PDA

View Full Version : Glenwood Springs ????

ginericLC
04-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Well Ginger applied for the Strawberry Hill Art Festival in Glenwood Springs, CO. When we originally looked at the map we thought it was between Denver and Vail. OOOOPS! Wrong direction! I sure hope there is a big enough audience. Anyone know anything about this show or the area. Looks a lot better for us for camping and recreation than the Vail show was in 2007. Unfortunately it is a little early in the season to be hitting the high country. It is June 19-21.

Any info, comments, warnings, etc... appreciated.

Next year we won't screw around and we will just apply for Cherry Creek!

Eric V.

Uncle Ben
04-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Glenwood is a fun little town! The pool will entertain the whole family...there is great 4 wheeling all over the area and it's a beautiful place!

bh4rnnr
04-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Glenwood is a fun little town! The pool will entertain the whole family...there is great 4 wheeling all over the area and it's a beautiful place!

Ditto! Fun fun town. Stay in the Hotel Colorado and walk to the springs, then go wheelin:cool:

Forget Cherry Creek, bleh! Maybe instead apply for the 16th street art fair in the summer.

nuclearlemon
04-10-2009, 08:48 PM
hhhhmmmmm...denver vs. mountain town......
stick with glenwood springs. city life sucks

Uncle Ben
04-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Another bonus is Glenwood has a slight cowboy type feel to it so Gingers art will fit right in! :thumb::thumb:

corsair23
04-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Lots of areas to tour...

In fact, one of the most photographed water wheels/mills whatever you call it is not far from there outside of Marble CO near the marble quarry. I've also heard Hanging Lake is WELL worth the adventure...Hiking, not 4-wheeling to that though.

ginericLC
04-11-2009, 05:36 AM
Wow! This is sounding positive.

The reason I had hoped it was closer to Denver it that there would be a potential for more traffic.

The Vail show sucked. Financially it turned out OK at the last minute as one tourist bought a couple of higher priced paintings. But the organizers were terrible. There was no traffic at the event. The promoting stunk. And for us wanting to camp there was nothing available close and the commute to Leadville every day was terrible. The best part was going to the Rallye :), OK it was the 2nd best. Holy Cross, the Alpine Tunnel, and Iron Chest were the best part of the trip.

Ginger says she has a good feeling about this show. So combined with your positive thoughts I think it will be.

I've wanted to go to Marble, Colorado since I was a little kid. That is where the marble for the Tomb of the Unknown soldier came from. My dad has a piece of it with a drill hole in it on his mantel by his fireplace. So I'll be able to cross that one off my list.

powderpig
04-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Is there anything happening at Aspen? Traffic is always flowing back and forth in this area. You have Carbondale and Aspen down the road, People stop for the hot springs and the good food that is around. The place has grown quite a bit in the last dozen or so years. Hopefully the organizers have a way to attract all this traffic to the show.
Good luck this this Eric.

Uncle Ben
04-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Wow! This is sounding positive.

The reason I had hoped it was closer to Denver it that there would be a potential for more traffic.

The Vail show sucked. Financially it turned out OK at the last minute as one tourist bought a couple of higher priced paintings. But the organizers were terrible. There was no traffic at the event. The promoting stunk. And for us wanting to camp there was nothing available close and the commute to Leadville every day was terrible. The best part was going to the Rallye :), OK it was the 2nd best. Holy Cross, the Alpine Tunnel, and Iron Chest were the best part of the trip.

Ginger says she has a good feeling about this show. So combined with your positive thoughts I think it will be.

I've wanted to go to Marble, Colorado since I was a little kid. That is where the marble for the Tomb of the Unknown soldier came from. My dad has a piece of it with a drill hole in it on his mantel by his fireplace. So I'll be able to cross that one off my list.

Glenwood is a hot tourist stop because of the pools! Marble area is Lori and my favorite place in the state for beauty! If you go to Marble be sure to take the short drive up to the Quarry and then a modeate but short hike up to the viewing entrance to the mine. Looks like just a large cave until you see a huge front end loader below you that looks much like a Matchbox size toy! Very cool to play on the marble skree! Take the Crystal/Lead King Basin loop for one of the most beautiful easy 4x4 drives your ever experience! If you have time and are up to a little bit of pucker power take the Schofeild Pass junction and pop over to Crested Butte for lunch. Hmmmmm talking about it makes me wanna head up trhere this summer too....I'm sure it won't be much of an arm twisting (beeep - strike that comment) to get Lori excited to go.

jacdaw
04-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Pray for a late storm that closes the pass, and you're guaranteed downvalley traffic from Aspen and Carbondale. Glenwood is a great little town and eats up culture. We have a successful British car ralley there every summer.

RockRunner
04-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Ditto! Fun fun town. Stay in the Hotel Colorado and walk to the springs, then go wheelin:cool:

Forget Cherry Creek, bleh! Maybe instead apply for the 16th street art fair in the summer.

I agree, Hotel Colorado is great and they are dog friendly. The history there is also something to look into.

The vestal gets a ton of people but don't know what will happen this year.

CC is nice too but very stuffy. I prefer the Strawberry fest.

Uncle Ben
04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I agree, Hotel Colorado is great and they are dog friendly. The history there is also something to look into.

The vestal gets a ton of people but don't know what will happen this year.

CC is nice too but very stuffy. I prefer the Strawberry fest.

Hotel Colorado is a beautiful place! The history alone makes it worth the price of admission! One issue about HC is there is no air conditioning. Try to get a room on the end that you can open windows on both sides for cross flow! On the other side of the bridge accros the street from the Train Station there is a place that has the best steaks and food you'll find anywhere! The name of the place will make you wonder a tad but the food will make you crave it and plan another trip! Juicy Lucy's (http://www.juicylucyssteakhouse.com/locations/glenwood-springs.html)

jacdaw
04-12-2009, 06:50 PM
On the other side of the bridge accros the street from the Train Station there is a place that has the best steaks and food you'll find anywhere! The name of the place will make you wonder a tad but the food will make you crave it and plan another trip! Juicy Lucy's (http://www.juicylucyssteakhouse.com/locations/glenwood-springs.html)

Wow! They have a 2003 Silver Oak for only $80. That's cheap for a restaurant bottle. How's the filet? Can you tell I'm food-motivated?

Uncle Ben
04-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Wow! They have a 2003 Silver Oak for only $80. That's cheap for a restaurant bottle. How's the filet? Can you tell I'm food-motivated?

Ifin' your talking about the Filet Mignon I can tell you it's what I crave the most! That combined with their King Crab Legs and spicy corn is beyond ecstasy levels! :bowdown::bowdown:

bh4rnnr
04-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Eric,

here is a link to the DownTown Denver Arts Festival (http://www.downtowndenverartsfestival.com/) incase your interested.....

:cheers:

nakman
04-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey on Sunday the 21st that's our annual Father's Day run on Spring Creek, which is Georgetown about 2 hours towards Denver from Glenwood. Not that you need to drive 2 hours to wheel with us, but the other way around-

perhaps a few of us want to drive 2 hours to camp out the night before.. in fact we are scheming a day to run Dead Man's Creek to evaluate conditions, heck talk about a fun way to do both at once, get up early and drive to Glenwood to run Dead Man's Creek with our favorite Idahoian (ok 2nd favorite, sorry UgliMike :) ) then camp, then hit Spring Creek with Papa Zepp on the way home. That's a father's day weekend even a mother could love. :)

Corbet
04-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Glenwood should hold much more promise than Vail. Glenwood is a town and community where as Vail is a resort. Plus you will should get plenty of high end shoppers flowing down valley from Aspen.

Hulk
04-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Glenwood Springs is an awesome little town. You'll spend most of a day at the Glenwood Springs hot springs pool (http://www.hotspringspool.com/) which Gabe will love.

My recommendation is to stay at the historic Hotel Denver (http://www.thehoteldenver.com/), across the river from the Hotel Colorado. We find it to be nicer, and there is a brewpub restaurant with excellent food and beer on the first floor. We love the Hotel Colorado for so many things, but we'll never stay there again if we can avoid it. Especially in the summer.

The Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park (http://glenwoodcaverns.com/) is also kid friendly and very cool. The cave is very much worth the price of admission. The Canyon Flyer alpine roller coaster is an absolute blast. We must have rode it 15 times on our visit last summer.

I also highly recommend hiking the Hanging Lake / Spouting Rock trail (http://www.hikingincolorado.org/hang.html), just a few miles into the canyon. It's postcard beautiful. Last summer our kids hiked it with no assistance needed (they were almost 5 and almost 7 at the time).

Hulk
04-14-2009, 12:15 AM

I disagree. I would recommend the Cherry Creek Art Fair just for the sheer volume and quality of people who attend. If the point of showing your art at a fair is to sell your art to people who have the money to buy it, Cherry Creek would be worth trying. My understanding is that it is very hard to get in. There is certainly some prestige that goes along with getting admitted as an artist to this show. I think Ginger's cowboy art would do extremely well at this venue.

Glenwood Springs is an awesome town. I have no knowledge of their art fair. The good news that the town is packed almost every weekend with vacationers, more so than Vail in the summer.

jacdaw
04-14-2009, 04:21 AM
I would also suggest that once you've experienced Glenwood and do well there, you might be willing to drive back and display your art at the Carbondale Mountain Fair (http://www.carbondalearts.com/index.cfm?method=c.cat&catID=2). Arts&Crafts Application PDF (http://www.carbondalearts.com/docs/A%20&%20E%20App.%20online.pdf)

I disagree. I would recommend the Cherry Creek Art Fair just for the sheer volume and quality of people who attend. If the point of showing your art at a fair is to sell your art to people who have the money to buy it, Cherry Creek would be worth trying. My understanding is that it is very hard to get in. There is certainly some prestige that goes along with getting admitted as an artist to this show. I think Ginger's cowboy art would do extremely well at this venue.

Glenwood Springs is an awesome town. I have no knowledge of their art fair. The good news that the town is packed almost every weekend with vacationers, more so than Vail in the summer.

ginericLC
04-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I love this forum! You guys are all so helpful. This is going to be a vacation for me. Screw the Art Fair I'm going on an adventure with a 6 year old and 1 year old and a 4 year old Yellow Lab.

Ginger did OK in Vail. The problem was the city is so tight. They changed the venue from years past and the city wouldn't let them put up any signs.

We like to camp when we travel. OK, we camp because it is a necessary. Ginger has so many large paintings that we have to tow a trailer. So we may as well be towing a camping trailer.

Our last trip to Colorado was expensive for us, after doing Vail Pass a couple of times and the road from Leadville to Vail with the camper in tow I decided we needed more power and we sold the 80 to get the 100. So even though she made money it cost us about 10k in vehicle changes :)