PDA

View Full Version : Which clutch to use?

Air Randy
04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I currently have the F.5 motor with the 3 finger style clutch and flywheel. I installed that clutch new (Toyota OEM parts) about 300 miles ago.

I will be completing the rebuild of a 2F to drop into my 40 soon after CM. I have a freshly resurfaced 2F flywheel that uses the 2F style diaphragm clutch. The question is, which style clutch and fly wheel would you recommend to use? I have read on Mark's Offroad website that he likes the older 3 finger F style flywheel and clutch because it is heavier overall and gives you slightly better low end torque and lugging ability. However I've heard the newer 2F style clutch & flywheel are less prone to chatter and slippage.

If I stay with the F style clutch/flywheel I can use the near new OEM clutch parts and just pay to have the F flywheel resurfaced, so this is the least expensive. My understanding is the stock 3 finger setup gives you 1400 lbs of clamping load.

If I use the 2F style clutch/flywheel I already have a nice resurfaced flywheel but I will need to buy the 2F pressure plate (OEM $95). My understanding is the disc is the same whether I go with F or 2F style pressure plate so I can use the near new disc I have, correct? That setup will increase the clamp load rating up to 1900 lbs.

So, pros and cons to both approaches? If I go with the 2F style is it worth it to upgrade the clutch disc/pressure plate to one of the heavy duty/performance style units versus going OEM?

treerootCO
04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
I got out the scale for fun and was surprised that both the 3 speed and 4 speed pressure plates weighed in at 25lbs. The 4 speed flywheel is 34lbs and the 3 speed is 37lbs.

subzali
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I've never had a problem with my 2F lugging way down; it always pulls through even at ~100-200 rpm.

Air Randy
04-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Interesting, makes you wonder how much of a difference 3 lbs really makes on the crankshaft? That is almost a 10% difference.

I'm leaning towards the 2F approach since I can re-use my near new disk and throw out bearing and just get the new pressure plate. Slightly less crank weight but smoother engagement with a little more clamping force.