PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to thank Rising Sun...

Rezarf
04-04-2009, 03:51 PM
So last week was spring break. Stacy and I took a bunch of students and rented a "cabin" right at the trail head of Fall River Rd.

During the course of the 4 days we were there, I saw at least 5-10 trucks get stuck... mostly from poor judgement and poor preparation.

I heard one dude reving his motor about every 5-10 minutes (I could hear the drama from the cabin) and sure 'nuff after an hour or so, he comes up to the door all hot and mad about getting stuck.

So I grab a few fellas and head up the trail to see what's going on and this dude is in a BAD way, slid off to the side of the road, literally teetering on the edge with his girl and two kids still inside the rig. He had already snapped his winch line, and was in a very percarious position.

I had a few guys stack rocks, got the rest of the family out of the rig and really helped the dude acess the situation.

Here is what I found:

1. Street tires.
2. Snapped winch line.
3. No roller fairlead... cable failed because of the angle they tried pulling at.
4. Winch line was BIRD-NESTED!
5. Untangled the bird-nest only to find the dude had NOT fastened the cable inside the winch drum... yup, just coiled around the drum and not anchored in any way... scary.
6. One freyed and cut (in multiple places) tow strap.
7. No shackles.
8. No hi-lift.
9. No tools.

There wasn't anything I could do. With one good strap and a hi-lift we could have had him safe and out in 20-30 minutes. But with zero options that was it, I let him use our phone to call a friend who came out hours later.

We were able to feed the family, but 5 hours after they came to the door they were finally off the trail.

Anyhow, long story to say:

:risingsun:

I have learned how to be prepared, and safe through this club! In all reality I think I would totally be "that guy" who was just a bonehead, and no clue about responsible wheeling without RS!

Just wanted to let everyone know who has helped me along the way that I appreciate it dudes and dude-ette (you know who you are... IGE!):thumb:

Jenny Cruiser
04-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Everybody has to start somewhere. I'm sure this guy learned something from you. It's nice to be able to pass something along every now and then.:)

Uncle Ben
04-04-2009, 08:02 PM
:thumb::thumb::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::risingsun:

Hulk
04-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Good job. It's amazing what you learn, even when you think you don't know much.

subzali
04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
yep, I too am very thankful for being pushed to have the proper recovery equipment with me (straps, winch with good cable (thanks Robbie! ;) ), shackles, etc.) and the knowledge to safely extricate people (including myself at times :o)!

:risingsun:

nuclearlemon
04-06-2009, 01:18 PM
:thumb::cheers:

JadeRunner
04-06-2009, 03:34 PM
So I assume you didn't have your rig with a strap etc? How did his friend get his rig back up?

I have seen many situation like that when a rig is teetering on the side of the road. Winching his engine weight directly up was the only way out because strapping would roll the rig down (don't ask me how I know that).

rover67
04-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I too bumped into a similar situation last year.. Guy with his family in an old jeep that really was a heap.

Two little kids rolling around the back of it with his wife petrified in the passenger seat. We had to actually convince him to 'let everybody out of the truck while we worked to get it back on the trail. they were litterally about to roll the truck off the trail and we came along. Anyways, Mead (the Great Dane) provided entertainment for mom and kids, made them stop crying, and shifted focus from the boneheaded husband. Had to strap it to keep it from rolling then winch him back out and up onto the trail. It was kinda nuts what that dude had gotten his whole family into. They could have been seriously hurt..

Took some work but in an hour or so we had them on their way. It was tough because the clutch cable snapped.. he said it had been "about to break" for a while so i guess that made it OK.

Anyways, I probably would not have felt as comfortable out there had I not been wheeling with you folks over the past year.. thanks!

jettaglxdriver
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Holy cow. Glad to hear you were able to help the people out. I was driving my 60 home from work today (happily) and thinking of building my storage boxes on each side in the back (one will hold a sub also) and gearing my truck out. I cannot wait. First I have some other bills to pay, a windshield to replace, and I have to get a proper lift on it. The Ghetto shackles drive me nuts every time I think about it.