PDA

View Full Version : Namibia

Air Randy
04-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I found some photos from our 4x4 expedition to the Skeleton Coast of Namibia. Since the leader drove a Toyota truck and there were several other Toyotas in the pack (alas, I drove alnd Rover Discovery in those days) I thought you might enjoy seeing some of these.

It took us 2 full days of driving through the dunes to reach the coast. When you reach the coast, there is only one place to exit the dunes. You have to wait until low tide, go over the lip of the dune right down to the water, then wait for the right opening in the waves to turn right and go like hell for about 300 yards to where the beach widens out.

Other than a SAT phone we had no comms with the outside world and were 200 miles from the closest civilization. The only supplies you had is what you carried from the start and we lived out of the vehicles for a full week.

wesintl
04-15-2009, 07:49 PM
cool dune pics

Mendocino
04-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Cool Pics! The Cruiser reminds me of one I used in RSA not too long ago.:)

RockRunner
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Really cool Randy, great pics. I do noye that there is a ack of rock crawling;)

nuclearlemon
04-15-2009, 10:27 PM
cool pics.

when i saw the title, i was waiting to hear about dom von stosser, a cruiser friend who lives there.

LETSROLL
04-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Wow. What an experience!

Hulk
04-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Wow. I am jealous.

Jacket
04-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Wow x3. Sounds like an amazing trip!

AxleIke
04-16-2009, 10:35 AM
WOW!

That is awesome!

I'd love to get to do that someday.

cbmontgo
04-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Those dunes are eerily beautiful. Great pics.

Air Randy
04-16-2009, 06:44 PM
The amazing thing is, once you enter the dunes at the beginning of the trip, that is all you see for 2 days/200 miles until you reach the coast and see the ocean. This area has been tightly controlled by the Namibian government since diamonds were discovered right after WW1. The public is still not allowed into the area today. There is only this one tour operator who has a license to lead 4x4 expeditions into the area. The only others allowed in are employees of the DeBeers diamond company.

If you look in the right areas you really can find diamonds lying on the surface of the ground. They are really small and not worth the risk of 20 years in a Namibian jail if you get caught taking any. When you cross the border back into SA, they run vehicles through an x-ray machine looking for smuggled diamonds.

You take a slightly different route out where you see the rocky foothills and really flat plains of sand. Once you get back to the town of Luderitz, you have another 300 mile drive across the Kalihiri desert to get back into South Africa.

MDH33
04-16-2009, 11:45 PM
That's cool road trip stuff, man. :thumb: :beer:

There's something about dunes, sea and Cruiser that gives me wanderlust. :)