PDA

View Full Version : The problem of never being happy with your truck...

Squishy!
04-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Recently I've been very frustrated and overwhelmed with my pickup. It hasn't turned out the way I had pictured and it needs a lot of work (and money) to get it there. So I've been considering swapping the solid front axle and suspension from the truck to the 4runner. The Runner would be an awesome adventure rig and good for the (eventual) family. Like an 80, but smaller with the SAS and have 5.29's already set up with a front locker too. Basically I'd be turning two trucks into one and sacrificing the pickup in the process. I've always liked the SAS 3rd gens and [I think] Brian Ellinger sells most of the stuff for cross over steering, etc.

So I'm in need of some feedback from the wheeling community on my self induced unrest...

Bikeman
04-18-2009, 01:31 PM
After seeing your Runner in action, it would be super nice to see a 'charged, all-modern with creature-comforts family SAS rig with an SAS! Just think for the family: quiet, AC, better heat, 4 doors, and the perfect size-- a little smaller than an 80-Series. Nothing a low-profile roof rack couldn't solve for carrying extra stuff. Not to discredit the Red Chili!

ElliottB
04-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Sounds like you'd be turning the DD into a trail rig AND dd?

I tried that before and it was an awful idea. But then again I guess it depends how hard you wheel it.

Squishy!
04-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I've been driving my Rockcrawler as a DD since I was 16 up until six months ago when I got the 4runner, so it wouldn't perturb me much. Besides it wouldn't be set up as extreme as the pickup is now. 33" or 35" MAX tire size and probably 4"-5" lift overall.

Beater
04-18-2009, 01:42 PM
oh dad..... did you here that? FAMILY!!!! rotflmao!!!!!!

Squishy!
04-18-2009, 01:43 PM
rotflmao? never heard that one, do expand please

Bikeman
04-18-2009, 01:44 PM
I still think that a 35" or 37" tire can be on a DD if you are running a siped radial MT. Also, it can still drive well if your caster is decent and have a lower CG, with a steering setup that is setup well, like adding a track bar to the front of a leafed suspension.

wesintl
04-18-2009, 01:45 PM
lol

You don't need a solid axle for adventure travel. That runner is fine the way it is.

Save up for a house and invest.

Squishy!
04-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Ok I do want to be able to run fairly hardcore trails and I just don't like the way IFS wheels. I would want my Runner to be as capable as my pickup, but nice.

Beater
04-18-2009, 02:33 PM
rolling on the floor, laughing my arse off

Squishy!
04-18-2009, 02:44 PM
My eventual plan was to have the 4runner, rockcrawler and a car of some sort (i'd want a Suby, but dreams...) so condensing them to two instead of three... and the car would be the long term DD.

AxleIke
04-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, it'll be a good bit of work, but really cool in the end. I say go for it.

I'm sure you know all of this, but,

The front of those 4runners require a lot of plating and bracing to run leafs, since, AFAIK, they have a good "crumple" zone which many have found to crack without bracing with the front hangar.

Are you planning on running a waggy axle, or converting to Pass drop and going Toy?

I believe that with the toy you can use this:

http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_103_105&products_id=34

And fairly sure the exhaust has to get routed over to the driver side too.

I like it! Get er done!

:weld: :thumb:

Bikeman
04-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I know some in the Toyota community that wheel their IFS off road more than moderately, but there is just too much junk to break and I'm sure Justin want to be locked up front and not blowin' up CV's. Not worth debating...

Squishy!
04-18-2009, 03:30 PM
But, just as a side note, totally off topic, front lockers keep CV's intact much longer than open diffs do.

Talk to Jaderunner about that. no front lock and never blown a CV. as soon as guys go to a front locker they seem to have issues. because the force HAS to go through the side that is planted rather than all the force being transmitted through the free-wheeling side it puts too much stress on the splines. Ask DaughterofRomer about that one.

Here's the truck pretty much as ishttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=330933&l=9679da3e75&id=1362273282

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=330931&l=63278b088d&id=1362273282

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=330932&l=6b3a661443&id=1362273282

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=330883&l=1db4d8e301&id=1362273282

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=330884&l=4f85944f80&id=1362273282

nakman
04-18-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm going to vote on the side of just do a 2-3" lift on the runner, sliders, 33's and call it good. then run 85% of the trails in Colorado, and enjoy the challenge. look at Jaderunner's truck, or Rachel's, or Seldom Seen's... hard to find a trail we run as a club that those can't do, and I think they all have a nice balance between built yet still drivable and :Princess:-friendly.

But for the occasional time you do and you want to beat on something take the truck out.

AxleIke
04-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Back to the topic on hand,

Justin, what axle will you use?

If you decide to swap, please put up a build thread...I gotta have mini stuff to drool over!!!!!! :D

AxleIke
04-18-2009, 04:04 PM
You know what, this is not an IFS thread, my apologies to Justin. I'm deleting my posts. This isn't the place.

Bikeman
04-18-2009, 04:13 PM
I am not either going to get into the debate. Justin will want to be locked up front. He and his father have a truck now with a solid axle for moderate to heavy wheeling. He will not want to go back. He is just a solid axle kind of guy:D.

Squishy!
04-18-2009, 04:28 PM
You know what, this is not an IFS thread, my apologies to Justin. I'm deleting my posts. This isn't the place.

Hey no prob. :D I like tangents I found it interesting to be honest.

He is just a solid axle kind of guy:D.

It's true. I've learned to wheel on IFS, but as soon and that SAS was under my truck it was never coming off. Well except for what this thread details... :rolleyes:. But we'll see. I'm not 100% convinced to do it yet. I agree with Wes and Co. about saving my money and investing, especially now since it may be a really good time to start investing. But one thing is for sure, my trucks are to me what art is to my brother. I'll never be quite satisfied with what I've built and it can always be better than what it is now.

I think too that I shoot for something as cool as my dad's truck even though I can't really afford it yet. This project, however, would be way cool.

So, sorry about the blog. :blah: but it's good to have feedback from all sides.

Squishy!
04-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Dunno, my experience has been the exact opposite. Shrug. A locked axle will let you take stuff with less momentum, which goes a long way to preserving what is generally acknowledged as the biggest pile of dog poo ever known to man, the IFS front end. Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it.

Ya that was freakin hilarious btw. lmao. :lmao:

also a very true story I'm sure

RockRunner
04-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Build it and they will come!:cool:!! Seriously I had a 2nd gen 4Runner that I build to crawl and a DD, worked fine. The extras are very nice, I remember being at 2nd CCM and people wanting to sit in my truck to get some AC.:bowdown::D

We drive our $runner around on 37's and it drives fine, if it had your dad's motor in it I would drive it a lot more:( As you get older you appreciate comfort more over the hard core look. You can still wheel Pritchett with AC and a sunroof just as well as a hard core pick up all cut to ...........well you know.

My vote build it and build it well.:thumb:

Bikeman
04-18-2009, 04:40 PM
If FJBRADY (Steve Brady, who wheeled with us at Slaughterhouse in his FJ cruiser) see's this thread and my opinions on this subject, he may return the nice Giant Trance mountain bike I just sold him:eek:

Most mouth watering: An FJ Cruiser with All-Pro's SAS kit:thumb:.

Bikeman
04-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Build it and they will come!:cool:!! Seriously I had a 2nd gen 4Runner that I build to crawl and a DD, worked fine. The extras are very nice, I remember being at 2nd CCM and people wanting to sit in my truck to get some AC.:bowdown::D

We drive our $runner around on 37's and it drives fine, if it had your dad's motor in it I would drive it a lot more:( As you get older you appreciate comfort more over the hard core look. You can still wheel Pritchett with AC and a sunroof just as well as a hard core pick up all cut to ...........well you know.

My vote build it and build it well.:thumb:

C'mon Justin. Picture:

Supercharger whinin'
Ice cold AC blowin'
Stock 4-link flexin'
Baby on board sippin' a ba-ba
Wife catchin' rays out the sunroof
All four wheels touchin' the ground
No CV's a poppin'

FJBRADY
04-18-2009, 05:14 PM
If FJBRADY (Steve Brady, who wheeled with us at Slaughterhouse in his FJ cruiser) see's this thread and my opinions on this subject, he may return the nice Giant Trance mountain bike I just sold him:eek:

Most mouth watering: An FJ Cruiser with All-Pro's SAS kit:thumb:.

Ahhhh caught you Mike.....the bike looks great in my garage until the trails dry out, as for returning it, no way. Thank you for all your help today at the bike shop!!!!

As for a SAS on the FJC, I have it road mapped but need to pay it off first......

bh4rnnr
04-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Recently I've been very frustrated and overwhelmed with my pickup. It hasn't turned out the way I had pictured and it needs a lot of work (and money) to get it there. So I've been considering swapping the solid front axle and suspension from the truck to the 4runner. The Runner would be an awesome adventure rig and good for the (eventual) family. Like an 80, but smaller with the SAS and have 5.29's already set up with a front locker too. Basically I'd be turning two trucks into one and sacrificing the pickup in the process. I've always liked the SAS 3rd gens and [I think] Brian Ellinger sells most of the stuff for cross over steering, etc.

So I'm in need of some feedback from the wheeling community on my self induced unrest...

I say to build the pickup into an all around wheeler, and keep the 'runner as a DD. The mini is gonna be cheaper to build. Throw some Longs/Chromo/Locker and 5.29's in the front and hit the trail.:blah:

You just have to remember that it takes time to build a truck right, i'm currently looking at two years out to be finished with the 4runner.

:beer::beer:

Uncle Ben
04-18-2009, 07:11 PM
You just have to remember that it takes time to build a truck right, i'm currently looking at least two years before I can pay Profitt to finish the 4runner.

:beer::beer:

Fixed it for you! ;) :lmao::lmao:

bh4rnnr
04-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Fixed it for you! ;) :lmao::lmao:

Hmm, toshay!

P.S; Hows Wild Rice doing:hill:

:beer:

farnhamstj
04-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Perry does, "finished with the 4runner," mean you're gonna be selling it? cause that's how I read it. Besides I don't know anyone that's "finished" with their truck and still owns it.

Justin if you have the resources and the other half allows you to have two rigs, then keep them both. Otherwise build a comfortable family do it all rig. SAS, gear, and lock the 4runner. Keep it on 33's. What if you replaced the mini-ifs with some LC-ifs. Now that would be cool.

Uncle Ben
04-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Hmm, toshay!

P.S; Hows Wild Rice doing:hill:

:beer:

Outstanding....ready for Tuesday wheeling?

rover67
04-18-2009, 11:30 PM
if I had your mini truck and the runner, I'd keep them both.. especially if they are both paid for...

I Daily Drive my truck... but honestly, when I get in Allisons jetta I start to think I want more of a tame truck for DD. Maybe a stock mini with a turbo... lightly built to wheel.. with lockers... and 35's... and on board air... and a marlin box... and big gears.. and.. well... nevermind.

It never ends.

subzali
04-19-2009, 01:30 AM
I say keep 'em both. Get away from them and do something else for a while (climb mountains, go on a road trip, or something), then after some time away from them it'll all be good again. I about had it with my Land Cruiser (and my pickup) this past fall/winter, but I didn't drive the Cruiser hardly at all except when I really needed to, and avoided driving the pickup when I shouldn't have, and now that I'm (hopefully) past a couple issues with my DD I'm actually fairly comfortable again with what I have as far as transportation. The pickup does what it needs to efficiently, and the Cruiser is somewhat enjoyable to drive again since I don't have to drive it every day.

Having said that, I DO have my eye on a 2003 or so GMC Sierra 2500 extended cab short bed 4x4 for a replacement DD. Higher payload, 6.0L V8 power, and 4x4 plus trading in an 18year old vehicle for a 5 year old vehicle might not be a bad thing. And I see ARB makes a front bumper that'll fit an M12000 winch, and a rear locker for it too...hmm.

Yep, never ends. Doesn't matter what you drive. But I still say keep what you have, take a break if you can from working on them and do something else for a bit, and then when you come back I think you'll be happy with it. Time and the patience to wait out the good things are key, at least that's what I've been learning.