PDA

View Full Version : Welding Help

Cruzrman
04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Hello All,
I was wondering if there's anyone out there who would be willilng to weld on a pair of All-Pro spindle gussets on my FJ. I live down south, but would be willing to drive to wherever necessary. Lunch and beer on me, or cash if you'd rather. My email is bperilstein@gmail.com.
Thanks

Mendocino
04-10-2009, 09:05 PM
OK, I'll bite. I might consider it but I don't know what you are referring to. Pics? What is the material, material thickness, is it in the vehicle or on the bench, etc...:confused:

Beater
04-11-2009, 06:45 AM
ditto - might have time today if prep is minimal

Mendocino
04-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Here (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/63180-weld-spindle-arm-gussets-all-pro-instructions-w-pics.html) is a link to this mod. If this is off the vehicle if should not be that tough to do. I may not have enough flexibility in settings on my Hobart 175 Handler to do this on someone elses truck (I would do it on mine).:)

Rezarf
04-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Here (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/63180-weld-spindle-arm-gussets-all-pro-instructions-w-pics.html) is a link to this mod. If this is off the vehicle if should not be that tough to do. I may not have enough flexibility in settings on my Hobart 175 Handler to do this on someone elses truck (I would do it on mine).:)

Your hobart will handle that no problem. Prep is the key. Looks like it took minimal fitting for the dude in the thread.

Drew

Cruzrman
04-11-2009, 10:35 AM
OK, I'll bite. I might consider it but I don't know what you are referring to. Pics? What is the material, material thickness, is it in the vehicle or on the bench, etc...:confused:

Mendocino,
I appreciate the offer. The gussets are 1/8" steel. Have you had a chance to look at the link showing the installation. Does it look like something you could do?
Cruzrman

RockRunner
04-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Do you have the parts of the truck? That would be the best way so you can get to all the tight spots. I have a welder that will handle the steel and don't live to far from you. How soon do you need this done? If you can prep all the parts before you bring them over then the welding can be done in a fairly timely fashion.

I am over in Roxborough so not to far from you. LMK what you think.

Mendocino
04-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Mendocino,
I appreciate the offer. The gussets are 1/8" steel. Have you had a chance to look at the link showing the installation. Does it look like something you could do?
Cruzrman

Ahh, I posted up the link:rolleyes:. Yes, I did look at it. I can't guarantee that my welds would look that good. If you have everything off the truck and prepped you might want to just take it to someone that welds for a living. I weld because I need to on my Franken-cruiser:D.

I'll give it a go if you give me a "hold harmless agreement.":)

I'm in Broomfield.

BTW-I'm in the garage most of the day so I can do it today if you are ready.

Cruzrman
04-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Do you have the parts of the truck? That would be the best way so you can get to all the tight spots. I have a welder that will handle the steel and don't live to far from you. How soon do you need this done? If you can prep all the parts before you bring them over then the welding can be done in a fairly timely fashion.

I am over in Roxborough so not to far from you. LMK what you think.

RockRunner,
Thanks for the offer. I didn't realize until I read the link that the spindles need to be off the vehicle, so no I'm not ready. I'll have to get it torn down and see when my wife's car is available. There's no big hurry. I'll let you know and thanks again.
Cruzrman

Rezarf
04-11-2009, 11:30 AM
You will want them off to get good welds.

Drew

SROR/AKA 2BAD
04-11-2009, 05:21 PM
hey bob,
sorry i never got back to you, this post reminded me.
i would do it only if you get them off and bring them to me.

i really don't think a good job could be done with them on the rig.

jim

RockRunner
04-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Sounds good, I am sure if you take them off it can be done much easier. LMK what you decide.