PDA

View Full Version : Digital TV

DaveInDenver
04-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Anyone else notice that a bunch of broadcast stations cut their analog signals recently? I turned on the TV over the weekend and no longer had channels 7, 9, 12 or 20. Also last night channel 31 was gone and 2 must have switched to low power transmitter, although both were back OK later last night. Does anyone else even still rock their old rabbit ears and refuse to pay for their propaganda? Although we do still get the Netflix... :-) BTW, speaking of Netflix, we watched the first season of a Showtime series called 'Weeds'. I like it, funny show.

Jacket
04-20-2009, 08:58 AM
I assume this conversion didn't take you by surprise....please tell me it didn't. ;)

I've been on cable for a while. I feel like I get seriously robbed every month, but there's a handful of channels that I really need - even if its for only a few hours a week. Seriously robbed....

60wag
04-20-2009, 09:01 AM
I've never paid for the priviledge of watching commercials and continue to use my rooftop antenna. It works pretty well for the new digital signals. Unfortunately the picture quality is better than the program quality.

Jacket
04-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Actually, yeah, it sort of did. I thought it was supposed to happen in February and it never did. Shrug.

Huh. It seems like every time we watch the news they were talking about it. It kind of became white noise after a while - maybe that's part of the problem...

wesintl
06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Anyone think of something useful for a 15 year old 25" Magnavox?

give it to the kids next door :hill:

Groucho
06-14-2009, 02:40 PM
We have no TV either. Right now channel 4 and channel 6 are looping directions on how to buy, connect and setup the digital TV converter box.

Dave, not surprisingly, I agree with the statement "we're done with voluntarily turning our brains to mush". If my kids are going to inherit the problems of this country, I want them sober enough to realize that these problems are really problems and that they weren't part of the original plan for this country. By keeping them away from the "Real World/Road Rules" and the "Desperate HouseWives" and the "Biggest Loser", and teaching them about brewing their own beer, grow and cook their own food, fix their own mechanical problems (to include auto, plumbing and sewing) and how to clean load, zero and shoot weapons I hope to keep their minds open with original thought instead of becoming another mindless automotant.

Number 201 reporting for duty!

Romer
06-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I hope to keep their minds open with original thought instead of becoming another mindless automotant.

I hope it works out for you. Your kids are not old enough for you to understand peer pressure and how that can effect kids as they are growing. Some teachers even give homework to write a report about a show thats on.

Be careful that not having a TV doesn't make them different enought to be excluded as the wierd kids. I am not picking at you, just sharing a perspective from having raised two kids.

I remember a kid in Sarah's class who read all the time. She got use to reading because she didnt watch TV. She was excluded in elementary school, but seemed to be included a bit by High School.

It also could have been they made her feel different at first and then she closed in as a result.

My experiance is all the great thoughts and ideals we have when our kids are little, become impractical when faced with the real world of illogical and cruel school children.

Course you could Home school them, but then they would be more isolated.

Groucho
06-14-2009, 08:27 PM
I hope it works out for you. Your kids are not old enough for you to understand peer pressure and how that can effect kids as they are growing. Some teachers even give homework to write a report about a show thats on.

Be careful that not having a TV doesn't make them different enought to be excluded as the wierd kids. I am not picking at you, just sharing a perspective from having raised two kids.

I remember a kid in Sarah's class who read all the time. She got use to reading because she didnt watch TV. She was excluded in elementary school, but seemed to be included a bit by High School.

It also could have been they made her feel different at first and then she closed in as a result.

My experiance is all the great thoughts and ideals we have when our kids are little, become impractical when faced with the real world of illogical and cruel school children.

Course you could Home school them, but then they would be more isolated.

Romer,
Thanks for the great advice. Believe me, I know peer pressure and wanting to fit in are very high on the priorities no matter who someone is when they are in a social arena like school.

Andrea and I chose to follow a more difficult path of having less so that our kids could have more, with respects to where they went to school. Ih8 the public school system with a passion. Not because of the teachers or the curriculum, but because of the BS bureaucracy that seems to be a never ending cycle of who's to blame for whats wrong. Take away the ability of the teachers to teach and the responsibility of the student to learn and then what have you got? The US public school system. We chose something different, and we'll see how that goes.

Jacket
06-14-2009, 09:00 PM
No kidding Romer - school changes everything. I don't know how many times I heard my 1st grade daughter say this year: "Daddy - I'm the only kid in school who doesn't have a Wii!" :rolleyes:

Romer
06-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Nathaniel, I wish you luck.

I just remember hating "the man" and then woke up one morning a few years ago and figured out, now I am "the man". Jeeesssh that makes you feel old

Kind of like that Sprint commercial a few years ago where the guy got the new plan and was happy he could stick it to the man and his assistant said "sir, you are the man"

The point of this dirt road is your perspective, at least mine has, changes as your life situation changes.

In my 20's I was pissed about contributing to Social Security. Now I hope it stays afloat long enough for me to collect

I was convinced that by talking to my kids, I could explain why not to do things and what to stay away from. I found that in the teenage years, the parent has about 20% influence and everyone else has 80%. I think wheeling with the girls brought me to 75/25

I was pissed at the bureaucracy in senior management. Now that I am in senior management, I find the problems are above my level. Funny about that one

And one a bit on the humorous side, when I was a young engineer I was always sure the stewardesses on the plane were young and hot sitting on the guys laps in first class. 20 years later I fly enough for free upgrades and found out they don't and its still the same stewardesses, just 20 years older

The biggest lesson I learned from raiisng kids, is when your kids are small, let them pick themselves up. Let them learn to figure things out on their own. It builds self confidance for later on when you have little influence and keeps the peer pressure at bay. Peer pressure impacts those with the least self confidance. It eventually comes down to them and having to figure out whats right and whats not when you are not around or when you have little influence.

Now back to the thread

Dave- I cant believe a total EE geek like you doesnt have all the latest gadgets.

Hulk
06-14-2009, 11:14 PM
My parents are both big readers. When I was growing up, we watched 1 hour of TV a week, plus a few hours of Saturday morning cartoons. Usually the shows we did get to watch were Sesame Street, The Electric Co., and Zoom. The TV was dark almost all the time -- my parents didn't watch it, and neither did we.

In 1976, I was 11 years old. One of the kids at my school did a double "thumbs up" and said, "Ayyyyyy." All the other kids laughed, but I was puzzled. Finally, the kid said, "It's the Fonz. Y'know, from Happy Days?"

I had never heard of this show. When I went home and asked about it, my parents watch a few episodes with me to make sure it was OK. That soon became our allotment of TV every week. We watched Fantasy Island too. When Battlestar Gallactica came on in the late 70s, that was our show.

My grades remained high, and my brain did not turn to mush.

However, I still don't watch much TV. I don't even know why we still pay this expensive DirecTV bill. The Tivo part is nice -- we can watch Jon Stewart whenever is convenient. :thumb: I'm still out of the loop, but now I don't really care. People at work talk about American Idol and Dancing With the Stars, but I have never watched these shows. I think I can live without them.

However, I know many of the latest memes on the Interweb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0), so I guess my brain is turning to mush anyway.

Hulk
06-14-2009, 11:54 PM
I love gadgets. Some of them I use for years, some of them I play with for a while and lose interest. But I still like 'em all the same.

I'll start with your checklist and add some:

digital TV YES
satellite TV YES
cable TV NO (don't need Sat TV and Cable TV)
flat screen YES
Blu-Ray YES, although I dropped my Blu-Ray service when Netflix increased the price recently. It upconverts regular DVDs and they still look great.
GPS box YES, but it's an older model :( This is probably the gadget that I use the least.
digital SLR YES
air conditioning YES, but I don't like it very much and try to use it as little as possible. We installed it when Karie was pregnant with Charlie and was going to endure a summer pregnancy at home.
iPod YES, several, including my original second gen iPod (still works).
Wii YES. Well worth the money. The funnest videogame system every invented.
XBOX YES, but no XBOX360. My XBOX has Linux installed on it along with XBox Media Center. Cool mod.
PlayStation Not really - I still have my PS1, but no PS2 or 3.
Tivo and/or DVR - YES, love it.
PC or Mac - BOTH.

Do they make my life better? Not really, I suppose. I still enjoy a well-written book more than using any of the above. But regardless, I do enjoy all the electronic gadgetry. I don't buy any of it to "keep up" with anyone -- I just like the stuff. I love watching a movie on my HDTV. If I turn down the lights, it's almost as good as being at the movies.

Groucho
06-15-2009, 07:30 AM
I love a well-written book. I love watching a movie on my HDTV. If I turn down the lights, it's almost as good as being at the movies.

Fixed it so it says what I would have said. The movies comment is awesome because movies are getting wayyyyy to expensive to justify. 10 movies a year and you bought the AppleTV...

Jacket
06-15-2009, 08:36 AM
We saw Up on Friday night in 3D. $45 for the 4 of us. :eek: A great movie - highly recommended for any age group!

Corbet
06-15-2009, 09:00 AM
The biggest lesson I learned from raiisng kids, is when your kids are small, let them pick themselves up. Let them learn to figure things out on their own. It builds self confidance for later on when you have little influence and keeps the peer pressure at bay. Peer pressure impacts those with the least self confidance. It eventually comes down to them and having to figure out whats right and whats not when you are not around or when you have little influence.

Ken, thanks for that one.

As far as cable TV I'm with most. If it were not my desire to see the Packer Game every weekend I would not see the need for my Direct TV. I watch little TV every week other than some news in the morning before work and a very few select shows nightly.

Romer
06-15-2009, 11:34 AM
There are some quality shows on. We watch Fringe, 24 and Heros

I do enjoy the large TV with surrond sound for watching movies.

Comcast has the free on demand feature with 100's of movies and specials vailable for free anytime.

Even with all that, I probably watch about 3-4 shows a week and about 2-3 movies. Some weekends Sarah and I do get into a movie craze and watch all the back to the futures or Matrix or a couple of War movies

The DVR feature on Comcast is great. If I do want to watch a show or movie thats on, I just program it for new episodes and I never have to worry about it.

Red_Chili
06-15-2009, 01:07 PM
digital TV nope
satellite TV YES, cheapest possible package with HBO and Showtime included in a special promo. Haven't watched those much. Recorded Australia, pretty cool. Recorded No Country for Old Men - great characters, HORRIBLE STORY WITH A BAD ENDING, don't bother.
cable TV nope
flat screen nope
Blu-Ray nope
GPS box YES, darn handy hunting and I like it for motorcycle trips.
digital SLR nope, just a digital point and shoot.
air conditioning YES and we love it. Super efficient. We also have an attic fan. AC is less dusty. Haven't used either all that much this year so far.
iPod nope, son has one though.
Wii nope, no video games at all.
XBOX nope
PlayStation nope
Tivo and/or DVR - YES, love it.
PC or Mac - PC. It lets me work from home on what would otherwise be my off time... or else I would have to go to the office to use the one at work.
Dogs- YES, now there's entertainment.

Groucho
06-15-2009, 01:26 PM
What is the last movie you went to see? Trying to remember for us. I think it was a Star Wars movie, but that is because of the afore mentioned lack of a big screen and associated surround sound.
The Hangover (http://hangovermovie.warnerbros.com/). It was great!! $22 for a ticket, popcorn and a soda.

Red_Chili
06-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Star Trek. Not worth it. But it was a GREAT movie!!! :lmao:

They actually managed to figure a way to reset the clock, so
a) all the Trekkies can go kiss a Tribble with their critique they didn't get this piece of history right, nor that one... this is wrong... that is wrong...
b) The characters are familiar but somehow they are anything but tired and worn out!
c) The writers have complete creative license within the broad concept. Witness Uhura's boyfriend. Wouldn't a guessed that one in a hunnert years.

To really niggle... Spock Younger was a bit too easy to push around though. At least Kirk wasn't Shatner-esque.

Looking forward to the next dozen sequels!!! :lmao:

Hulk
06-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I thought it was an OK movie, we gave it 4 of 5 stars on Netflix at least. I did find myself hoping he'd get away with the money, so I suppose I was genuinely pulled in by the characters.

Yeah, I dug No Country For Old Men. The book was written by Cormac McCarthy, so it was no surprise that it was so dark.

rover67
06-17-2009, 11:15 AM
entertainment without a TV.

Just order the catalog, it's pretty entertaining itself..

http://www.lindsaybks.com/

treerootCO
06-17-2009, 11:41 AM
....I guess his English wasn't good enough to understand the sarcasm.

Use cliches whenever possible. Tell him you need to get your ducks in a row.... "what do ducks have to do with this?" True story....:hill:

corsair23
06-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the post :thumb: - I appreciate you doing that personally and I am glad that all ended relatively well.

I will be the first to admit and agree with you however on Qwest's customer service issues at times :( - That is one of the things that they still need to improve upon and I can completely understand your frustrations as I've been there too and it is no easier for me even though I work for Qwest. I've sent many emails all the way up to the CEO stressing customer service must be a top priority. I think Qwest has some great products and when they work they work GREAT! But, I'm sure most simply dread the day something goes wrong and you get into the customer "service" loop. I don't blame you from wanting them to check the line first before dropping the $$ on a new modem...I would too. Glad you are back in business and I hope you remain on as a customer because that helps keep me employed :D

corsair23
06-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Anyway, the phone support guy was just not all that easy to work with, but in fairness the whole conversation started off on the wrong foot and went bad from there.

There is a reason many companies, including Qwest, are starting to return to using agents located in the US :rolleyes: - I fully understand your aggravation...I heard similar, first hand from my sister, who finally got so fed up she dumped Qwest and went with Comcast for everything (phone, internet, cable). I send off a nasty email to the head of the DSL Engineering Group stating that if I couldn't save my own sister from switching how in the he!! do they expect us to convince other customers to stay...It got some people's attention but I'm sure it has long been forgotten by now...

Oh, and back to the topic. I have a Casio hand held TV that no longer works because it ain't digital...Want it? :D :lmao: