PDA

View Full Version : adding electrical to pop-up

timmbuck2
04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
want to add some electricity to my popup, and charge from my truck. anyone done this or can school me or point me in the right direction? thanks

t

Tch2fly
04-20-2009, 07:02 AM
So you have no 12v electrical at all?

Should be straight forward, some wire, circuit breakers and the right plugs between the truck and trailer (I run a 7-pin).
I'm happy to let you take a peak at my set-up. I charge the trailer off my Aux battery power (and if the trailer battery were to die I can run it from the truck)

Pretty good site that youmight want to checkPopupportal Forums (http://www.popupportal.com/fhome.asp)
(kinda like the IH8MUD of Pop-ups)

timmbuck2
04-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Don't think so...it is *old*. Thanks, when could I take a look? Would be cool to try and scramble to do it for CM. I am camping up in the canyons all week...

T

So you have no 12v electrical at all?

Should be straight forward, some wire, circuit breakers and the right plugs between the truck and trailer (I run a 7-pin).
I'm happy to let you take a peak at my set-up. I charge the trailer off my Aux battery power (and if the trailer battery were to die I can run it from the truck)

Pretty good site that youmight want to checkPopupportal Forums (http://www.popupportal.com/fhome.asp)
(kinda like the IH8MUD of Pop-ups)

Tch2fly
04-20-2009, 08:33 AM
You can see it any evening this week, let me know when you can drop by.

The truck is always at the house ... the trailer is stored in a garage (just a couple mins away but easy to look at) I will likely have it at my house on Friday.

nakman
04-20-2009, 03:06 PM
You want 12v at CM? or 120? why not just an extension cord and a power strip? you got an RV site, right? All you need is the drier cord adapter, and they'll sell you one there if you can't get over to Camping World.

timmbuck2
04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
not exactly sure what I will need power for, just want to be prepared.

I am camping out in the sticks for CM, not in town. :)

corsair23
04-20-2009, 04:06 PM
not exactly sure what I will need power for, just want to be prepared.

I am camping out in the sticks for CM, not in town. :)

How about 12v marine battery and an inverter? Realistically that is all most popup campers have for use when camping out in the "wild". Unless you have a generator of course. Some LED lamps and you should be set for quite a long time.

Charge the battery at home before leaving and you'd be fine for a couple nights at least, probably a lot more if you are just running some lights and maybe a radio. If you want to charge the battery off the 80 while you are driving then you need to do more work but it isn't like you'll be able to keep the 80 hooked up to the popup while you are camping...

While you are in a campground with power what Tim suggested should work fine.

What all do you have to power, if anything, today? Do you have water on board with a pump and sink? Gas heater with a fan?

The first year we drug our popup to Moab we camped in an area with no power. The battery ran the interior lights, pump for the water, and the fan for the heater for 3 nights with no problems.

timmbuck2
04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
propane heat, and don't expect to have to use it next week...little sink with hand pump...guess when I think about it I just have lights I need to power...and I have a few battery operated LED's so maybe not even that. I would like a better fridge option, I just have a cooler basically...

Tch2fly
04-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a bunch of work right now with no big gain.
If you are going to get an ARB/Engel fridge it would make sense to add a complete a 12v system. You could then add lighting as needed. The big draw on pop-ups is the heater fan and without that you could go along time on a deep cycle battery. If you do mount a battery, adding a charging circuit to your trailer wiring is pretty easy.

but it isn't like you'll be able to keep the 80 hooked up to the popup while you are camping...

Yes, yes you can :D
I actually have two ways (3 if you count jumper cables;)) to run the trailer off the aux battery in the 80. I have enough wire that can plug in the regular trailer harness when the trailer is open or I have a harness I made that plugs into the trailer wiring at the battery disconnect.
I also have a solar panel that can provide a trickle charge to extend my battery use for a day or so.

Freeze your butt off some fall night when the battery dies because the :Princess: left on the porch light .... you will make sure you have options too:thumb:

farnhamstj
04-20-2009, 07:58 PM
propane heat, and don't expect to have to use it next week...little sink with hand pump...guess when I think about it I just have lights I need to power...and I have a few battery operated LED's so maybe not even that. I would like a better fridge option, I just have a cooler basically...

Is there a fan for the propane heater? it seem strange to me that it doesn't have 12v power. Are there lights on the ceiling interior they should all run off 12v.

If you are after 110v then you need a power inverter wired to the 12v battery. Alternatively, you can plug in an extention cord if there is power at the campground. When "free camping" We just have 12v.

My camper came with 12v prewired to run the lights on the ceiling, one light by the front door, propane heater fan, fridge if I choose to run it on 12v, and water pump for the tap.
It's got a 110 to 12v adaptor/power supply built in that runs everything 12v automatically if I plug in to an outlet. I've also got 110v outlets but they only function when pluged in to 110v.

For your fridge. It is possible to buy a 3 way fridge and install it in your camper. You can select the energy source used to cool. Propane, 110v,12v.
I would go Engel 12v mounted in the truck(if you have the space)

You have the basic trailer. 5gallon water tank and not much frills. But is there no provisions for 12v power?

Mike, did you figure out the high pressure/lowpressure AUX stove thing?

For anyone that doesn't yet have a camper, they are just one more toy to mod. Plenty of oportunities for LED's and all sorts of other mods.

Corbet
04-20-2009, 08:00 PM
If you want to charge a battery in the camper I'd look at it like a dual battery system under your hood. Use an isolator or hell roaring system of what ever to charge the camper battery while driving.

Another option would be to have a small solar panel that you set up in camp to constantly charge the battery in camp.

As far as adding a 120v AC campground hook up I'm no expert but I'd start at camping world or online equivalent.

Tch2fly
04-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Mike, did you figure out the high pressure/lowpressure AUX stove thing?

Nope, too many conflicting opinions on how to do it when I was gung-ho. Honestly I haven't thought much about it for this year since it isn't looking like the trailer will see a lot of use this summer.