PDA

View Full Version : Winch & such training for CM 09

powderpig
04-07-2009, 02:20 PM
With time short and no trail teams giving and training talk at CM. I will hold a training day at my house on the 19th of April. Say 10 am to when ever.
For all of the trail leaders for this year, if they choose, can come and play at my house and the surrounding area. We can talk about winching, spotting, Highlifts, anchors, Watch movies.
While I can accomdate a bunch of people, I would like to extend this to CM Leaders and gunners. After CM I will host a similar couple of days this year for any one that wants to come.
Any how post up if you want to come or send a PM.
I have a BBQ and we can throw on some meat o what ever you want to bring(veggie burgers anyone).
I am sure I can have some things here if I know how many are coming.
Bring you gloves and hardware you want to use.
But most of all bring your thinking caps.
:cheers::D

Crash
04-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Just ordered a thinking cap from BigHeadCaps.com and I hope it gets here before 4/19! I'll be there if it is at all possible, Robbie, and thanks for the opportunity to try the new cap out. Bigheadcaps.com is the place to buy headgear for the cranially endowed.

Red_Chili
04-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I will try to be there, I usually have Sunday commitments though.

timmbuck2
04-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I am planning on coming. Have this new winch I need to figure out. :)

Red_Chili
04-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Not to mention the adhesive tires.

rover67
04-07-2009, 08:29 PM
i'd love to make it, but will be out of town.

Hants
04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks, Robbie!

I'm planning to come up. :beer:

Jacket
04-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Are trail leaders and gunners already determined? I guess I figured the leaders are fairly well known, but not sure about gunners...

Hulk
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
If you want to volunteer to be a gunner, you should ping Cheeseman ASAP. He's just about done with the trail assignments.

Jacket
04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I thought I had.... Doesn't make a difference to me either way, just trying to help fill a need if there is one.

powderpig
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I will post my address on the Members site and directions.

Rock Dog
04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I helped with the trail assignments the other night and there were a couple of spots that needed filling...
For example, want to lead porcupine Rim? then give Cheeseman a call...

Neil.

Are trail leaders and gunners already determined? I guess I figured the leaders are fairly well known, but not sure about gunners...

JadeRunner
04-15-2009, 01:11 PM
I plan on coming. Sounds like fun. I'll bring some burgers for the grill.

powderpig
04-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Well it looks like there will be about 8-9 folks coming up on Sunday. It looks to be a fine time to come up in the hills. We will more than likely still have snow. So apporite clothing would be a good thing. Ken said for me to buy food and such for this. So I will be getting some Bratts and burgers and buns and a few other things. I have good well water, we do usually do not do Soda's (not that good for your health, beer is better). We will not be drinking while we are handleing any trucks, but pick your choice for the end of the day if you choose.
Some poor sucker left a Ford truck up here(long story), and if it is still here(which I think it will be). We may be able to use it for some creative thinking problems(but can not hurt it too bad).
Anyhow I am looking forward to this and hope to have a fun learning experience and exchange of ideas.
I did post my address and directions in the members sections.
Best regards, Robbie
Later Robbie

Uncle Ben
04-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Update:

Just got a text from Robbie. Winch training is canceled for tomorrow. Robbie has been without power and internet since last night, the plows are still trying to open the roads up there and it sounds like he has his hands full. I will post up if I hear anything different or I'm sure once Robbie has internet again he will be posting up. Sorry for the bad news! :(

Crash
04-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Update:

Just got a text from Robbie. Winch training is canceled for tomorrow. Robbie has been without power and internet since last night, the plows are still trying to open the roads up there and it sounds like he has his hands full. I will post up if I hear anything different or I'm sure once Robbie has internet again he will be posting up. Sorry for the bad news! :(

Thanks for the heads up UB.

Uncle Ben
04-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up UB.

You are very welcome! I might add that Robbie is bummed! :(

Hants
04-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the news.

Hope they get Robbie back online tomorrow!

Gmann
04-19-2009, 02:07 AM
I am planning on coming. Have this new winch I need to figure out. :)
Its not to hard to figure out a winch. See you in the morning. :cheers:

Gmann
04-19-2009, 02:15 AM
I guess I will not see you all in a few hours. Thats to bad. Maybe we can reschedule for some time after CM. I know we could use a good solid wall to bounce winching scenarios and ideas off.

JadeRunner
04-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Darn I was getting ready to leave and hoping to get into some snow up there.

Uncle Ben
04-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Go up there anyway....sounds like there is plenty of snow and people stuck or stranded you can practice on! ;)

powderpig
04-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Up I was bummed and played down the storm a bit in one of my previous posts. It snow well over 3 ft and we had settled on the ground 2 ft 10". Rollinsville had a woping 54 inch of snow. Wonder how Art Hog is doing. With the snow plow broken in the begining of the storm or road was not plowed until most of the snow had fallen. Which made it a bunch harder to get down to dirt(never really did) When I was helping plow, he almost rand out of fuel. He was not quite prepared for this storm and had wished he had reparied his winch after it broke 2 storms ago.
I never really thought we would get hammered as bad as we did up here this late in the year.
Any way, we will do some type of training this summer either as a day run or maybe a over night run up in the hills near Rollinsville area(some good close camping up there).
Later Robbie

Rezarf
04-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Looking forward to it Robbie, now I just gotta' get my winch a workin' again.

Drew

Air Randy
04-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Looking forward to it Robbie, now I just gotta' get my winch a workin' again.

Drew

You know, you've had multiple offers of help from folks who can fix your winch..............I think you like having it broken so you have something to talk about................................:rolleyes:

Jacket
04-21-2009, 10:01 AM
He's fittin' to be a first-time dad. Cut the guy some slack :rolleyes:

corsair23
04-21-2009, 12:39 PM
You know, you've had multiple offers of help from folks who can fix your winch..............I think you like having it broken so you have something to talk about................................:rolleyes:

He's fittin' to be a first-time dad. Cut the guy some slack :rolleyes:

Randy,

You can direct that towards me :D - I deserve it....Drew has actually attempted to fix his winch to some degree and right now I imagine he is plenty busy with more important things...

All I've done to my winch is take off the rope, buy a new controller, look at the stupid thing with disgust, and contemplate just buying a new or newer winch :o

Air Randy
04-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm just yankin' his chain guys, don't take it too serious.

You know, we have wheel bearing packing parties and such, we should have a winch fixing/servicing party too. We can fix the broken ones, grease the service points, change gear oil, install new ropes, etc. These things really aren't much more than a starter motor with a gear case and 4 relays. I've fixed a bunch of them so I know they can't be too difficult:hill:

I would volunteer to have it at my shop or will travel to another location to participate.

I want to make sure you guys all have working units so you can winch me out when I get stuck:thumb:

corsair23
04-21-2009, 02:09 PM
You know, we have wheel bearing packing parties and such, we should have a winch fixing/servicing party too. We can fix the broken ones, grease the service points, change gear oil, install new ropes, etc. These things really aren't much more than a starter motor with a gear case and 4 relays. I've fixed a bunch of them so I know they can't be too difficult:hill:

I would volunteer to have it at my shop or will travel to another location to participate.

Sounds like an EXCELLENT idea :thumb:

Maybe combine it with the winch training...Should be plenty of people that we can have some working on servicing their winches while others are learing to use theirs and then switch :)

Hants
04-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Sounds like an EXCELLENT idea :thumb:

Maybe combine it with the winch training...Should be plenty of people that we can have some working on servicing their winches while others are learing to use theirs and then switch :)

Like what he said.... :thumb:

Excellent idea!

Air Randy
04-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Ricardo,

Job opportunity......................:thumb:

timmbuck2
04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
awesome idea...I would love to know more about how they work AND how to work them :)