PDA

View Full Version : Ham & eggs run, Saturday April 18th

nakman
04-08-2009, 09:44 PM
As promised, I will be leading the inaugural Rising Sun Ham & Eggs run. This will be a fun social run that is aimed at introducing you to the finer points of communication devices, mainly CB and Ham radio. Experts will be on hand to lend advice, tune setups, help program radios, and answer questions.

If you are a seasoned expert at all things electronics, this is definitely the run for you.

If you are a recently licensed Ham, with a fairly new to you setup in your truck, this is definitely the run for you.

If you still think CB is as good as you ever need, but keep hearing about these Ham things and want to see what all the hubbub is about, yes this is absolutely the run for you.

And if you just want to hang out and chow breakfast with some like minded individuals and just talk about tires, then you bet, this is for you too.

Everyone should bring all your radio gear, SWR meters, manuals, laptop interfaces (if you want), other random electronic devices, plenty of water to drink, and great attitudes.

Logistics:

Meet at 08:00 in the Matthews & Winters parking lot. This is just north of the "geocut" at the intersection of Morrison Road and I-70, but a few feet down the hill towards Morrison. We'll meet here to try to avoid some of the skier carpool traffic.

From there we will drive up to Genesse area, to the park that's up above the Chart House. If it's too crowded, closed, on fire, etc., then the alternate location will be Dedisse park near Evergreen Lake.

the first order of business will be a potluck breakfast- time to show off your grill and griddle skills, your on board blenders, waffle irons, etc. This will be the "eggs" portion of the event (get it?) Also the time to get acquainted with some of your other club members, or meet some folks if you're new. Bring food for yourself & passengers, something to share, also camping chairs, maybe some games for your kids & dogs, etc.

Breakfast should wrap up by 9:30 or so, then it's time to tear into the tech talk, thus beginning the "ham" portion of the event. Get your SWR checked by others, learn how to program in a repeater tone, check out each other's rigs. Swap antennas. See what an HT is like to operate. Really, the agenda is all based on the participants and whatever comes up.

After a lot of yakking, we'll attempt to participate in three planned nets:

10:00 will be the first "net" event of the day, and we'll start off easy on the Rising Sun's adopted 2 meter simplex channel 146.460. If you are unable to make this run, but will be near a 2m radio, please monitor and do your best to talk to the group.

10:30 will be the first repeater net of the day. We'll start out on the 147.225 repeater, but if that's busy we'll switch over to 146.805. If words like shift, offset, and CTCSS tone sound foreign to you, then this will be a great time for you to program your radio and learn exactly what those are.

11:00 will be the final repeater net of the day, and will be on the Colorado Connection linked repeater network. From Evergreen we'll be hitting the 145.310 repeater, and will hope to make contact with members in other parts of the state, specifically the 147.345 repeater in Vail, and 145.130 repeater in Colorado Springs, and hopefully one of the repeaters on the western slope.

Repeater etiquette, and good operating practices will remain a focus throughout the day, so running into other stations will be good learning opportunities.

and that's it, you can be home by lunch time, or maybe you'll want to hook up with someone and head for the hills, maybe even do some wheeling later.

Two final comments about radios in trucks in general:

1. Having an inferior radio setup, be it CB or Ham, like one that feeds back, doesn't transmit, or doesn't work for some reason is just plain lame. Here's a great chance to bring yours out and have some local experts help you get yours dialed in. And what better time than before wheeling season, and particularly before Cruise Moab, to do this. Don't be that guy on the trail with the crappy radio...

2. Ham radio really isn't all that hard, and its operators aren't all geeky. Well, some of us are maybe :rolleyes: but by now most of the active members of Rising Sun are licensed hams... if you're still holding out, well you're in the minority now. It really is that much better, it actually does live up to the hype, so if you're curious come check it out! and bring bacon :drool:

MDH33
04-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Right now my plan is to be heading to SE Utah that day with Kim, her sister and brother-in-law. I hope to have my HAM installed by then, so I'll definitely be monitoring as I travel Southwest. :thumb:

Mendocino
04-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Cool! If I get the junk together I will be there with at least +1. I also got an early Father's Day present (rear seat) and if that gets installed (dit dit dit da da da dit dit dit) there will be more...

fubuki
04-09-2009, 07:03 AM
I will definitely be there. I have zero ham experience, but I'm eager to learn. This will be my first club event as well.

Karst8835
04-09-2009, 07:48 AM
I'll try to be there.

nuclearlemon
04-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I want to try to make it.

DaveInDenver
04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm planning on coming along.

Will have a couple of SWR meters (one handles about 10W on HF for CB and the other up to 300W on 2m, 70cm and HF), a DMM, some coax tools, etc. My butane soldering iron is non-operational, though, so we'd have to use crimp type PL-259 connectors for repairs. :-(

We will have OJ, coffee and a 3 burner stove with a cast iron griddle and plan to make pancakes.

wesintl
04-09-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't know if i can come or not. I need to put the used lift on the 80 and rebuild the knuckles and this weekend is shot with easter.

If I don't come up i'll be a contact for the group. Or maybe i'll come up for breakfast then come back to contact and work.

Hants
04-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm begging for a hall pass. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it.

nakman
04-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I think I'm going to try to bake cinnamon rolls in the engine. I've thought about it before, just haven't tried it yet, but I think it'll work... Gavin & I like 'em medium rare anyway. :hill:

Great to see so many interested, this is going to be a ton of fun. :risingsun

MDH33
04-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Last time I went by Dedisse Park it looked like they still the gates up for winter. I'll check again the next time I drive by and let you know what I find.

Convert
04-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Hummm I better get the new radio off the desk and into the cruiser. I should be there

Vitesse_6
04-09-2009, 09:37 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l243/Vitesse_6/sadbanana.gif A day late and some cured meat short...

RedCreeper
04-10-2009, 01:43 PM
I see this is for HAMs and thought i read that we could bring the CBs for a tune up and lesson. Is this for HAMs only? I need to get my CB tuned and thought this might be good to learn how to do it right. If so i might be able to make it. Thanks.

Kenny

nakman
04-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I see this is for HAMs and thought i read that we could bring the CBs for a tune up and lesson. Is this for HAMs only? I need to get my CB tuned and thought this might be good to learn how to do it right. If so i might be able to make it. Thanks.

Kenny

Absolutely, Dave posted up earlier that he'll have an SWR meter for CB, plus the same principles of clean wiring, antennas, ground planes, etc. apply to both. Come on out, Kenny! :yagi:

Mendocino
04-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Kenny

This is a great opportunity to get your CB tuned but be forewared: you may end up wanting to get licensed and get a HAM foryour rig...:)

RedCreeper
04-10-2009, 05:14 PM
This is a great opportunity to get your CB tuned but be forewared: you may end up wanting to get licensed and get a HAM foryour rig...:)

Yeah been thinking about it but the HAM class was a long ride for me and did not have the time. Also not ready to put a HAM in the daily driver. Maybe when i get the J___ up and going or if i can get some cash saved up for a Toy Toy i will. I will see whats going on and try to make it gang. thanks.

Rzeppa
04-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Last time I went by Dedisse Park it looked like they still the gates up for winter. I'll check again the next time I drive by and let you know what I find.

Wow. I have lived up here for 29 years and do not ever recall Dedisse being gated off, but I probably wasn't paying attention. I know O'Fallon has been mostly gated off this winter though. I'll be going by Dedisse tomorrow, I'll swivel a look.

MDH33
04-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow. I have lived up here for 29 years and do not ever recall Dedisse being gated off, but I probably wasn't paying attention. I know O'Fallon has been mostly gated off this winter though. I'll be going by Dedisse tomorrow, I'll swivel a look.

Yup. It's a Denver Mtn Park. Seriously underfunded. They close the gates when the snow flies if there are roads would need upkeep, but you can still park outside and hike in. :)

jacdaw
04-11-2009, 11:18 PM
My favorite desert trail food is manifold tamales. Mmmmm. I like how you think. I'm really looking forward to this run.

I think I'm going to try to bake cinnamon rolls in the engine. I've thought about it before, just haven't tried it yet, but I think it'll work... Gavin & I like 'em medium rare anyway. :hill:

Great to see so many interested, this is going to be a ton of fun. :risingsun

Gmann
04-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm planning on it. Need to figure out my DTS and auto load repeater tone. I got ctcss set but it would be nice if someone could make sense of my manual so my 1802 can recognize the repeater tone itself.

Red_Chili
04-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Can't make it. Dang it... well sort of - Squishy is treating us to a Breckenridge weekend as just a really nice thing to do for the grumpy parents! I will see if there is secure parking for the Chili and see if I can get a hall pass for a ham moment around that time.

DaveInDenver
04-13-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm planning on it. Need to figure out my DTS and auto load repeater tone. I got ctcss set but it would be nice if someone could make sense of my manual so my 1802 can recognize the repeater tone itself.
Very few of our repeaters send a tone. The CTCSS is something your radio includes on the signal so that the repeater recognizes your transmission is a valid one and not interference or noise. The repeater when it re-transmits your signal will strip that tone off and people on the receiving side will not hear it. A few repeaters will include the tone (same or different than input, doesn't matter) as a convenience to you so that you can reduce the amount of static and noise you hear. But it's optional and not setting a receive tone will not keep you from hearing the repeater.

This is exactly the sort of thing Nakman intends to talk about, so be sure to come along. You can talk about it until you are blue in the face on the Internets, but 5 minutes with a radio in real life will make it soooooo much clearer.

nakman
04-13-2009, 10:38 AM
To be clear, this is one of the things I'll be asking Dave or Groucho to talk about... :)

And Bill, if you had an HT you could talk to us on through the Breck repeater over the Colorado Connection, probably from the chairlift.

wesintl
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Which repeater are you trying to set? The 145.145 is a 107.2

Hit the MHZ for a second then change to sql type(49) and set it to tone.

Then set the tone freq TN Freq(52) to 107.2

then you should be able to broadcast on 145.145

The one thing I don't like is that you can't save the repeater(freq) to know to use the 107.2 if you have it saved as a programed channel. You need to flip back and forth for tones when using different repeaters. It seems to be a global setting and that sucks balls. They only redeeming thing is once you know the process it's pretty quick.

jacdaw
04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
I've never had a Yaesu radio that set the PL tone globally for memory operation. I do not have an 1802. Here is the manual (http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=1613&FileCatID=150&FileName=FT%2D1802M%5FMANUAL.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf).

If you tune the VFO to your desired rf freq, set the tone freq, set the tone mode, set the repeater shift, and then save, the memory should contain those settings until you delete that memory slot. Each memory should be able to save individual settings.

Which repeater are you trying to set? The 145.145 is a 107.2

Hit the MHZ for a second then change to sql type(49) and set it to tone.

Then set the tone freq TN Freq(52) to 107.2

then you should be able to broadcast on 145.145

The one thing I don't like is that you can't save the repeater(freq) to know to use the 107.2 if you have it saved as a programed channel. You need to flip back and forth for tones when using different repeaters. It seems to be a global setting and that sucks balls. They only redeeming thing is once you know the process it's pretty quick.

fubuki
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but since this will be my first RS event I'm a bit in the dark. As for the breakfast is it each for his own or should I just bring some stuff for everyone? I'm coming alone and I don't have a portable grill, so I was planning on bringing food assuming someone else would have a grill. I've got a few chairs and a portable table I planned on bringing as well.

nakman
04-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Hey man no bad questions.. and usually the best answer is just bring what you want and plan to share, and it always has a way of working itself out. Yes there will likely be other portable grills and stoves there, if you'd have fun cooking everyone eggs benedict or biscuits & gravy then great bring it out... OTOH a pack of donuts would also be appropriate, and require much less work and cleanup!

fubuki
04-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Hey man no bad questions.. and usually the best answer is just bring what you want and plan to share, and it always has a way of working itself out. Yes there will likely be other portable grills and stoves there, if you'd have fun cooking everyone eggs benedict or biscuits & gravy then great bring it out... OTOH a pack of donuts would also be appropriate, and require much less work and cleanup!

Good call on the donuts. I can handle that. I'll also bring some plates, napkins, etc.

wesintl
04-13-2009, 05:41 PM
I've never had a Yaesu radio that set the PL tone globally for memory operation. I do not have an 1802. Here is the manual (http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=1613&FileCatID=150&FileName=FT%2D1802M%5FMANUAL.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf).

If you tune the VFO to your desired rf freq, set the tone freq, set the tone mode, set the repeater shift, and then save, the memory should contain those settings until you delete that memory slot. Each memory should be able to save individual settings.

You're right. My memory is what sucks. :o

My VFO mode and channels are all set up and run right. What I was thinking is in non vfo mode you have to change the tone if your flipping around. IMHO it should remember the what you have as vfo settings. Kinda like a regular radio.. if your hitting scan and you come up to a programed channel it will still say channel 1 knowing it's a preset.

Rzeppa
04-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Well, I spaced out driving by there yesterday and took my normal route down Meadow Drive. My bad!

wesintl
04-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Tim, Do you have a place with a big pavilion? Weather forecast looks nasty but we all know how that goes.

nakman
04-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah I saw that... I've got a couple blue pavillions in the 80 that we can string up between vehicles... :hill:

I can't remember if there is one up there or not though. There's one down at Dedisse but still unclear on if it's open or not. But I'm not too worried, I think if anything it'll just be a little drizzly, so bring a jacket and we should be fine.

Convert
04-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Probably wont be able to make it seems I have caught the high nox disease and will be doing the 35" tire to 33" tire swapping thing again. A dose of new duel cats at Buds should clear up this infection. I will monitor and and participate in the nets if I can

MDH33
04-14-2009, 08:17 PM
So, Kim gave me the ok :thumb: to get a radio , so I headed over to HRO today and picked up an FT-8800R, an antenna and a mount. I installed it this afternoon and I'm ready to get on the air but I'm clueless about the repeaters.

As in, what does this mean I have to manually set on my radio before I transmit?

This is greek to me:
145.460MHz, -0.600, W0CRA/R, Lee Hill, CTCSS=107.2
147.225MHz, +0.600, W0CRA/R, Conifer Mtn, CTCSS=107.2

I might have to postpone my Utah departure so that I can attend the Ham & Eggs run... :o where to start?

nakman
04-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Sweet! Sorry it means a delay, but glad to have you on the run Martin! All you do is select which side you're on, then dial in that frequency, then press that center button then move to function #38 or so.. I think that's the tone one. They're all in there together though, one is the offset, the next is the tone, and the next one decides ENC or END DEC or DEC or nothing. The first time it will take you 10 minutes with the book in your lap, but you'll get much faster.

Then again, if you can convince Dave to just bring his laptop, you can just sit back and watch the upload.... :)

wesintl
04-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Frequency, offset, tone. Congrats Martin. That's a sweet Radio. Are you putting it in the 40 or 60?

DaveInDenver
04-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Then again, if you can convince Dave to just bring his laptop, you can just sit back and watch the upload.... :)
I should have it, which means VX-7R and FT-8800R programming.

Uncle Ben
04-15-2009, 07:23 AM
So, Kim gave me the ok :thumb: to get a radio , so I headed over to HRO today and picked up an FT-8800R, an antenna and a mount. I installed it this afternoon and I'm ready to get on the air but I'm clueless about the repeaters.

As in, what does this mean I have to manually set on my radio before I transmit?

This is greek to me:
145.460MHz, -0.600, W0CRA/R, Lee Hill, CTCSS=107.2
147.225MHz, +0.600, W0CRA/R, Conifer Mtn, CTCSS=107.2

I might have to postpone my Utah departure so that I can attend the Ham & Eggs run... :o where to start?

Awesome transceiver.....once you figure it out you're gonna love it!

MDH33
04-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Sweet! Sorry it means a delay, but glad to have you on the run Martin! All you do is select which side you're on, then dial in that frequency, then press that center button then move to function #38 or so.. I think that's the tone one. They're all in there together though, one is the offset, the next is the tone, and the next one decides ENC or END DEC or DEC or nothing. The first time it will take you 10 minutes with the book in your lap, but you'll get much faster.

Thanks! I'll try to figure it out today. I read the manual cover to cover already but haven't dived into the menus yet.

Frequency, offset, tone. Congrats Martin. That's a sweet Radio. Are you putting it in the 40 or 60?

It's mounted in the 40, but I'm going to run a separate power harness for it in the 60 so it will just be plug and play. I got a Diamond antenna and mag mount for now which can be easily swapped onto either vehicle. Once I get an HT to use, I'll hard mount an antenna on the 40 and keep the mag mount for the 60.

I should have it, which means VX-7R and FT-8800R programming.

cool. :cool:

Awesome transceiver.....once you figure it out you're gonna love it!

That's the key. Just need time to play with it. :thumb:

fubuki
04-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Can someone clarify the meetup location for me? I'm not only new to club, but a bit new to Colorado as well. I think I have a pretty good idea, but not quite sure. I assume it's just south of 70 on 26?

Jacket
04-15-2009, 09:57 AM
That's the key. Just need time to play with it. :thumb:

My problem is that I read the manual, played with my 7800, and got a bunch of stuff programmed in - but now I've pretty much forgotten everything except how to change freqs. I'm probably using about 1/1000 of the capabilities of my unit. I hope you do better....

I may not make it up on Saturday after all. Soccer game, swim lessons and lacrosse practice are all on the schedule already. If I don't come up, I'll monitor and participate as I can.

RedCreeper
04-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Not sure if i am able to make it now either. Gots to see the vampire for some blood work and take the FJ to the dealer. When they rotated the tires i have a really bad front end shake when i get on the brakes at higher speeds. Anybody have any ideas of anyone up north that can help me tune my CB? I have a meter just not the know how.

JadeRunner
04-15-2009, 01:12 PM
I plan on coming out with the kids and do a cook out near the back of my Runner.

FYI - Denver Parks charges a pretty penny for the pavilion at Genesse Park and keeps it's use restricted to paying users. It should be fun anyway.

My wife thinks it's a bad idea due to the cold and weather but I assured her it wouldn't bother any of us or the kids.

MDH33
04-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Can someone clarify the meetup location for me? I'm not only new to club, but a bit new to Colorado as well. I think I have a pretty good idea, but not quite sure. I assume it's just south of 70 on 26?

Go up I-70 until the Buffalo Herd Overlook and go Left (South) to Gennesee Park.

fubuki
04-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Go up I-70 until the Buffalo Herd Overlook and go Left (South) to Gennesee Park.

I thought we were meeting at Matthews-Winters park?

MDH33
04-15-2009, 05:14 PM
I thought we were meeting at Matthews-Winters park?

Looks like from post one, there is a meeting place there, but the event is up the hill. It didn't matter to me since I'm coming from the opposite direction. ;)

DaveInDenver
04-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Looks like from post one, there is a meeting place there, but the event is up the hill. It didn't matter to me since I'm coming from the opposite direction. ;)
If only we had a way to contact each other on the way up. If only. ;-)

Hants
04-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Looks like I won't make it up. My LC is mid-upgrade & maintenance and I won't have it done by early Saturday morning.

I'll be out in the (heated) garage thinking of you all, though! :)

Rezarf
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I may try to come out for this just to get my CB tuned up.

The location is getting a bit fuzzy, Nak can you clarify, is it still as post one says?

FWIW, I will bring gormet coffee for all the coffee snobs. ;)

Thanks!

Drew

Mendocino
04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
...I will bring gormet coffee for all the coffee snobs. ;)

Thanks!

Drew

Can you do that in a 40? I thought you had to have an 80 to drink that stuff.:rolleyes:

nakman
04-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes, meeting place is still Matthew's & Winters parking lot at 08:00. If you want to blow that off though, are coming from the west, or just get up late, we should be doing the actual event up at Genessee.

To Dave's point, yes 146.460 2m simplex should put you in touch with the group. Or CB4 if you happen to be within a few feet of us..

Rzeppa
04-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Or CB4 if you happen to be within a few feet of us..

Ouch!

wesintl
04-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Ouch!

There is nothing more Luddite than a ham.. I'm surprised your not a member jeff...:D

MDH33
04-16-2009, 05:57 PM
There is nothing more Luddite than a ham.. I'm surprised your not a member jeff...:D

http://rustybrain.com/smile/tinfoilhat.gif :D :lmao:

60wag
04-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Now that's funny.

SO will there be anyone at the run with a laptop setup to program a FT7800?

nuclearlemon
04-16-2009, 09:10 PM
considering weather, i think i'm out...gonna hit the gun show instead.

Groucho
04-16-2009, 09:21 PM
considering weather, i think i'm out...gonna hit the gun show instead.

Wiener.

Rzeppa
04-16-2009, 09:35 PM

True in some ways, long wave was certainly the start of "radio". But ya gotta remember, I only got a cell phone last year. I'll wait for the early adopters to work the bugs out ;-)

Rzeppa
04-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Just going back to the first post, meet at the Geo cut at 8:00 and be done eating by 9:30, is this still the plan? I'm thinking the whole breakfast part might move back a wee bit. On dry pavement it's around 20-30 minutes from the geo cut to Genessee park, and looking out the window right now, it might take a few more minutes to get there.

Linda and went out to dinner in Bergen Park this evening and there was around 3" on highway 74 since the last plow had come by.

nuclearlemon
04-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Wiener.

i'm not a morning person and since it's a radio class, not wheeling, per say, i can't see getting up for a group breakfast, which by theway, i'm no freakin cook;)

besides, there's a gun show, albeit, the crappy one in aurora, but i still need .45 brass and bullets for reloading;)

nakman
04-17-2009, 09:41 AM
I got your gun show right here Ige...

Mendocino
04-17-2009, 09:55 AM

There is a Discovery Channel or Nat Geo show about that guy and his steroids use. He went to federal prison for steroid sales and basically lost everything in his life for those "guns.":rolleyes:

wesintl
04-17-2009, 10:03 AM
lost everything in is life for those "guns.":rolleyes:

I bet without the steroids the guns are much smaller too. :hill:

nakman
04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
And that's probably not the only thing that's smaller!... :D at least if what they told us in high school is true.

Anyhoos, here's where I have been thinking we'd be going. it's the same spot as the summer picnic in like 2001 or so, if you remember. To be honest, I haven't been there since, but I believe the park is at the end of Genessee Mountain Road.

nakman
04-17-2009, 10:11 AM
But hey if someone remembers differently, or has a better idea, then feel free to post up, or just tell me tomorrow. That place isn't that big, and we can always bail and go to Chief Hosa or Dedisse or something if the group grows impatient. But I'll be doing some baking, so I don't mind driving around a little bit.

And I'll be bringing my snow pants and a sled, and about 1000 layers of clothing for Gavin. Would suggest the rest of ya do the same, I think the snow will make this run even more fun for us.

Rezarf
04-17-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't think I'll fight the snow to have my lousey CB antenna tuned on a SWR meter. Have fun, sounds like a cool event! :thumb:

Rock Dog
04-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Got another Ft2800 yesterday for the 40, but was going to temporarily use it in the 4runner for Moab.... Dang thing it too big to fit anywhere in the runner other than the back seat :mad: nice rugged radio, but dang what a honker..... I may have to miss the run as i am now on call again... but am planning to try..

nuclearlemon
04-17-2009, 04:25 PM

don't get me wrong, a guy with muscles is a huge turnon, but too many muscles is just gross:eek:

DaveInDenver
04-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Are we really gonna do this. After the drive home this afternoon I'm thinking that just about the last thing I want to do tomorrow is deal with another 2 hours of morons. OMG, freak out! The Safeway was jammed, hardly a spot near Morgan's. Might be snowed in for a whole 24 hours, stock up on 4 gallons of milk, 8 loaves of bread and Doritos.

Rezarf
04-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Might be snowed in for a whole 24 hours, stock up on 4 gallons of milk, 8 loaves of bread and Doritos.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::thumb:

Convert
04-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Might be snowed in for a whole 24 hours, stock up on 4 gallons of milk, 8 loaves of bread and Doritos.

x3 :thumb::beer::thumb:

Groucho
04-17-2009, 08:09 PM
I am planning on it. Not sure what I will be bringing to eat for breakfast, but I am going to try.

I was going to bring the CM trailer to test out the rig and antenna, but if there is 3' of snow at Genesse, I may do it sans trailer.

JadeRunner
04-17-2009, 08:46 PM
I think we should meet around 9-9:30 at the Genesee Mtn. Park like a normal run. Have a cup of coffee and mess with radios and play with the kids. Then if we think I70 is open and want to chance it, some of us could hit Yankee Hill for a quick snow run. Be back mid afternoon. With 3 feet of big heavy wet snow we won't need to go far off road to have fun.

Mendocino
04-17-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm out.:( I'll monitor the freqs via the HT.

nakman
04-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Definitely still in. Scott great idea if some folks want to go up towards Yankee Hill later or something similar I'm all for it, was thinking the same thing. But we'll still do the breakfast, bring lots of coffee/cocoa stuff. And sleds for the kids for sure.

Rest of you guys who want to monitor try 147.225 and 146.460 from about 07:15 onward, I'll be listening except when I'm in the Starbucks line.. :)

DaveInDenver
04-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Alright, I'll attempt to head west in the morning. Probably won't drag the stove and griddle, instead probably have a thermos of coffee and something simple. So 0800 at Mathews-Winter (appropriate), be on 146.460 & 147.225. 73s and stay warm, fellas.

BTW, I'm still hoping to have a laptop. Would probably need an inverter, pretty sure Nakman has one. But just in case not, can someone who has one go ahead and bring it? In any case I will have the software and cables even if I don't have the 'puter, if someone wants to install the software.

nakman
04-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Yup, got the inverter(s) covered. see you tomorrow!

Karst8835
04-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Are we still ago to meet at 8:00 am? I70 is closed.

I have a laptop.

Groucho
04-18-2009, 06:45 AM
I know Nakman and I are going. Breakfast might be something already done, but we'll be there.

nakman
04-18-2009, 06:54 AM
I'm about out the door, so will be in Morrison by 08:00. We can take US 40 up the hill if I-70 is closed.. wow what a difference in a few miles, only about 5" here in Broomfield, and it's raining.

JadeRunner
04-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Sorry - I'm out. I have some family stuff that came up. Plus the I70 thing. Still planning to go to Robbie's tomorrow though.

fubuki
04-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I couldn't make, which sucks. I'm buying some new wheels from a guy in Utah who was coming through town yesterday, but got delayed because of weather. I have to meet him this morning.

wesintl
04-18-2009, 09:52 AM
i'm hoppin on the repeater @ 10

Mendocino
04-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm on the repeater and RS simplex.:yagi:

wesintl
04-18-2009, 10:30 AM
I can't raise anyone...

Mendocino
04-18-2009, 11:02 AM
I talked to Tim on simplex from my HT at 5w using my sbb-7 on the 40 while in the garage. Google Earth tells me that was about a 22 mile contact. Pretty cool.:thumb::D

Uncle Ben
04-18-2009, 11:26 AM
I can't raise anyone...

I think your HT is junk! Since I like you and all I would be willing to trade you straight across for my excellant "talk to the world with ease" VZ-7R with extra battery, speaker mic, both antennas, 12v charger and the 110v charger. Thats what friends are for! ;)