PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need an Alcan spring center pin... tonight!!

ScaldedDog
04-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Title kind of says it all, does anyone have one? Apparantly they have a different head diameter than the common ones, at least according to Denver Spring.

PM me, or call me at three ohhh three, seven oh nine, seven oh, seven four.

Thanks!!

Mark

nuclearlemon
04-21-2009, 05:46 PM
good luck. if you can use a regular one, i got a few, but i never got any from alcan:(

ScaldedDog
04-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks Ige. It turns out that Alcan uses nothing more than metric socket head bolts available at A&A Trading Post. Same markings, same thread, same everything. The nuts are slightly smaller on Alcan's, but that won't affect my application, and I've still got the old one, anyway.

Mark

Beater
04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
I was gonna say the same thing there mark - I thought they were socket heads...

Red_Chili
04-22-2009, 08:47 AM
That's what I use for trail spares... WFLLT.

nakman
04-22-2009, 10:49 AM
William Found Love Last Thursday?

Red_Chili
04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
I wish.

Works Fine Last Long Time.

subzali
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
:lmao: good one Tim!

Bill, I think you working in the computer world leaves some of us behind some times...

:brick:

Red_Chili
04-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Ah, I learned that one back when I could barely navigate a Macintosh.. and never thought I would fill a 10 Meg external hard drive, and 512KB of memory seemed limitless.

And no, I did not ride a brontosaurus to work...

DaveInDenver
04-22-2009, 01:16 PM
And no, I did not ride a brontosaurus to work...
That's only because brontosaurus didn't exist yet and it's sorta hard to fit reigns on the only other existing organism back then, a single-cell protozoa. :-)

Red_Chili
04-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Get off my lawn.

Beater
04-22-2009, 04:35 PM
don't make me pull out my magnetic tape...

PabloCruise
04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Wonderful topic drift here...

What are socket heads?

DaveInDenver
04-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Wonderful topic drift here...

What are socket heads?
Socket cap screw (or bolt).

DaveInDenver
04-23-2009, 11:21 AM
don't make me pull out my magnetic tape...
Magnetic tape? That's not that old. Even I remember using floppies and even that funky Atari 'tape drive' that used plain old cassettes. Now if you'd said something about punch cards, then I would have had to play the "I think I still have the box of cards my dad used back when." But I thankfully, I didn't have to go there.

PabloCruise
04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Socket cap screw (or bolt).

Thanks! Are those different than Allen Head bolt?

Beater
04-23-2009, 12:01 PM
I did punch cards... what of it

subzali
04-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I worked at a place where they still do punch cards...I'm with John :p:

TJ, I think you're basically right. There might be a technical difference in terminology, the socket head cap screw defines the shape of the head and the drive style. You can also get a pan head screw that is an "allen" drive as well, but yes they are both standard "allen" drives.

DaveInDenver
04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I worked at a place where they still do punch cards...I'm with John :p:
CNC machines? They don't count IMO. You have to have done FORTRAN, ALGOL, Cobol with punch cards to demonstrate true ancient nerdiness. I've personally never actually programmed GP computers with punch cards (other than machinery tapes), even the IBM/360 and PDP-11 machines we had back in my younger days at least had terminals and drives. Heck we even had some actual VT100s, so if you were lucky you didn't even have a dumb terminal and could use escape commands. Although mostly we just used PCs with terminal emulators unless you were near an old computer lab or something. My only brush with prehistoric computing would be using FORTRAN77, although technically C is about 30 years old.

TJ, I think you're basically right. There might be a technical difference in terminology, the socket head cap screw defines the shape of the head and the drive style. You can also get a pan head screw that is an "allen" drive as well, but yes they are both standard "allen" drives.
Allen head is our slang word for the fastener, socket cap is just the proper name. But a socket cap could easily use maybe a TORX drive or square drive, so it's not necessarily going to get you what you want from a real fastener supplier.

nakman
04-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Hey I've actually programmed in basic and saved to those cassettee tapes too, Dave.. did you have one of those? Man I bet it's been almost 30 years since I did that, let's see if I still got it

10 type "Hello, what's your name?"
20 input X
30 type "Well hello there, " X " how are you?"
40 input Y
50 type "I'm " Y "too. want to play a game?"
60 input Z
goto 10

used to do that for hours.. dang now look what happened :bolt:

Beater
04-23-2009, 12:45 PM
matt - the stuff dave and I were doing was about the time you were born.. although, I was on the tail end ... I remember having to run language for print commands.. when I went into the army we were on 32xx series..

DaveInDenver
04-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Hey I've actually programmed in basic and saved to those cassettee tapes too, Dave.. did you have one of those?
Yeah, as kids we were pretty cutting edge. We had an Atari 400, Commodore Vic 20, Commodore 64. Our high school had Apple IIe and IIgs machines. My dad still has the Atari 400 with the cassette drive. That was a pretty cool machine, although the membrane keyboard sucked to type on.

nakman
04-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Yup, we had an Apple 400 too. I can still hear the "puc puc puc..." of hittng that keyboard.

DaveInDenver
04-23-2009, 12:50 PM
matt - the stuff dave and I were doing was about the time you were born.. although, I was on the tail end ... I remember having to run language for print commands.. when I went into the army we were on 32xx series..
LOL! Old for Subzali is probably something clunky like a Pentium 2 with a 40 GB HDD and, gasp, no USB! I remember when the AutoCAD lab got all new 486DX4 with Windoze 3.1 machines to replace the plain old 386 and 486 machines. Yeah, that was a very good day in the history of Southeast Missouri industrial technology labs! My second college roommate had a bitchin' 286 machine that we played Tetris and solitaire on all the time, well between CHiPs reruns and drinking a lot.

subzali
04-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Righto, misunderstood what you meant by punch cards. My dad I think has mentioned something about the punch cards you guys are talking about. Yeah you're a bunch of old farts :p: