PDA

View Full Version : Yaesu - VX8r

wesintl
04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
mmmmmmmmm

Uncle Ben
04-09-2009, 11:23 PM
mmmmmmmmm

Nice....is that a stock pic or does someone have a new toy? Looks a lot like a Root table....

Hulk
04-10-2009, 12:34 AM
mmmmmmmmm

Looks sweet -- which model is that?

Uncle Ben
04-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Looks sweet -- which model is that?

:bowdown:VX-8r

Romer
04-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Mmmmmmmmm Yaaaasueee (Homer's voice )

nakman
04-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Cool! Bring it out to the tighy whitey weeny roast! No wait, green eggs & hamfest, or.. . well you know. :bolt:

Uncle Ben
04-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Wes is being tight lipped about if he is the owner, pirated the pic or spilled the beans for Treeroot.....come awn WW fill in the details.....jealous club members wanna know! :o;):cool::D

wesintl
04-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes it's my new 8r with gps, etc. I'm still trying to figure it all out. It has way more functions than the 1802. The gps is really nice.

I'm trying to decide if I want and external mag mount for better ground plane in the 80 or a better rubber duckie will suffice.

Which ht duckie do you have nakman?

nakman
04-10-2009, 11:12 AM

I have several, but the best one is a dual band Diamond that was recommended by both Dave & Brian, they have the same one as well.. I don't have the model number in front of me but I'm sure it's up here some place. You're welcome to try it out next Saturday :D

DaveInDenver
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I have several, but the best one is a dual band Diamond that was recommended by both Dave & Brian, they have the same one as well.. I don't have the model number in front of me but I'm sure it's up here some place. You're welcome to try it out next Saturday :D
Man, always the salesman!

The Diamond we have is something like SRH77. Does work pretty well, although it's long and that's it's main downside. Doesn't fit in the Tuffy, makes the radio tip over on the table, pokes you in the shoulder if you hang it on your belt. But even though the stock duckie and the Maldol stubby I got are nicer since they are shorter, the long sucker is what's usually on the radio...

DaveInDenver
04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, back a couple of pages ago is a comparison of the range of HT antennas.

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=66632&postcount=63

corsair23
04-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm trying to decide if I want and external mag mount for better ground plane in the 80 or a better rubber duckie will suffice.

I guess it depends on how you will use the HT more...I bought basically what Romer has antenna wise on his LX, and then ran an extension with the small cable up to the front of my LX and connect it up to the HT (VX7R). This added some flexibily for when I go to a mobile rig as I'll already have the NMO mount and antenna and will only be out the cost of the extension. I have the other antennas (like Dave linked to) for home use or use in the 40.

I can tell you that the range with the rubber duckie antenna (not the stubby but the longer one) was pretty minimal when on the BOWAGWR last year...Maybe 2-3 miles. With the external antenna setup on the LX I have been able to talk to Dave on simplex from at least 5+ miles away. With any of the antennas I can usually "hear" people from a long way off, even on simplex. When going to the meetings I can usually hear people on .460 all the way up to where UB etc. hang out but they cannot hear me when I transmit...That 5W just doesn't reach out very far on simplex.

If you want to try any of the antennas I have (I have the short stubby, the longer rubber duckie, and then the longer metal collapsible one that is similar to what Dave linked to but I think is what UB has) or hook up to the antenna in the LX and do some testing just let me know :thumb:

MDH33
04-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Yes it's my new 8r with gps, etc. I'm still trying to figure it all out. It has way more functions than the 1802. The gps is really nice.

:cool:
What kind of GPS functionality does it have?

wesintl
04-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks Dave.. I'll look back over that. I may get both a better duckie and a external mag mount :D. I may take you guys up on trying out the antennas.

Martin, The gps is pretty basic but considering i've never had one it's pretty cool. LAT,long, speed, alt, direction. Mostly stuff you would need for SR.

http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=3780&FileCatID=38&FileName=VX%2D8R%20Brochure.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

nakman
04-10-2009, 01:06 PM
If you want to try any of the antennas I have (I have the short stubby, the longer rubber duckie, and then the longer metal collapsible one that is similar to what Dave linked to but I think is what UB has) or hook up to the antenna in the LX and do some testing I'll be at the Rising Sun Breakfast & Hamfest next Saturday! :thumb:

fixed it for you. :D

Hulk
04-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Wes, I bought a couple of extra antennas for my Vx-7R:

Stubby little guy:
MALDOL MH-209SMA (https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=139)
144/440 MHz. Dual-Band Miniflex Handheld Antenna

Telescoping big boy:
DIAMOND SRH789 (https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=157)
95~1100 MHz Telesoping HT Antenna AM/FM Receiving (At Full Length), Folds at Base (Length: 7.9" retracted, 31.7" extended)

Both of them have been great. I wish the Diamond didn't fold over at the base though.

Here's another good one to consider. Hants has this one on his HT.

COMET HT-224 (https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=136)
COMET 144/220/440 MHz. Tri-Band Handheld Antenna, RX: 118 ~ 160, 180 ~ 280, 360 ~ 520 MHz (Gain: 144 Mhz. 1.3dBi 1/4 wave / 220 MHz. 1.4dBi 1/2 wave / 440 MHz. 1.8dBi 5/8 wave, Max Power: 10 Watts, Length: 11")

MDH33
04-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Martin, The gps is pretty basic but considering i've never had one it's pretty cool. LAT,long, speed, alt, direction. Mostly stuff you would need for SR.

http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=3780&FileCatID=38&FileName=VX%2D8R%20Brochure.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

Very cool, I like how the GPS antenna attaches to the top of the mic.

Can the GPS be changed from Lat/Lon to UTM? Can the datum be changed?

wesintl
04-10-2009, 04:30 PM
you can change the display units. I would assume you could choose UTM but I have not looked specifically for UTM vs knots, kph, etc.

yes the datum can be changed.

of course it has arps too to transmit location.

Rock Dog
04-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Did you pick it up at HRO, or find a better deal?

treerootCO
04-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Have they made the PC cable for it yet? I would really like to program this thing with a PC instead of going through 30-40 sub menus per button. HRO said the radio was released before the cable and software could be purchased.

wesintl
04-11-2009, 11:28 AM
neil, no and no.:o

They say mid may on cable but if it's anything like the radio itself it'll be june or july... lol

Maybe i only need the cloning cable once your done :D