PDA

View Full Version : Need to Borrow "Fish Scale" For Bearing Preload

Bikeman
04-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Title says it all. I need to borrow one to set the preload of the rear bearings. I have the spanner tool, just need a "fish scale". I can't do the "feel method". Southsiders? Thanks.

Romer
04-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Mike,
You can boorw mine. They are only a few dollars at Harbor Freight

I am near Arapahoe RD and Jordan RD. Should be home after 5

jacdaw
04-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm on the north side but I have one you can use and I'm around all day. Scales on it are 0-50N and 0-5000g. It's medical grade for I.V. pole use. Pac-Sci brand.

RicardoJM
04-14-2009, 08:50 AM
I have one that you could borrow as well. It may take me a few minutes to find it in the garage as I don't recall seeing it in my tool box during the WBPP. I'm near C-470 and University. I picked mine up at the Discount Fishing and Tackle on Santa Fe just north of Dartmouth - was about $6 IIRC.

DaveInDenver
04-14-2009, 08:55 AM
FWIW, Marlin sells a nice one. Might be worth throwing one into the cart the next time you order something. I have one similar to this one, you are welcome to it Mike. Arapahoe and Peoria during the week.

http://marlincrawler.com/hardware-tools/tools/knuckle-pull-scale

jacdaw
04-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Based on Marlin's specs mine might not be helpful at all. 5000g is only about 11 lbs.

FWIW, Marlin sells a nice one. Might be worth throwing one into the cart the next time you order something. I have one similar to this one, you are welcome to it Mike. Arapahoe and Peoria during the week.

http://marlincrawler.com/hardware-tools/tools/knuckle-pull-scale

DaveInDenver
04-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Based on Marlin's specs mine might not be helpful at all. 5000g is only about 11 lbs.
Might be a little low. You don't need 50 lbs, up to around 25~30 lbs is enough. But these things are usually available roughly by orders or range, i.e 0-5, 0-50, 0-150, etc. It's like torque wrenches. You need say 15 ft-lb and you can choose a tool that goes from 25 in-lb to 250 in-lb or 10 to 150 ft-lb, so you are either at the very top of one or the bottom of another. :doh:

corsair23
04-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Mike,

I have one as well if none of the other prospects work out. It is digital if that makes a difference. I was taught the "feel" method by Three Wheel Ben and it does work :thumb: - Although I still don't trust myself so I check it with the scale and everytime I am usually close to spot on :hill:

Bikeman
04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys for all the offers.

Jeff, you are the closest and the digital sounds nice. Can I get it from you sometime Wednesday. I am off tha day/night. Thanks.

corsair23
04-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys for all the offers.

Jeff, you are the closest and the digital sounds nice. Can I get it from you sometime Wednesday. I am off tha day/night. Thanks.

No problem Mike. Don't let the digital fool you though...Picked it up at Harbor Freight if I remember right. I should be home after 6pm or so or I can leave it in the milk box for you :thumb:

I should have mentioned that I'll need it back sort of quick as I plan to get my front axle rebuild done here in the next week or so before CM. Shoot me a PM and we can figure out what works for you.

Bikeman
04-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Is there a reason why my digital bike scale wouldn't work?

corsair23
04-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Is there a reason why my digital bike scale wouldn't work?

Do you have a picture of what it looks like and how high does it go? I'm guessing if you have a way of hooking it on and it goes up high enough it should work fine :confused:

subzali
04-15-2009, 07:43 AM
I have one in the toolbox too. Arapahoe and I-25 in the evenings.

DaveInDenver
04-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Do you have a picture of what it looks like and how high does it go? I'm guessing if you have a way of hooking it on and it goes up high enough it should work fine :confused:
I'm guessing it's a bike scale (weight weenies like to see how much our their bikes and parts weigh). If so, should work fine, they usually go up to about 50 lbs. They are way more accurate than typical mechanic's bearing preload tools.

Bikeman
04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
This is what I have:
www.feedbacksports.com/products/alpine_digital_scale.aspx

corsair23
04-15-2009, 01:00 PM
This is what I have:
www.feedbacksports.com/products/alpine_digital_scale.aspx (http://www.feedbacksports.com/products/alpine_digital_scale.aspx)

Mike, I can't see any reason that won't work just fine :thumb: - In fact, we may want to be borrowing that from you! :D

Bikeman
04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Mike, I can't see any reason that won't work just fine :thumb: - In fact, we may want to be borrowing that from you! :D

That's cool! It's fun having digital stuff. Thanks for all the help, guys.