PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Unsticking Hood Release!

Evrgrnmtnman
04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
My hood is stuck closed. Tried WD40, Lubricants, the hood release won't unlatch the hood???? Any suggestions? 88 Toy Pickup?

DaveInDenver
04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
My hood is stuck closed. Tried WD40, Lubricants, the hood release won't unlatch the hood???? Any suggestions? 88 Toy Pickup?
Did the cable break or come undone on the latch? I've screwed up getting the cable housing snapped back in the bracket under the dash after removing the lower plastic section, which kept the hood from popping open.

Evrgrnmtnman
04-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Did the cable break or come undone on the latch? I've screwed up getting the cable housing snapped back in the bracket under the dash after removing the lower plastic section, which kept the hood from popping open.

Haven't broke the cable......put my weight into the hood and that didn't work......

Hulk
04-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Have someone hold the release all the way open in the cab while you futz with it in front of the vehicle.

Evrgrnmtnman
04-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Have someone hold the release all the way open in the cab while you futz with it in front of the vehicle.

Have tried that while standing on the front bumper using my foot, leaning against the hood, shoving against it. I think a coat hanger will be my next try. See if I can hook it to the latch and pull it..........

theboomboom
04-21-2009, 03:17 PM
whatever you do, don't go the brute force route, DAMHIK...

i'm not at all familiar with the setup on a mini, but if you may need to consider unbolting and removing the locking mechanism itself to resolve the issue.

Evrgrnmtnman
04-22-2009, 08:11 AM
To follow up!
After using a hammer and a metal tap rod, and just doing some light tapping on the hood latch housing. It dislodged a small bolt that fallen in between the release mechanism. So, a foreign bolt was causing the problem that was lodged in there, but no more...Everything works fine, and your right! Don't try forcing the cable to open the hood.......