PDA

View Full Version : Welding sleeve in frame

subzali
04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Trying to figure out what material is compatible with the frame of my FJ40 for welding.

A-36 plate?

For welding a sleeve for a bolt through the frame, does A-53 pipe work ok? I haven't had a chance yet to look up the chemical properties of A-53, but know some of you welders out there might have a good idea.

Or would it have to be a little more fancy like A-106 pipe?

Uncle Ben
04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Round pipe works really well! :lol:

wesintl
04-07-2009, 10:46 AM
just don't use pvc :hill:

Red_Chili
04-07-2009, 10:54 AM
He really IS an engineer, ain't he?
:hill:

Beater
04-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I would have to get out my spec sheets, which are at home....

astm 53 should be fine. Stay low on the carbon count.

j

Air Randy
04-07-2009, 12:33 PM
What size bolt are you wanting to put through the frame and why are you sleeving it? I have some chunks of DOM heavy wall tube that I know are compatible but they are probably 1" ID

treerootCO
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
1964 chassis manual has the specs for frame repair. You have to back to a time when insurance companies would repair damage instead of totaling the vehicle.

subzali
04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Root, I might have to swing by and check that out if you have it.

Rezarf
04-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Steel, yup, steel.

Uh, not rusty steel, sorry, I should have clarified. ;)

Uncle Ben
04-08-2009, 10:04 AM
So whats next? I'm guessing choosing a black paint that has the perfect adhesion properties and wont attack the special alloys in the high tech schedule 40 black pipe? Lets see....finding the perfect steel tube - 3 months......finding the perfect welding wire and heat setting - 1 month.....getting information back from paint manufacturer - 1 month......spraying paint at perfect distance to promote good coverage and proper per manufacturer spec curing- 1 month.....deciding that using hot rolled steel shackles defeats the purpose of using perfect steel tube then seeking out super special alloy to build new shackles - 6 months.... beginning assembly of perfect front suspension - 2 months.....discovering the rear has rusted bad un-noticed as front was being done then repeating process on the rear - (Beeeeeep) we interrupt this regularly scheduled man project.....baby expected!.....sell perfect project in pieces for a couple hundred bucks and get mini van......

Jacket
04-08-2009, 10:09 AM
^ :lmao::lmao: You Ok Kevin?

subzali
04-08-2009, 10:50 AM
:confuse2:

The only reason i'm asking is because I don't know really anything about welding and wanted to make sure I don't get jumped for using an incompatible tube material for my frame.

sigh...guess I never win and have to get jumped for something...

DaveInDenver
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM

The only reason i'm asking is because I don't know really anything about welding and wanted to make sure I don't get jumped for using an incompatible tube material for my frame.

Well, it's a question I would have asked, so take that FWIW. Nothing wrong with being thorough IMO. People think we're dorks, but you know as well as anyone that there is a difference between something that is engineered and something that is not. I guess that's where experience kicks in, when to thumbnail it and when to pull out the slide rule.

:-)

But I have to mention in full disclosure that I really didn't give it much thought when Bill welded on the sliders...

Red_Chili
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Matt, you have to make peace with the fact that jumping on someone around here is as close to love as you'll get! We love ya man....

But I am reminded of a saying. "There comes a time in the life of every project when you must shoot the engineers and begin production."

:blah: :blah: :blah: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Uncle Ben
04-08-2009, 11:06 AM

Matt, Don't take it personally! You have been highly trained to think that way! You posses knowledge that the rest of us country bumkins will never even know was out there! Thinking back 35+ years ago when I was first destroying my first project car I would never have asked a question like that but should have as it might have saved me lots of money is failed projects! My post was in fun totally and I was not beating you down for wanting to do it right! Cruisers are not rocket science but actually closer to lawn tractor technology so get dirty and learn! :thumb::thumb:

AxleIke
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
LOL Matt, I wish I had your training! The guys are just giving you a hard time...Its because they love you!

If I had the level of detail you had, my truck would probably be less of an ongoing disasterpiece and more of a masterpiece.

Air Randy
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Matt, you have to make peace with the fact that jumping on someone around here is as close to love as you'll get! We love ya man....

But I am reminded of a saying. "There comes a time in the life of every project when you must shoot the engineers and begin production."

:blah: :blah: :blah: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

X2 LMAO :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

subzali
04-08-2009, 03:31 PM
yeah, this project is already late, but I'm seriously going to pull the trigger by forcing myself to park it and by ripping the steering out!

sorry, I guess I have just lost a little bit of my sense of humor with some of the things that have been hanging over my head lately...

It needs to stop snowing so I can ride my bike and clear my head a bit...getting fuzzy with all this working for a living business...

isotel
04-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Keep your Spirits up! you can get her done!

If its just a sleeve for PS through the frame don't worry too much about what type of steel it is, its only purpose is to not collapse the frame.

Rzeppa
04-09-2009, 06:02 PM
As has been mentioned, (relatively) low carbon is what you want, such as A36. However, in the real world, you seldom get much choice when you just want a several foot chunk for your project, and in the real world, that chunk of tubing will work just fine on your old Land Cruiser and will weld up just fine.

If you (or I) were engineering a production model for mass production and we were going to be sourcing a couple hundred thousand feet of it, that would be another story.

From one engineering nerd to another :-)