to pass people when needed, but little more.

I don't know what sort of turbo you would be putting on, but stay away from the stock set up. You'll have to port out the block to get oil flow, and the whole "turbo timer" thing gets to be a pain. You have to sit for 2 minutes while the thing spins down before you can shut it off or you toast the journal bearings in short order.

Also, you can try running with the high compression stuff, but I was told (back when I considered a swap) that it was a good way to a quick death for the top end. Better to swap in low compression stuff.

All in all, the stock turbo stuff wasn't nearly as much bang as I'd hoped. You'd really have better results with a bigger motor.

Uncle Ben
04-04-2009, 12:29 PM
go turbo, it'll be fun.

Lag adds challenge for sure! :rolleyes: Makes it feel like your running a 2 stroke under the hood! :lmao::lmao:

Jenny Cruiser
04-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Spoken like a true Boulevard Cruiser! :rolleyes::lmao:

What does a Suzuki cruiser have to do with turbos?:confused:

I'll take a little lag over another belt without hesitation. :cheers:

Uncle Ben
04-04-2009, 08:01 PM
What does a Suzuki cruiser have to do with turbos?:confused:

I'll take a little lag over another belt without hesitation. :cheers:

You can have it! ;)

rover67
04-04-2009, 08:45 PM
You know, I keep thinking I want to turbo or supercharge the 60..

I *think* turbo is what I want.

I guess if I think about it more, the truck really has enough power at low speeds (crawling) so the fact that I wouldn't get any power off idle dosen't really bother me. I really miss the power in 4th gear up at the higher elevations.. and a turbo would fix that. If you think your motor has enough power off idle and you just miss that pull then a turbo might be what you need.

The fact that a supercharger has the linear power would be nice if I didn't think the motor had enough grunt as it sat.. but it does. I just want that torque when i'm cruising and like the feel of cracking the throttle and getting torque back. I love the way turbos build boost with light throttle.

The reason I say go for it is because they came with turbos and a turbo in your truck would be not only cool, but fun. Now, if what Isacc says is true and they have issues, it may be worth staying away from.

Either way... if you do it, you'll spend some time setting it all up right... even if it is a stock setup.

Like UB says, turbo = 2 stroke... supercharger = what feels like a bigger engine. Idealy for a more crawler oriented truck with a smaller motor a supercharger would work best IMHO.. but if they came stock with turbos some of the work might be done...

wesintl
04-04-2009, 09:00 PM
and the whole "turbo timer" thing gets to be a pain. You have to sit for 2 minutes while the thing spins down before you can shut it off or you toast the journal bearings in short order.

I really doubt it...

AxleIke
04-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I really doubt it...

Why? We had to get another one for the turbo truck because of that.

Uncle Ben
04-05-2009, 07:14 AM

You can get an actual "turbo timer" that does the cool down for you. You simply shut off your key, lock up like normal and walk away. The timer will let the engine run for a while longer and cool down the turbo. There is also timed oil pumps that continue to circulate oil through the turbo for a couple minutes after shut down. Pretty rare to need these on gas engines as they are wastegated at lower vacuum levels than diesels. Diesels are more defendant on the turbos so the turbo is spun up most of the time.

DaveInDenver
04-05-2009, 07:39 AM
250 HP, 280 lb-ft from 2.4L

http://www.well.com/user/mosk/welcome.htm

http://www.well.com/user/mosk/Images/hood_open.jpg

Red_Chili
04-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Yep, Jeff is the king of 22R turbo setups.

Read all he has to say to figure out just how involved - and expensive - it is to get anywhere near that point. Think of getting all the basics (manifold, exhaust, etc.; you don't want the stock turbo, and that is just the beginning of the expense!) as a beginning point.

Kinda like putting a wastegate on your bank account.
:lmao:

Everything I read says that a blower on a 3.4 is pretty straightforward, and Gadget has debugged the right setup just like others have debugged a leaf spring SAS. It's easy now.

There ain't no easy, cheap basic equivalent with a turbo 22R. Unless you want to run 6 lbs. and just correct for altitude... but that is hardly worth the effort... and if I know you, you won't be able to leave it alone. I know *I* wouldn't be able to. And you are worse than *I* am in that regard! Or is it, better with skilz than I am?
Take yer pick!

Oh, and UB, if you met the lady you would be embarrassed at your joke... :p:

wesintl
04-05-2009, 08:08 AM

I have a journal bearing turbo. lack of oil yes. turbo timer, not needed imho.

Red_Chili
04-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Yah but you got a dweasel what ain't nuttin' like a 22RTE.

wesintl
04-05-2009, 08:38 AM
turbo is turbo. no difference. and fwiw I have a gasser turbo on a diesel. turbo timer is to prevent coking of the oil, some lubercation but IMHO if the turbo isn't spinning it really doesn't need lub. modern oil (and really oil from 20 years ago) doesn't really have a problem with coking. EGT's are pretty much the same unless you really jack up the boost on either.

rover67
04-05-2009, 06:10 PM
I have run several turbo cars without turbo timers, diesels and gassers..

If you take it easy on the last few minutes of your drive the turbo cools off enough.

AxleIke
04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I have no disagreement on the turbo timer aspect. More money and time, but yes, you can do it.

IMHO, its not worth it. The toy turbo stuff simply does not provide enough power to justify the effort, time, and money it takes to get it in on a NA engine.

You'll get a lot more power and "git up and go" from a 3.4 swap.

As I said, I love the turbo 4cyl's. If you've got one stock, I'm way jealous. To modify a 22re to fit the stock stuff is not worth it.

Minimal increase in power for the money.

Red_Chili
04-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I found a guy selling his Turbo truck engine with tranny and t-case for 1200. The turbo is upgraded and seems to have some other decent goodies. The catch: engine is burning coolant bad. So is it worth the effort to swap the Turbo stuff onto my engine? I know the compression ratio is different, but at this altitude its not a big deal.

what do ya'll think?

If yer gonna do it... I'd rebuild the turbo motor. Hopefully the head ain't cracked, that would make it not such a good deal. Like we talked about, that is a fair price including the tranny (assuming it is not long in the tooth) and tcase.

Ya still gotta think about starting a 401(k) or IRA though ma boy... NOW is a GREAT time to start buying equities for the long haul. You have the time horizon to retire a multimillionaire without a huge amount of pain (unless you procrastinate).

I know... boring...

Beater
04-06-2009, 06:58 AM
having watched this thread, it seems like a case of "turbo fear/knowledge itus" Oil cooled turbos are fine. Marco and I share a history of those, as well as Wes. The situation is very similar to owning an 80 and the situation with the front diff. Once you know the situation, you just try never to overload it by pulling / stressing backwards.

My last high hp highly tweeked oil cooled turbo ran at 21 psi, with no intercooler, and was driven on the street. a little idle down at shut down worked just fine. Even my spouse could remember it.

That being said, I think I would have to say that putting a turbo on a stock motor over one that came with one stock is a pain in the buttocks.. I almost did this with my 240. It would have been much better to find a parts 240 turbo and do the swap with a re-build.

I don't think you need to have more than 6~7 psi on the street on most motors, and I think Marco is dead on. 3500 rpm and above is what makes a turbo worth it.

Plus, there's the fuel efficiency issue. A turbo when sized correctly, will not effect mileage on the highway. If you know when your turbo spools, and stay below it, you will usually see an INCREASE in fuel efficiency.

AxleIke
04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
:rolleyes:

I never said the oil cooled turbo's weren't fine. Just more work.

I personally find the idling before shut down extremely annoying. Obviously, that is a personal issue.

Stock, the turbo isn't that impressive IMO. I never said that you couldn't modify it, but Squishy was talking about using stock 22re stuff, which said to me that he was on a budget. The stock stuff isn't going to produce big HP numbers.

If you go for it Justin, Best of luck to you! I'll certainly want to drool over it at a meeting sometime if you do.

wesintl
04-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm sure it can't hurt. The key is to know what the egt's are.

Back to the subject. I wouldn't buy it unless I needed all the ancillaries. Best thing to do would be to mod what you have with a garrett turbo. Parts are way more plentiful than the ct20 (or whatever it is) turbos that toyota uses on the mini. I guess that's somewhat relative working for toyota. Even so, way more customizable than the toyota route.

Squishy!
04-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't know what sort of turbo you would be putting on, but stay away from the stock set up. You'll have to port out the block to get oil flow

It's an upgraded turbo, and if you use a all-trac corolla oil cooler attachment, it just bolts between the block and the oil filter. prob solved.

Beater
04-07-2009, 06:45 AM
J-man -
IF you have all the pieces parts from this donor, and you have the skills, which I know you do, and the time, and the money, you need not rationalize it..

that being said, (dad voice on) you will get almost NO return on this investment imho. the more boring route, putting that cashola into something family prudent would be better.. (dad voice off)

damhik

Red_Chili
04-07-2009, 06:51 AM
+1, daMhik...