PDA

View Full Version : Oil in Air Cleaner

subzali
04-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I have tons of oil in my air cleaner housing (meaning there is standing oil in the back of the air cleaner housing) which appears to be coming from the tube off the valve cover (this is on my 2F). I checked my PCV (and it's new anyway) and it's working fine (I blew into it both ways) as long as it's supposed to allow crankcase vapors to travel UP, that's how it's installed.

any ideas?

MDH33
04-03-2009, 03:07 PM
If the PCV is new, then maybe the hose connecting it has a leak(?)
Also:
How is your compression? when did you do a valve adjust last?

subzali
04-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Martin, explain the connecting hose having a leak? I don't follow.

Compression is around 100 (it's on a thread somewhere) for all, valve adjustment was after my head rebuild a couple years ago, probably less than 10,000 miles ago.

Jenny Cruiser
04-03-2009, 05:23 PM
My Scout has a bunch of oil in the air cleaner too, but it's an oil bath filter/cleaner thingy.:hill:

wesintl
04-03-2009, 05:44 PM
is it milky or black?

thefatkid
04-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Generally that is a sign of excessive blow-by. You could check your compression and also do a cylinder leakdown test.

Do you see it venting when you remove the hose while it is running?

MDH33
04-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Compression is around 100 (it's on a thread somewhere) for all, valve adjustment was after my head rebuild a couple years ago, probably less than 10,000 miles ago.

If your hose to the PCV is leaking, there won't be enough vacuum on the PCV for it to operate properly. The crank case will vent via the path of least resistance, which could be through the valve cover into your air cleaner.

Uncle Ben
04-03-2009, 08:19 PM

Remove the oil fill cap while the engine is running. Is there a lot of vapor coming out? Does it affect your idle when you open the cap?

subzali
04-06-2009, 08:36 PM
If the PCV is new, then maybe the hose connecting it has a leak(?)
Also:
How is your compression? when did you do a valve adjust last?

Last time I checked (after the head rebuild)...around 100 psi, that was also when I did my last valve adjustment (with a re-adjustment after a few hundred miles)

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4387

PCV hose is good, but I replaced it anyway tonight just to be sure.

is it milky or black?

Well, it WAS black...

Generally that is a sign of excessive blow-by. You could check your compression and also do a cylinder leakdown test.

Do you see it venting when you remove the hose while it is running?

See above, and nope.

Remove the oil fill cap while the engine is running. Is there a lot of vapor coming out? Does it affect your idle when you open the cap?

No and no.

Found out I may have blown my head gasket though from putting on the power steering pump bracket (uses front two head bolts), but this problem predates that occurrence...

Rzeppa
04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, most often it is too much blow by. What I do is drive another 100k miles before I worry about it. And wipe up the oil in the air cleaner housing whenever I change the element. Shrug my shoulders and rationalize that it still runs fine and I have too many other projects to worry about.

How do the plugs look?