PDA

View Full Version : Mauser HSc

maxsdad
04-09-2009, 01:24 PM
My Dad brought this back after WW2 and it's been in storage ever since.
I own it now, but am not much of a gun person.
It is not registered, so not exactly sure what to do with it.
I've often thought about having a hand gun around, and now with the kids out of the house I would feel much more safe doing so.
But...not sure if this is the right one to have.
Should I register and keep it, or sell it and buy a more appropriate gun?
Thanks for your opinions.

Uncle Ben
04-09-2009, 01:42 PM
My Dad brought this back after WW2 and it's been in storage ever since.
I own it now, but am not much of a gun person.
It is not registered, so not exactly sure what to do with it.
I've often thought about having a hand gun around, and now with the kids out of the house I would feel much more safe doing so.
But...not sure if this is the right one to have.
Should I register and keep it, or sell it and buy a more appropriate gun?
Thanks for your opinions.

I would not register it and pack it up along with moisture absorbing pillows. Consider it a stable, never to lose value savings bond! If your serious about having a safety weapon buy your self a decent 9mm or even a .45 and get used to shooting it! A gun will not help you if you are not comfortable with it! When the ammo is all gone and they come after your gun you will be happy to know that you still have a way to protect your home if ever the time comes!

Crash
04-09-2009, 02:03 PM
I would not register it and pack it up along with moisture absorbing pillows. Consider it a stable, never to lose value savings bond! If your serious about having a safety weapon buy your self a decent 9mm or even a .45 and get used to shooting it! A gun will not help you if you are not comfortable with it! When the ammo is all gone and they come after your gun you will be happy to know that you still have a way to protect your home if ever the time comes!

Not being a gun advocate I can only add that having resources to help deal with the future are worthy of consideration. My choice for that indefinite future is to have vehicles that are not electronically controllable by Big Brother. '55 Mercurys are my choice of said vehicles and I have two of them for that eventuality. Now if they were only biodiesel friendly! FJ40s are also on the list - FJ62s less so.
:beer:

maxsdad
04-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Steve - Other than summer camp 40 years ago, I have never really been involved with guns..but the older I get and less comfortable I feel defending myself with only my bravado, and the fact that my wife and I spend a fair amount of time in a remote part of the mountains makes owning a gun worth considering - although actually using it is a different story - I had a woodpecker dead in my bb guns sights the other day, and couldn't pull the trigger....
In terms of retirement income in case I need it, I have to agree with you....but, I chose the import car route - 59 and 70 Porsches....oh, yea...and a 40.....

Kevin - why keep it unregistered?

Not being a gun advocate I can only add that having resources to help deal with the future are worthy of consideration. My choice for that indefinite future is to have vehicles that are not electronically controllable by Big Brother. '55 Mercurys are my choice of said vehicles and I have two of them for that eventuality. Now if they were only biodiesel friendly! FJ40s are also on the list - FJ62s less so.
:beer:

Red_Chili
04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Colorado has no gun registration.

wesintl
04-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I think they are only worth 2-400. I would keep it. shoot it here and there. If you like shooting keep it and buy something more modern.

SteveH
04-10-2009, 09:48 AM
You may want to keep it in a locked but accessible case if you have kids around. Record the serial number somewhere in case it gets stolen, no matter what else you do.

It may be an entirely suitable firearm for your needs - take it to a reputable gunsmith and have him look it over and test it for basic soundness and safety. Age of a firearm has little to do with its fitness for a purpose, unless it's pre-1900. I sure wouldn't sell it. Wikipedia has some interesting facts on that model. A blowback .380 is a very simple and robust design and it should prove to be a fun shooter.

A .380 isn't much for defense, but it sure beats a fireplace poker.

Red_Chili
04-10-2009, 02:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_HSc

No way would I part with that.

My dad had a 9mm Luger from WWII. He was out of town from the farm, and a pack of feral dogs came around scaring the *(&)^) out of my mom and the female German Shorthaired we had in the barn, in heat. So she grabbed the Luger but was a gun idiot so didn't know how to use it.

So she called the sheriff. He came out, saw the Luger, scared her by showing extreme concern for her safety with the thing, so she gave it to him 'for safe keeping'. And he shot the feral pack with his .38.

Never saw the Luger again. Imagine that.
:rant:

Sometimes the South just works that way...

Mendocino
04-10-2009, 04:32 PM
...Kevin - why keep it unregistered?

If we had registration, and thankfully we don't, why in the world would you register it?:confused:

Clean it, or as some have suggested take it to a gunsmith for inspection and have it cleaned, and shoot it! There are many of us here that "know what we are doing" :rolleyes: and would be happy to go with you to shoot it and ensure you are safe and have a good experience.

maxsdad
04-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks for your input...any recommendations on a gun shop down south (near the ranch)?

Rezarf
04-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Fur sure keep it. I try to never let go of a firearm.

As for a homedefense pistol something else might be worth checking out. Just make sure you are super comfortable with it, and that simply comes from shooting it a lot... the correct/safe way.

Drew