PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it pays to pay more...

Red_Chili
04-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Alcan springs are definitely the springs of luxury. They ride great, the flex like mad, they can be ordered in any configuration or lift or axle location or weight rating you want... and they are especially good at draining your bank account.

But just once.

You can get All-Pro or Trail Gear or whatever springs MUCH cheaper. But if you roll a 4Runner the main leaf of any of them will break if subjected to a lot of side force.

When that happened, they looked up my records based on an order number and sent me out a matched pair of main leafs, two years ago. Darn handy. And cheap.

So I was under the truck to change the oil and tighten the alternator belt and look to my right... and see a broken short leaf. Awwwwwwwwwww crap.

Called up Alcan... and they no longer have my record, not so's they could find it anyway. But get this: if I show up Friday morning at 8AM at Alcan Spring in Grand Junction, they will R&R my leaf spring, make me a new leaf, and get me on the road by 4PM. And it will cost me..............

Fitty bucks.

I had to have him repeat that to me a couple times. Maybe I missed something, but he knows I will be driving there with the truck and will need to camp in his parking lot Thursday night.

Wow.

Which means I can have him look at the front leafs REEEEEEL close too.

I guess when all you do is leaf springs you can practically do them with your eyes closed. Great guys. So is my new boss, who used to be a wheeler and knows all about leaf spring foibles - and who approved the extra day of vacation. Heck, I'll probably be working remotely from the truck stop down the street anyway... LOL

Rock Dog
04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
I love the Alcan springs i have had for over 5 years now, but have been unable to get the rear Orbit eyes apart. Now that they own the Orbit eyes as well i should see if i can get them to look at replacing the darn rear squeakers.... I don't mind buying new ones if they can be greased. Then people would not hear me rolling down the trail from 1/4 mile away...

Bikeman
04-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Sounds like Alcan has the customer service most others lack.

Beater
04-20-2009, 08:06 PM
it's why I put the alcan add on's to the t100

RockRunner
04-20-2009, 09:35 PM
They Have always been that way, on my first 85 4runner they let me send a set of springs back that were too low. I asked for 4 inches and after settling they were down o three. Six months later they said no problem send them back and we'll get you some new ones.

Once I settle on what I want out of my 4Runner I will be ordering them again.

Red_Chili
04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Well dangit, I misunderstood (I figured I had so I called and rechecked). No, they will not remove the leaf spring, that part is up to me. Yes, they will make a new leaf and replace it in the pack for under fitty bucks.

So it goes from an unbelievable deal to merely a great deal, and I get to carry jack stands, a floor jack, and some 12" long landscaping timbers to add height to the jack stands to hold the truck up all day.

Oh well, I don't get to sit back and drink Pina Coladas while they sweat, I actually have to do some work. I will adapt... somehow... :( :( :(

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

DaveInDenver
04-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Sorta like? We even set up camp with our hoopty.

http://armbrusterweb.com/tripsfolder/longtripsfolder/rubithon08folder/files/page75_21.jpg

Red_Chili
04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Hmmm... I am two spare tires short. Unless you wanna join me Friday in Da Junk? Hmmm???

ElliottB
04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I guess that's one thing OME can't offer.... unless you live down under.