PDA

View Full Version : Shock advice

Mendocino
04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I finally got my 40:
*rear springs flipped;
*axillary tank cut, welded and modified to clear the differential that is now 3.5 inches to the rear;
*relocated bumpstops aft so they actually functioned with the new axle position;
*Boxed the frame in the rear where the new cross member is going
*made a new 2" x 1/4" wall cross member to locate the upper shock mounts, welded it in;
*turned new studs on a lathe and threaded them for the upper mounts, welded them into the cross member
*welded the cross member in place (upside down and off handed with my eyes closed [seriously:eek:])

Now I need to get some proper shocks for the rear. I had a set of Rancho RS9012s on the rear. Stud to stud with the new x-member is 22.5". That shock collapsed is 19" so I think I need something with a bit more travel.

So, where should I go to see about buying some Rancho shocks? I would change brands but I have the in cab air adjustment and like that. I would like to deal with someone that might give me a club discount and knows what they are talking about. Suggestions?:confused:

BTW-I know I need pictures. I have some and will post later.:)

Red_Chili
04-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Is there a longer Rancho shock than the 99012s?

Mendocino
04-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Is there a longer Rancho shock than the 99012s?

I was not clear. I think the 9012 has about as much travel as any Rancho shock. The issue is that that shock has a collapsed length of 19" and my "at rest" stud to stud distance is 22.5"; so I only have 3.5" of compression. This seems very short to me. I would assume I need at least another inch. Am I wrong?:confused:

Air Randy
04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
You need to measure it at rest and then jack it up by the bumper or frame with the tires on it and measure it again with the suspension at full droop.

Normally you try to get a shock that is about 1" longer than the eye to eye measurement at full droop so the shocks don't limit the down travel.

Next, with the suspension at rest on the ground, measure the distance between the top of your leaf springs and the bottom of the bump stop on the frame. The bump stop usually wont compress more than a 1/2" so if you take this gap measurement and add 1" to it that should give you an idea of how much top travel the shock needs.

3.5 to 4 inches of travel on a stock suspension isn't unusual. Sometimes, in order to get maximum suspension droop (which usually gives you the best traction) you may have to compromise on the amount of upward travel you have. If, for example, you have a 5" gap between the springs and the bump stop but only 3.5 inches of shock travel, you can get a bump stop extender that will lower the stop so you don't over compress the shocks.

nakman
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Nice progress, Jeff! Can you drive the 40 now? If so there's "ramp" behind Auto Zone in Lafayette, works pretty good on Sundays to test travel. shown here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=27416&postcount=38 :)

Mendocino
04-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Nice progress, Jeff! Can you drive the 40 now? If so there's "ramp" behind Auto Zone in Lafayette, works pretty good on Sundays to test travel. shown here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=27416&postcount=38 :)

Cool. It should be driving on Sunday. I can use the ramp, that is what I really wanted to do but did not know where there was a ramp locally. Joe at Slee said I could use theirs.

MtnTrucker: The axle to bumpstop is 8." I was planning on fab'n up some bump stop extensions as this is excessive. I had to relocate the bumpstops when I did the spring flip.

Air Randy
04-07-2009, 01:25 PM
How long are you planning your extensions to be? I have some brand new 4" (I'll confirm that if you're interested) ones I can make you a good deal on.

Air Randy
04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
I confirmed the pair I have are 4" same as in the center of this picture. They're $40 a pair new, you can have these for $20. If you need something shorter than 4" we can cut them down on the chop saw to whatever length you need.

Mendocino
04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
How long are you planning your extensions to be? I have some brand new 4" (I'll confirm that if you're interested) ones I can make you a good deal on.

Hmm. I was just going to make them. I won't know what the right length is until I get it on the ramp. Can you measure them anyway and tell me what you want for them?:)

Air Randy
04-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Did you see my response, which included a picture, which ended up above yours? They must have crossed in the ether. $20 for the extensions if you want them.

Mendocino
04-09-2009, 10:43 AM
I missed your response. I'll take them. I'll have to figure out how to get them. Coming to the North Side any time soon? PM me please.:)

Beater
04-09-2009, 11:07 AM
99014's are 14" eye to eye