PDA

View Full Version : help with 22r

Rogue Leader
04-20-2009, 08:55 AM
First this isn't my truck. It is a friends in my wemt class. He has a 1989 mini with 180000 miles. The previous owner stated that he rebuilt the engine at 150000 miles but it doesn't look that way. My friend has been experiencing what I would call a fuel problem. At a stop in neutral the truck slowly dies. It is a sputtering death not a straight cutoff. He also experiences a problem going up small grades. The car loses power and he is forced to drive in first or second geAr. It sounds like he also has a hole in his exhaust.

Thanks
SeAn jones

DaveInDenver
04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Probably unrelated, those two problems. But maybe not.

The hole in the exhaust is likely just that, the factory exhaust manifold often cracks on the 22R. It's a 2-into-1 Y-pipe and it'll sound like a ticking under the driver's floor board. This is common. It's just cast pot metal, but can be brazed with success I believe. Welding them is usually just a temp fix, it will crack again. Most people just go with an aftermarket header, though.

My first guess on the power loss is the fuel filter needs replacing. If the engine was rebuilt it should have been replaced, but dunno. They are good for a long time (you know, like 100K, point is they don't get R&R every year) normally, but they do clog and need to be replaced eventually. Could also be the fuel pump or pressure regulator.

Might be other things, like the throttle body needs to be cleaned, broken vacuum hose, issues with the AFM, TPS, etc. But I would start with the fuel delivery system and move on from there.

BTW, he can pull the ECU codes himself. The 22R-E supports the self diagnosis by counting pulses using the check engine light. If he needs the FSM pages he can find them online. I would bet there is a code stored related to the stalling problem.

AxleIke
04-20-2009, 11:52 AM
That just about exactly describes my truck when my timing chain jumped a tooth. I had no power, and could not keep the thing running. I would rev it up, and then it would just sputter off and die.

Uncle Ben
04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
That just about exactly describes my truck when my timing chain jumped a tooth. I had no power, and could not keep the thing running. I would rev it up, and then it would just sputter off and die.

If you would have let the turbo cool it wouldn't have happened! :eek::lmao::lmao::lmao::bolt:

AxleIke
04-20-2009, 01:28 PM
If you would have let the turbo cool it wouldn't have happened! :eek::lmao::lmao::lmao::bolt:

Har har.

Wrong truck.

nuclearlemon
04-20-2009, 03:31 PM

mine did the same...it jumped during a major rainstorm and i thought it was bogging so bad because of the deep water i was driving through. would get it started, but it wouldn't go anywhere.

leiniesred
04-21-2009, 02:53 PM
I vote carburetor full of gum.

Air Randy
04-21-2009, 04:06 PM
The symptoms he descibes are exactly what Rockrunners rig was doing in Moab a few weeks ago. Sometimes it ran fine especially at higher rpm, ran like crap and eventually died if allowed to idle. When it was running like crap, had no power going up hills it had that "exhaust leak' type of sound aslthough the exhaust was not leaking.

It took Robbie about 2 minutes to diagnose it as a defective throttle position sensor (TPS). Once Tom replaced it and calibrated it, it ran fine.

DaveInDenver
04-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I vote carburetor full of gum.
That would be pretty cool on a 22R-E (he said 1989). :-) Although a TB and upper plenum full of that PCV/fuel/dirt goop would be about as bad.

AxleIke
04-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Toyota sold the carbureted motor through 95 I believe.

DaveInDenver
04-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Oh, my mistake. I thought it was only through 1988.

AxleIke
04-22-2009, 12:34 AM
I could totally be wrong. Just something I thought I remembered.

Uncle Ben
04-22-2009, 12:49 AM

Carbs and OBD don't mix....you must mean mids 80's don't ya?

Red_Chili
04-22-2009, 12:19 PM
I can confirm Toyota sold carb'ed 22Rs past '88. I had an '89 carb'ed 2WD.
They were available through '95:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine

DaveInDenver
04-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I can confirm Toyota sold carb'ed 22Rs past '88. I had an '89 carb'ed 2WD.
They were available through '95:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine
Not that I doubt Wikipedia, but I dont' remember there being coverage of a carb in my 1991 FSM or owner's manual. But my books are just for Federal and not California, 2WD and 4WD pickups.

subzali
04-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I have seen a 1991 carb'd 22R-powered truck for sale at some point. Not sure, but I assume it was stock and OEM.

TIMZTOY
04-25-2009, 07:49 PM
i would borrow a fuel pressure tester from your local parts store. they rent them.. or local mechanic "buddy" and perform a fuel pressure test. see pressure just as you prime the pump before starting.. and also with the truck running and then allow it to die while keeping an eye on the gauge, (the pressure should always stay with in few psi the entier time) that will tell you if its the fuel system or sensor issue.. and the fuel filter should be replaced every 30k on the older trucks.. 100k on the new late model but even if i owned a 2009 i would never allow the ff to fo 100k. expectually with the slowlly decreasing quality of gas. some pro's reccomend replacing it every oil change for a cleaner running motor and better mpg.. i tryed this for 20k and did not notice anything significant from changing at every 30k